Why become a member? ×

12 Y/O starter

jimbartlett

I started at 12 with an awful awful squier P bass... It had a tort guard that looked like jagerbomb vomit... :mellow:

If you're not sure if he'll stick with it, I'd get a cheap and cheerful Harley Benton P to start with, then if he decides bass is for him you can get something better depending on what he likes / dislikes about the P :)

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='jimbartlett' timestamp='1456236783' post='2986884']
Good advice, thanks! He's got small hands so I might go down the Jazz route as the neck won't be as big for him. This looks good

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_jb_75_sb_vintage_serie.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...ntage_serie.htm[/url]
[/quote]

I had a deco version of that and it was an excellent bass in every way. Great fit and finish, Wilkinson pups and d'addario strings as standard. It's a hell of a lot of bass for £100.

I think my deco one was about £40 if you're prepared to wait for one to come up and take the risk.

[quote name='Luulox' timestamp='1456242425' post='2986954']
The old japanese bass collection basses are nice and light and will do him for years. They are not a lot of money secondhand either.
[/quote]

Totally agree...I've got 3, they're keeping my Ritter, ACG and GB Rumour in their cases..

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1456250562' post='2987112']
Almost anything these days is good enough to learn on as long as it's comfortable and can be adjusted to suit

My first bass (also at 12) was a Marlin Slammer complete with peeling chrome on the bridge and I plugged into a Squier 15w guitar combo via a yellow curly cable
[/quote]
WOW! I would have dreamed of a Slammer!
I was about 14 when I borrowed my first bass; a Vox Clubman

I think a full size Harley Benton Jazz would definitely be the order of the day . Or perhaps an Ibanez, which has more "metal Cred" If they are drifting towards that pointy "alternative " phase , I started with an Aria SB loaned off a neighbor about 11 Shame because that bass was far better than I deserved and there known for being a little shorter of neck . I strongly lusted after an explorer bass ..

Took me growing up a bit before I realised that being able to play the thing really well is far cooler than stabbing at chords with the thing around your knee's and having corners that could take an eye out .

Edited by synthaside

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1456250126' post='2987103']
I'd keep clear of Encore as they're a bit weighty.
[/quote]

You have s different experience from me - bought my 12 yo lefty an LH Encore P bass to learn on - came with a practice amp strap and cable - he did learn to play and he still has it after 15 years - as back up to various other basses including a Stingray.

Sounds like a Precision but I think the neck's more of a Jazz width and it's really light - mind you it's only us oldies who worry about bass weights I think. It was never a consideration for me in my youth!!

Encore, Vintage etc etc all make great entry level basses and you can often get them in local shops so can try them out etc etc.

Edited by drTStingray

In fairness, the Encors I've had have been old ones with the truss rod adjustment at the heel end. Things change and I'm sure all manufacturers change their products all the time.

TBH I don't think the OP can go far wrong with any bass that the lad likes the look and tone of.

My advise is don't buy him a starter bass. Buy your son a good quality instrument that sounds the dogs and if it costs a bit more he will pay you back a thousand fold when he spends hours doing something educational and useful with his time rather than playing a video game with a starter bass standing in the corner. Seriously, when I was a kid my family was skint. My uncle bought me and my two brothers a guitar each and two of us play to this day 35 years later because he gave us a good instrument. If its good enough for your to play its good enough for him. Wish you all the best starting your son out, invest in his potential.

Ibanez SR all the way. Light as a feather, full-scale but skinny neck ideal for growing hands, properly well made with decent hardware, electronics & pups - easily good enough that there's no need to upgrade if he really gets into it. And they look cool.

Pretty cheap used, you can pick up a nearly new SR300 for a little over a ton, or an older higher-range model for about the same. I recently got a rough but perfectly playable SR500 for £87.

Jon.