Why become a member? ×

"Could you turn your backline down a bit ? "

JohnFitzgerald

[quote name='JohnFitzgerald' timestamp='1453570380' post='2960685']

Here's my question.

Why is it we need amps of several hundred watts or even thousands and, more to the point, why do we need higher SPL from the speaker than that very modest amp will provide ?

What is it that all you guys are doing that means you need such high sound levels ?

I'm still not sure I get it, after all this time, sorry for being a bit dim here.
[/quote]

For me, its not about needing to be excessively loud onstage (I always match against the un-amplified drum vol) but you don't need to play many ordinary gig venues before you realise that a low-powered rig will come up short on some occasions, whereas a decent 500w amp will see you right pretty much anywhere. The fact is that, in most venues, you get what you're given in terms of PA (and sometimes there isn't a full PA at all, even if you're told there is one, due to things being unexpectedly swapped about), or the venue develops weird acoustics when the place fills up, or there's no room onstage for suitable monitor placement, or the sound guy has sloped off for a smoke mid set - or whatever. But if you've got more on tap (within reason of course), its going to be a more enjoyable gig than if you're stuck not hearing a thing.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1453752054' post='2962493']
Here's your first problem. Any sound tech worth their salt would never use an onboard DI. The amp dies, so does all direct signal to the desk. Chance of a DI box failing? - very low in comparison.
[/quote]

it's music, not flying a plane that may crash if something malfunctions... if the amp dies, quick swap to DI box and carry on.
How often does an amp fail?

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1453789425' post='2962686']
... but they would still be happy to mic up a guitarist using a board of dodgy old pedals and a valve amp with a vastly higher probability of kit failure in the signal chain ??, makes no sense whatsoever. About the lamest excuse for not wanting to take an amp output I've ever heard (and not one I've come across in real life).
[/quote]

:lol: nicely put

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1453794232' post='2962709']
If you are sending your bass signal pre eq the first part of your post is irrelevant as their is a requirement for the guitarists amp sound to be captured, not so with a pre eq di.
[/quote]

my pedals (non dodgy, 'though) go before the amp, and will be present in the preEQ DI...

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1453795401' post='2962720']
In any mission critical gig, it will be normal. I'm not talking your average originals venue where a guys DI box is likely to go missing. I played on a live TV broadcast
[/quote]

well, this is one case where if I can have redundancy to cover my ass just in case, no matter how unlikely, I would go for redundancy... but this is not the usual gig for most here

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1453819775' post='2963061']
it's music, not flying a plane that may crash if something malfunctions... if the amp dies, quick swap to DI box and carry on.
[/quote]

As I've alluded to, it depends upon the gig. You remember a gig somewhat like The Queen's Diamond Jubilee concert - live, very high profile? You reckon for the sake of a DI box you'd take the risk of using an onboard DI? If the amp goes down, it would be the sound guys fault for being a loss of signal, not the amp manufacturers. Besides, you want to maximise the focus on the shoddy singing from the second rate pop stars...

Amp failures? Well... that depends upon who made it and if fire takes out the DI.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1453820135' post='2963067']
well, this is one case where if I can have redundancy to cover my ass just in case, no matter how unlikely, I would go for redundancy... but this is not the usual gig for most here
[/quote]

Agreed. I have known a bass rig go at a concert and the reaction from the crew was embarrassing - and everybody looked at the bass player as if it was his problem he couldn't be heard. It's the sort of embarrassing situation that ends up on YouTube... and can knacker a band's reputation.

All could have been solved if they had used a DI box.

Old Stan at the Tickled Trout wouldn't have put up with it - they all use digital wireless and bypass the need for a DI box altogether by running Dante straight to the mixer.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1453819775' post='2963061']
[/quote]

In my experience, once every forty years. Your mileage may vary. ;)

Edit: Make that twice. But the other time wasn't during a gig.

Edited by discreet

I use a 500watt rig so im ready for anything, and i dont need more than one rig to do a gig. Not sure how "obsessed" i am over gear. I dont waste money on different rigs for different gigs. One rig does it all.
We never play through a big PA, and the few times i have the tone coming out of the monitors was not my tone, so they couldn't possible replace my rig and in no way was it enjoyable.

@Mark. sorry, I hadnt seen your post when i was typing mine, just dont want you to think mine was aimed at you.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1453821219' post='2963091']
Sound garden had two ampegs die in as many songs in Birmingham, probably on you tube, their best two songs performed without bass that a di box would have solved :-(
[/quote]

Tsk! Can you imagine a professional band relying on Ampeg equipment!? Mad!! :D ;)

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1453820359' post='2963074']
As I've alluded to, it depends upon the gig. You remember a gig somewhat like The Queen's Diamond Jubilee concert - live, very high profile? You reckon for the sake of a DI box you'd take the risk of using an onboard DI? If the amp goes down, it would be the sound guys fault for being a loss of signal, not the amp manufacturers. Besides, you want to maximise the focus on the shoddy singing from the second rate pop stars...

Amp failures? Well... that depends upon who made it and if fire takes out the DI.
[/quote]

No, in a later post you clarified your point nicely. I'd agree with that.

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1453821353' post='2963093']
Do people realise that the tone of their amp on stage is not the same as the punters out front are hearing?
[/quote]

Eh? I walk around the room at sound check and dont hear much difference to what i hear on stage.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1453821522' post='2963098']
Eh? I walk around the room at sound check and dont hear much difference to what i hear on stage.
[/quote]

I think sj67 is meaning if it comes through the PA where your signal has likely been subjected to various processing. If it's just your rig amplifying the bass, then yeah, you're going to hear things a lot more uniform.