Why become a member? ×

Do you have to use chorus on fretless basses?

jazzyvee

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1456351099' post='2988269']
Please can someone tell me how you kill the mwahh on a fretless. I've tried relaxing the truss rod on mine, in the hope that it will help, but I still find I get fed up with it sounding like a sittar.

I'm playing a fretless Streamer with Chromes.
[/quote]

More neck bow (though you've tried that), raise the bridge saddles, use more neck pickup than bridge pickup, roll the tone back, roll off some upper mids at the amp.

Though some fretless basses get much more mwah than others.

Hugh

[quote name='Hugh971' timestamp='1456409984' post='2988719']
More neck bow (though you've tried that), raise the bridge saddles, use more neck pickup than bridge pickup, roll the tone back, roll off some upper mids at the amp.

Though some fretless basses get much more mwah than others.

Hugh
[/quote]
Hi Hugh,
Actually I posted a bit prematurely. I only did the truss relaxation shortly before posting. I tried the bass again this morning and the mwahh is now much more manageable. So, I'm a lot happier now. Thanks Hugh and thanks to all others, even the silly answers too,

Cheers
Rich

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1456440503' post='2989177']

I don't much like mwaah but I love sitar - to me they do not sound at all alike.
[/quote]

I can sort of get the comparison though, the way a note 'blooms' with both instruments

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1456428883' post='2989002']
Hi Hugh,
Actually I posted a bit prematurely. I only did the truss relaxation shortly before posting. I tried the bass again this morning and the mwahh is now much more manageable. So, I'm a lot happier now. Thanks Hugh and thanks to all others, even the silly answers too,

Cheers
Rich
[/quote]

I wasn't being silly when I said fingers, I think it's idiotic to reduce the potential of an instrument when the same effects can be achieved through technique. You'll 'kill' the mwah by either reducing the pressure on the string slightly and/or not sliding or moving - even almost imperceptibly - into notes. It doesn't happen by itself, it takes fingers to produce that effect. Removing the effect by raising action or increasing relief will probably introduce a new set of problems.