Why become a member? ×

Clip on bass tuner

Kevin Dean

Snarks. I bought one, then the guitarist liked it and bought one, then the other guitarist/drummer wanted one, so I bought another one. Then the mandolin guy from the other band liked it and pinched mine till I took his fave lead hostage, then I bought him one for Xmas... or something like that. We love them.

[quote name='NoirBass' timestamp='1456501595' post='2989729']
Just my two peneth:

I've bought the Korg Pitchclip, TC Polytune clip and the Planet Waves nano.

For me the best of the 3 is the Korg. The TC works great on guitar but the poly tuning is redundant on bass and it struggles to track my E string let alone a low B. The Nano I found too small and the proof of that is that I managed to loose it - worked well until then though.

So given that the Korg tracks all my bass (4 and 5 strings) no problem and is considerably cheaper than the TC it gets my vote.
[/quote]

You say your tc tracks guitar but not bass, hope you don't mind me asking, do you remember to switch it to bass mode when tuning on bass? Only reason I ask is I had terrible problems trying to tune my bass with the tc until I read there was a guitar mode and bass mode on them, when I checked I was trying to tune bass in guitar mode. Once I switched to bass mode problem solved.

Snarks for me too. No tracking problems and really reliable. Work well on all my basses, including a uke!
Whilst not overly keen on adding anything to the headstock of my basses, I think clip on tuners are great.
Unlike pedal tuners, no extra cables needed and you can tune anytime without fuss ( so long as you remember
to turn the volume down on your bass - when I first got mine I didn't....)

I've had a few Snarky tuners over the past few years. Pretty nice little units.

However, I got the TC Electronic Polytune clip on before Christmas - a bargain at £20!!! Works great.

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/kevin_lindsay/media/20160228_180427_1.jpg.html][IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/kevin_lindsay/20160228_180427_1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I use the Korg too. Haven't gigged with my TU-2 for over a year now. Im curious to try the TC though. No massive complaints about the Korg. It can occasionally struggle on the low B and does rattle sometimes on the headstock. But, like I said, haven't used my TU-2 in ages so that's a big plus for it.

[quote name='probablypike' timestamp='1456688425' post='2991477']
I'm surprised so many people are vouching for the tc clip-ons when you can't rotate them.
[/quote]

What bugs me too, is that I want it on the back of the headstock, but I don't want the display upsidedown!

I use the Planet Waves clip on with my Yamaha SLB 200 EUB(it mounts on the tailpiece and has never fallen off and is easy to see)and I have another one on the headstock of my Yamaha RBX750A.A nice feature is the button that inverts the image so it can be mounted below the headstock or above.The unit also swivels.I have one on my "67 Gibson J50 acoustic guitar too.Works for me.

There are at least a couple of generations of these tuners and the latest one is better than the older ones,at least for me.

Edited by Staggering on

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1456742380' post='2991799']
What bugs me too, is that I want it on the back of the headstock, but I don't want the display upsidedown!
[/quote]

The display automatically inverts when you turn it upside down.

I had a Snark which was OK but not very sensitive. I think the TC is better.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1456749211' post='2991856']

The display automatically inverts when you turn it upside down.

I had a Snark which was OK but not very sensitive. I think the TC is better.
[/quote]

Ah, I see. It was really an observation on some I've seen - not the TC one specifically.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1456478285' post='2989356']
I have the tc polytune clip on... it's great. So much so that it's now my only tuner.
[/quote]
Same here, in fact I like it so much that I've somehow lost my boss pedal tuner which I was going to put in my guitar pedal board.

Edited by jazzyvee