Why become a member? ×

"Could you turn your backline down a bit ? "

JohnFitzgerald

It is an in house spec and the desk is hired in as well.
If a touring band booked there asks for additional monitors and more
than the house has, and a special type of desk, they have to hire-in.
When I was touting for a P.A, it was suggested I buy in a certain level
of monitors to compliment the stock by the engr who invarible does the house sound.
DB, Martin, Meyer were mentioned amongst others.
I never bought them back then but it is quite common to hire in extra kit here so it
makes sense.
I'm not interested in Hire so much but for theatre jobs and a couple of friendly venues it
makes sense.
Same as a bass rig which I've hired out as well.

What's an in house spec? Desk hired in where?

Compliment the stock of the engineer? What? So s/he doesn't have to fund cab costs but has one available from you (at a price admittedly)if they happened to need it? Huh? Somebody's using you.

DB still seems the runt of the litter in that list...

Theatre?? What sort of theatre doesn't have a house sound system? Or are we talking small musical theatre groups that hire a church hall and small PA?

Your posts make no sense.

Short answer to "Could you turn your backline down a bit?" is NO.

Band runs the show, not the soundguy.
He will not get sub lows coming off the stage.
We can haz shelving EQ cutting off any subs from the bass stack on stage.

Why do we need a 250w all valve head? Because we can and it sounds dope.

Next.

[quote name='DiMarco' timestamp='1454107994' post='2966651']

Next.
[/quote]

This attitude will get you far, go forth and prosper, lol.

Just arrived home from my pub gig, it was a pair of those Bose tower things they sounded great, until the sound guy (land lord) started messing with knobs but the punters were happy and they want us back so what can you do?
£50 each and next time I'll just use a DI box so one lead and one bass, essentially a jam night where we play all night and get paid, fine by me regardless of what pa they use!

[quote name='JohnFitzgerald' timestamp='1453570380' post='2960685']
Did a gig last night in a place in Glasgow called King Tut's Wah Wah Hut.

Always wanted to, it's quite an iconic venue.

During the sound check the engineer asked if I wouldn't mind turning my backline down a little as it was messing with overall front of house levels. I totally understand why he'd want me to do that and promptly obliged. No problem at all. Here's the thing.

I was one approx 1/4 on my master volume with the input stage just short of clipping and EQ flat. This was all into the 125w (no extension cab, so 8 omh load) of my Markbass 1 x 15 combo.

It was certainly loud enough for me and I'm sure he did a grand job out front.

Here's my question.

Why is it we need amps of several hundred watts or even thousands and, more to the point, why do we need higher SPL from the speaker than that very modest amp will provide ?

What is it that all you guys are doing that means you need such high sound levels ?

I'm still not sure I get it, after all this time, sorry for being a bit dim here.
[/quote]

I posted a similar thread to yours before Christmas.

It baffles me.

:)

Next.
[/quote]

I'm not trying to be rude, but that's plain daft. If you go to the trouble and expense of employing a sound engineer at a gig, and he tells you to turn down, it's for a reason. The usual reason being that he, and therefore the audience can hear your amp over the PA. He's there to control the sound, if he has no control over the sound, then he can't do his job, which makes your employing him a waste of money.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/271667-why-do-we-play-so-loud/page__st__90__p__2893124__hl__why%20do%20we%20play%20so%20loud__fromsearch__1#entry2893124"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/271667-why-do-we-play-so-loud/page__st__90__p__2893124__hl__why%20do%20we%20play%20so%20loud__fromsearch__1#entry2893124[/url]

Just in from out first gig of the year, in a local youth centre. Here's some snaps, and a comment or two roughly on topic...

Just for fun, and too late for the Basschat Photo Challenge on Pink Floyd cover covers, here's the loaded truck...

... and again. Only local, so not 'optimised' loading..!

More to the point, here's a stage view of the place, capacity about 100 or so ...

Here's the stage layout; the HK tops and subs in the foreground. He's busy cabling up the mics...

A view from the console, slightly eccentric so as not to take up audience space...

...and the final stage. The acoustics are for the opening act, a couple of blokes doing '70s hits revisited. They sang well...

There we are; a pretty average venue for the stuff we do. The sound man put a pair of overheads, a kick and a snare mic. Two mics on the Mesa-Marshall half stack stage left, another on the Marshall half stack stage right and a DI for the bass. Two vocal mics, 3 wedges for monitoring; two in front and one for me beside the drums. About 1/2 hour for the sound check, running through a pretty dynamic number (Walk Unafraid, REM...) to check it out.
Yes, our backline is quite meaty. Yes, Some of our repertoire has cracking rimshots, a bit of 'blast beats', some cymbals crescendos. It's not that loud that ear defenders are required (although the venue does provide 'em for those wanting 'em...). The bloke on the console didn't ask any of us to turn down (nor to turn up..!); he handled it from the modest but satisfactory console. Our foldback was excellent (basically, just the vox...), the evening went splendidly, the 30 or so folks that came out on a wet Friday evening to attend a free concert were enchanted, and the organisers were equally well pleased with our prestation. No snags, no technical hitches, no swollen heads; a modestly great evening was had by all. We were well fed and watered, too ('dip' aperitif starters, fish or classic lasagne, several cheeses, green salad, home-baked apple tart... Yum..!).
So... Yes, we have around 500w of valve backline. Yes, we play pop-rock that sometimes can get noisy (Highway to Hell as an encore following on from Killing in the Name Of..?). No, it's not too loud; that would be silly. Do we need all of this..? We think so, as this is the sort of places we normally play. Do we send out a tech sheet with our needs..? If it'll help, yes, but our needs are extremely modest. Do we need uber gear supplied..? 'Twould make no difference if we did, as we wouldn't ever get it. No, HK is fine for us (that's what we rehearse with...). If there's less than that, we'll do without; we play the same, anyway. The only thing we need to have right is getting the vocal across, as our singer is excellent, and deserves it.
There you are, then; a rare glimpse into the murky world of The Daub'z. Others may have other needs, and that's fine too, of course. B)

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1454138765' post='2966780']
I need extra monitors, what's that all about?! Wouldn't get many gigs round my end doing that, probably zero.
[/quote]

That's exactly the same quantity of gigs that would be dished out around here if you rang The tickled trout asking for a minimum of 8 db or (d and b?) monitors!

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1454148295' post='2966874']
I suppose if anyone is in Kent they could pop down and support JTUK tonight and hear the touring grade PA complete with more monitors than most at the Windmill?

[url="http://www.windmillinnashford.co.uk/event/grand-slam-jts-allstars/"]http://www.windmillinnashford.co.uk/event/grand-slam-jts-allstars/[/url]

B)
[/quote]

I'm there.

I think the best mindset is: Play to the gig

In essence, you know you're playing to a small/medium venue this week, with a limited speaker system - volume doesn't go higher than 12 o'clock, check you aren't louder than everyone else, but make sure you can hear yourself.

Medium/large - DI'd, or mic'd (depending on the sound guy). Work with them on works best and again, make sure you aren't louder than everyone else on stage, but you can hear yourself.

No matter how great you think it is to have a loud bass on stage and it sounds great. The sound guy might not think so and he's the one who will make the gig great or terrible for the audience.

The head room you have on your chosen amp can allow you to play to the gig. My preference is to have 1 system that can accommodate both.

Next.
[/quote]

Why do you bother with a sound guy if you don't let him manage the sound?
:lol:

Great attitude, I bet you sound great ;)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1454164759' post='2967126']

Why do you bother with a sound guy if you don't let him manage the sound?
:lol:

Great attitude, I bet you sound great ;)
[/quote]

I want to hear this band too... Because I think I already know how they sound.

Our setup for tonight's gig - bit bored while waiting to souncheck

[Img] http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/christopher_brown14/20160130_190844_zpsoekrcqt9.jpg[/IMG]

PA monitors are Turbosound, and subs/boxes on sticks are RCF. Usually sounds fine here.
The soundguy is nice enough. It's all about a mutual respect - appreciating what the other needs to get done.

I say that now, but will probably post calling him a twat in ten minutes :D

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1454181315' post='2967358']
Our setup for tonight's gig - bit bored while waiting to souncheck

PA monitors are Turbosound, and subs/boxes on sticks are RCF. Usually sounds fine here.
The soundguy is nice enough. It's all about a mutual respect - appreciating what the other needs to get done.

I say that now, but will probably post calling him a twat in ten minutes :D
[/quote]

What's the venue? Looks like a school hall! (Nothing wrong with that mind, I've played a few.)