Why become a member? ×

plectrum playing

FinnDave

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1457733394' post='3001518']
It would have made more sense had I just said "like pinching between your thumb & left side of your index finger nail, but not touching the nail". :D

Ignore the pen comment, the more I think about it, the less sense it makes to me too!
[/quote]

I reckon that's close to how I was holding the pick last night, but haven't got one to hand to try now!

Thanks for clearing the pen thing up, been doing all sorts of odd tricks wth end for the last couple of hours :)

I like playing with a pick way more than any other style.
I like the attack and definition it gives.

Is refreshing to hear so many positive comments about pick playing, normally it is just decried as heresy at any opportunity!

My first ever gig got reviewed (as a helpful thing) and the reviewers main comment about the bass player (me) was that "he used a pick, and when he had played longer he would realise fingers are far better".

I`m primarily a pick player, have learnt to play fingerstyle in the past few years, but for band, pick only. I`ve found that using a thicker plectrum - 1.14mm - means I don`t have to dig in so much to get the sound I want. Whereas when I swap to a 0.73mm, well it`s like someone has turned all the lows off on the amp, so I have to hit much harder for the sound I want. I also double-pick, and this I`ve found means I have to grip the pick far less tightly.

All that said though, I`m a pretty aggressive pick player. Even at the Bass Bashes on shootouts which I`ve presented, when I`ve thought I was holding back ,more than a few people have commented that maybe the results would be different with someone who plays less aggressively. I suppose that`s the punk part of me coming to the surface.

Part of my problem with a pick (and probably when I play finger style too) is that I can't stop myself really laying into the playing, OK, so I play softly when there's a quiet section, but we don't have many of those, and the band always wants me to drive the music along with the bass.

I've 'acquired' a whole load of picks 'Gibson 351' shaped, punched from credit cards and similar. I'll have to use them tonight as I have no alternative. I have suggested that the audience might like to place bets on how many songs I can stagger through before collapsing!

Looking for plekky inspiration, I remembered this track from a fair old while ago. Turn it up and listen to how well the bass fits in with the medieval instruments. A great instrumental track by any standards, it really builds up the tension.
[color=#BBBBBB][font=Roboto, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]https://youtu.be/j3H2KWuYgtc?t=1[/size][/font][/color]

Dave - here is a fairly graphic example of someone using a thumb pick. I have tried and can't get used to wearing one but, if you can, I think they are a great idea. In your case I would think it ideal.

http://youtu.be/g1T71PGd-J0

Paul, my computer won't open it :( No chance of getting out to a music shop today (especially since the nearest one closed recently) and the gig's tonight. My thumb is not as mobile as it should be either, two metal plates and a lot of screws in my wrist are the problem.

Well, I made it through the gig. Used a plectrum (the same one!) all the way through, first set was an hour, second was about 10 mins longer. Couldn't move my hand after the gig, but working as usual this morning, no more aches and pain than any other morning. I played my US standard Precision through an Ashdown EB180 1x12 combo that was also DI'd into the PA and it sounded different to my usual style, but in some ways better, crisper and more defined. I'm definitely going to practice using a pick even if/when I get the use of my fingers back.

Best of all, I'm back gigging with the band just three months after the accident which left me with a badly broken wrist and a smashed cuboid in my foot.

Well done mate, above and beyond the call of duty I'd say. Definitely get into using a pick. You can actually get better control over your attack and produce a huge variety of sounds depending on how you address the strings with it. My current band suits fingerstyle, but generally I'm happier using a pick in lots of ways. I don't usually advise a scooped sound, but this can sound great with a pick under certain circumstances. Good work.

Thanks, it had to be done, it's been my target since I realised I wasn't going to make the December gigs, this has been the driving force behind my rehabilitation. I used one of my home made ex-credit card picks and it was fine.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1457860145' post='3002317']
Well, I made it through the gig. Used a plectrum (the same one!) all the way through, first set was an hour, second was about 10 mins longer. Couldn't move my hand after the gig, but working as usual this morning, no more aches and pain than any other morning. I played my US standard Precision through an Ashdown EB180 1x12 combo that was also DI'd into the PA and it sounded different to my usual style, but in some ways better, crisper and more defined. I'm definitely going to practice using a pick even if/when I get the use of my fingers back.

Best of all, I'm back gigging with the band just three months after the accident which left me with a badly broken wrist and a smashed cuboid in my foot.
[/quote]

Great news and congrats for getting through the gig! :)

Well done for getting back to playing so quickly.

I was thinking about the grip discussion a bit further up and tried to pay attention when I played yesterday.

Lightly gripped between thumb and index finder tips. Then for heavier playing I add my middle finger.

Bizarrely, I've gone the other way...

Started playing fingerstlye, but then soon realised my fingers weren't fast enough to play what I wanted to play, so went down the plectrum route (favourite is still the Dunlop Nylon 0.73 (grey)).

About 10-12 years back, I got back into passive basses big style and started playing with my fingers again. Now I can keep up, through playing how it feels right for me, not the text books interpretation of what is "right".

Still keep some picks in my case, just in case, but they haven't been used on my bass for some time. Though I have found a use for my unused Dunlop 0.73s. They sound great with my acoustic guitar! :D

I'm using Jim Dunlop Americana tri plectrums. They are for mandolins but they work me on bass.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=jim+dunlop+americana+picks&safe=active&client=ms-android-h3g-gb&sa=X&biw=360&bih=511&tbs=vw:g&tbm=shop&prmd=sinv&srpd=15701922228530733920&prds=epd:2665103104266572345,paur:ClkAsKraX4u9pTeghHwBkwB8fWlmzOZfYsIY3lXZiiOwk2xP4R5v8bUdhMxlJv8SNxDK7nFwnvOjfsbMATzfRfoZh93auSoQc91zIpkzcHTuuCe6EEFsyqVV7RIZAFPVH72qqzNoVQd-ukKBiHpv6vju9o4gYQ,cdl:1,cid:3183547036902911479&ved=0ahUKEwi1-rWnusvLAhWCZpoKHSEiAKEQgTYIwAEwAQ&ei=K5jsVvW4HYLN6QShxICICg

I went from playing 3mm almost exclusively, on bass, for over 20 years, but last year I started using some orange Dunlop .60 picks that I used on my acoustic guitars. From this thread, this seems very light, but even the next size up doesn't feel as comfortable or sound as crisp. And it was from playing a lot of death and black metal on bass that got me started with them. I still use 3mm picks on electric guitar.

I've used Dunlop tortex .60 picks for about 30 years now, thinner picks give you a lot more flexibility in rhythm and tone I think. I normally hold the pick between thumb and first finger not in a fist but at 90 degrees to each other if that makes sense. The main thing for me is getting that sharp fast changing rhythm.

You can also try ukulele leather picks if you want a different effect

[quote name='BobVbass' timestamp='1458370732' post='3006963']
...thinner picks give you a lot more flexibility in rhythm and tone... The main thing for me is getting that sharp fast changing rhythm...
[/quote]

Over decades I've found this too and have always used .50 nylon picks. I find it much easier to control dynamics too.

I use Dunlop Tortex 0.6's for electric. People used to ask why, when they all used heavy picks & heavy strings, well, if light strings are good enough for Iommi, May & Gibbons, they're good enough for me. Plus they just feel far better.