Why become a member? ×

plectrum playing

FinnDave

I have no wish to reopen the eternal pick vs fingers argument, but as a long term finger style player, I had to use a plectrum at tonight's rehearsal due to problems with my right hand (badly broken wrist in a motorcycle accident 3 months ago). One of my playing fingers has scar tissue which is causing its tendon to become painful when I play. I had to swap to a pick after the first song, and the last time I used one was about 30 years ago.

I like the sound, clear and bright but still a gutsy Precision sound. Does anyone have any general tips on playing with a pick? Raise or lower the bass from my finger style position? I am holding the pick (large Gibson style) between thumb and forefinger, the ball of thumb aches with he effort of gripping it after a song or two (another legacy of the accident). Again, any advice on how to grip it?

I am planning to use a pick for our gig on Saturday. What could possibly go wrong? :crazy:

I am a very occasional pick player. I have to work very hard not to grip it too tightly, if I do my forefinger knuckle joint becomes painful. When pick playing, I mute the strings very slightly at the bridge to compensate for the fact that my fingers aren't free to do so.
I sometimes play with my thumb instead of a pick to spread the load

Might be worth trying something like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jim-Dunlop-9002P-Medium-Player/dp/B0009R3I8A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457652677&sr=8-1&keywords=thumb+pick

(Other thumb picks are available).

You still have to grip it, but they're harder to drop if you're not used to using a pick.

Edit.

On the rare occasions when I pick up a skinny string these days I sometimes get a bit of an ache in my pick gripping hand, which I reckon is mainly through lack of use, so the discomfort you're experiencing may not be entirely down to your injuries.

Edited by Cato

Try a lot of different kinds and thicknesses of picks. They can make a huge difference, I'll even sometimes change the type of pick I am using depending on what song I am playing.

If you're struggling to grip it, try to find a pick that is easier to hold. For you that might be a different material or something with ridges on it. Just try as many as you can.

I play with whatever the song sounds best with.
My most recent piece for the BC comp is played with plectrum.
I find resting the plectrum on the side of my index finger & holding it there with my thumb is the most comfy.
I have a sore ball joint on my right thumb too. Try not to hold it too tightly.

+1 for pick thickness. Find one that you're comfortable with.
For me, that's a .73mm.

Edited by xgsjx

Thanks for the advice, I am kind of limited in my options as the gig is the day after tomorrow and I won't have time to visit a music shop before then. I have a few picks like Gibson 351s in medium weight, left over from a long forgotten attempt to play guitar.

Not gripping too hard is good advice, though I do worry about dropping the pick. Having a few spares on my amp should sort that out.

This is what you need - a thumb pick

[IMG]http://i64.tinypic.com/1zlbskx.jpg[/IMG]

Get it from here...

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/accessories-c2/picks-plectrums-c50/jim-dunlop-jim-dunlop-white-plastic-single-guitar-thumb-pick-medium-9002r-p5205/s5247?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=jim-dunlop-white-plastic-single-guitar-thumb-pick-medium-9002r-jd9002r&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=CKKupJGmt8sCFRBmGwodHgAOvQ

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1457654502' post='3000783']
Less likely to drop it, obviously, and will stop that thumb ache from over gripping

The only weird bit is that they want £1.50 to deliver something costing £1.30
[/quote]

Can't really post much for less than that!

Where abouts in Oxfordshire are you?

I've been working on this myself having always been a finger style player... I saw a video of Bobby Vega on here somewhere recently and decided I'd very much like to be able to play like that should the situation call for it :)

I'm getting there, although I'm not sure my technique would pass for "correct"... I'm finding I have to approach it slightly differently to when I'm playing guitar with a pick, I've actually got my index and middle finger on the underside of the pick when using it for bass :blink:

When you play with a pick, the movement should be from the wrist, not the elbow.
It will make it less tiring for you, and if needed, will allow you to play faster.
If you aren't used to playing with a pick, and you plan on doing so on saturday, i'd probably say that thinner is better!

I played with a pick exclusively for decades before playing fingerstyle, now I do both and am completely bisexual. Is that what I mean? :D If you're finding the pick difficult to hold it may be worth using a more flexible one. I've always used Gold Herco .50 nylon picks which are too thin for some, but are a lot less effort to use... you simply turn your amp up a bit. I rest my right palm over the bridge and palm mute when necessary. This stops your right wrist from aching too much as you support your wrist on the bridge and pivot the pick from there. I don't have the bass in a different position for each style, not necessary. Hope this helps matey, good luck.

Edit: Pre-empted somewhat by Funk-Bloke! ^ ^ He is right, however.

Edited by discreet

While a thumb pick might be a good move in the long term I find they feel very unnatural to start with. I find a large guitar pick much easier when switching. I'm not saying don't do it but simply approach with caution. To some extent it depends on how you shape your plucking hand (I typed that carefully). Most guitarists anchor their pinky on the body; I have never been able to do that and end up with a floating hand which probably does not help.

I've been fingers for at least the last 15 years, but I still practice with a pick from time to tie just to keep my eye in. Sometimes you want that sound. Palm muting with a pick sounds great.

+1 for the thumb pick. As well as the security, it lets you bring your other fingers in on the act, which makes for some interesting riffs.

As for the old 'proper bass player' argument... Two words... Steve Swallow! :)

I can see this is going to be a challenge, very little grip in the middle finger and not a lot of wrist movement. I tried a couple of picks that our guitarist had last night, one was thick with a mulled in grip but my hand tired quickly, the other was a medium weight Gibson style, which I just about managed with, though needed to stretch between songs, also the pick moved between my fingers and I needed both hands to reposition it as my right hand was locking up. Still as my physio said yesterday, I'm lucky to still have a right hand! It was quite a bad accident, and only three months ago, but tomorrow's gig was booked last Autumn and has been my target since the day of the accident.

I will experiment with strap height if I get a chance today, I found I was holding the pick at an angle to the strings and think if I raised the bass a couple of inches, it would be straighter, which hopefully will reduce the effort needed to keep stop the damn thing rotating between finger and thumb.

As others have said I'd start with a thin pick since you're in a bit of a tight spot.
It'll bend more as you hit the string so you won't have to grip it as tightly and you'll have less chance of dropping it because of this.

As for playing position it's whatever feels most comfortable for you. I play with my bass low so my right arm pretty much straight, otherwise my elbow aches if it's any higher. But that's just me.
However, since you're in a rush, is suggest leaving your strap at whatever length you usually have it. If you lower it it will also change your left hand positioning which can be difficult, uncomfortable or even painful if you're not used to it.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1457682876' post='3000854']
I played with a pick exclusively for decades before playing fingerstyle, now I do both and am completely bisexual. Is that what I mean? :D
[/quote]

No no no, the term is 'ambisexual'.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1457652138' post='3000751']
Does anyone have any general tips on playing with a pick? Again, any advice on how to grip it?
[/quote]

Here is some advice from iconic pick player Carol Kaye. See tips #26 & 27 :

https://www.carolkaye.com/www/education/tips1.htm

[quote name='joeystrange' timestamp='1457685267' post='3000874']
As others have said I'd start with a thin pick since you're in a bit of a tight spot.
It'll bend more as you hit the string so you won't have to grip it as tightly and you'll have less chance of dropping it because of this.
[/quote]

To each their own, but I'd recommend no less than a 1.5mm pick. Any thinner and the hand has to work harder to get the same sound. If the OP is gripping too tightly, then only time and practice will solve the issue.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1457685780' post='3000881']
To each their own, but I'd recommend no less than a 1.5mm pick. Any thinner and the hand has to work harder to get the same sound. If the OP is gripping too tightly, then only time and practice will solve the issue.
[/quote]

I used 1.14 dunlop delrin (the pink one) for years, but being quite aggressive, I was shredding them in no time and switched to the 1.5 version (lilac) and found them not only to last longer but give a much more solid tone on a Bass string. When pick playing now, they're all I use.

Edited by LewisK1975