Why become a member? ×

"Could you turn your backline down a bit ? "

JohnFitzgerald

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1453589697' post='2960930']

IF there's a decent monitor available that's occasionally true but it's also dependent on the engineer knowing how to or caring enough to get you a sound that works on stage. Very few bass players can guarantee what monitor will be at the next gig. I'd rather own a decent amp so I know there will always be decent bass that drummer and I can both hear and it be overkill than not owning a decent amp and struggling when the monitors or engineer aren't up to par. In ears are all well and good if the whole band subscribes but I do heaps of depping and sometimes it's in ear but more often than not it's a mix of backline and wedges.
[/quote]

I concur . Most venues I've played with PA supplied have had sh*t monitors for bass or just didn't put bass through, so my back line had to be loud enough to cut through

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1454008242' post='2965408']
I concur . Most venues I've played with PA supplied have had sh*t monitors for bass or just didn't put bass through, so my back line had to be loud enough to cut through
[/quote]

Yes, it is something you learn pretty early on. That is also why you ask. IMO.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1454013062' post='2965508']
And what do you do about it if said monitors are confirmed as pants?
[/quote]

Take a rig for the stage and make alternative provisions,
That is the wonder of telephone calls ahead

If the P.A was booked by someone else, then I'd mention it wasn't
very good...
If I didn't mention it, the vocalist would, more than likely, so it isn't something
that wouldn't be commented on.
And certain guys wouldn't work that way again so I'd probably lose them off the gig

So, it is just easier doing things properly in the first place.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1454014582' post='2965544']

Take a rig for the stage and make alternative provisions,
That is the wonder of telephone calls ahead

If the P.A was booked by someone else, then I'd mention it wasn't
very good...
If I didn't mention it, the vocalist would, more than likely, so it isn't something
that wouldn't be commented on.
And certain guys wouldn't work that way again so I'd probably lose them off the gig

So, it is just easier doing things properly in the first place.
[/quote]

"You don't think the gear is suitable? No worries, we can just get another band."

Edited by EBS_freak

It is the same if the customer bulks at the fee and at some point you have to walk away.

You will lose a few gigs but the judgement call is that it are not worth doing them.

I'm quite capable of messing up a gig..I don't need someone else doing it for me
and getting the blame.. :lol: and I don't need to lose players I've cultivated by
suddenly not being 'available'..

These guys will do a pub or two..but mainly that is not the gig they are after
so I don't feed them problem gigs...
I'd only get away with that once or twice.

In most of my posts, this theme is pretty constant as in do it properly or not at all.

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1454066769' post='2965962']
I suppose the gigs you turn down due to a brand of pa you dislike or the fee is not enough you might call "the ones that got away"?
[/quote]

Yep...:lol: but I'd probably be glad about it as well...tbh.

If I quote a price and someone comes back way off that price... then you walk away, surely.
There will always be someone cheaper anyway... so to me, it is the same thing.

As for gear at an event, I'd bill for that.

There is minimum spec and I get the point about gear that has had a hard life, but this is all
about having dealings with people who are on the same page, IMO...and what is required/desired on the gig

As it happens, I'm looking for some high quality monitors..and by that I mean better than QSC..
so Martin, Turbosound or DB etc and I'll use them for vox out front or stage monitors

I'll either hire them to the band or I'll sub them to a P.A company as there are never enough
quality monitors to go around,I've found, and the local venue can't afford to have more than 6 of them.
I'd sub to them when a touring act comes through because their riders always specify DB model or Equivalent..

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1454089471' post='2966395']
Yep... :lol: but I'd probably be glad about it as well...tbh.

If I quote a price and someone comes back way off that price... then you walk away, surely.
There will always be someone cheaper anyway... so to me, it is the same thing.

As for gear at an event, I'd bill for that.

There is minimum spec and I get the point about gear that has had a hard life, but this is all
about having dealings with people who are on the same page, IMO...and what is required/desired on the gig

As it happens, I'm looking for some high quality monitors..and by that I mean better than QSC..
so Martin, Turbosound or DB etc and I'll use them for vox out front or stage monitors

I'll either hire them to the band or I'll sub them to a P.A company as there are never enough
quality monitors to go around,I've found, and the local venue can't afford to have more than 6 of them.
I'd sub to them when a touring act comes through because their riders always specify DB model or Equivalent..
[/quote]

This post is just very odd.

You'll hire your monitors to a PA company? What sort of two bit PA companies are running round your way? Hiring stuff off you? Professional PA company? Nah. I just don't believe it... or don't believe you are dealing with a pro PA company.

Hire to another band? I can believe that one more... but most bands won't want to spend a penny... and will do without.

As for "affording more than 6 monitors"? I think you'll find it more to do with the fact that even high end analogue desks generally top out at 6 aux mixes. It's only when you get into the realms of digital that the aux count gets significantly higher.

And if you need more than 6 monitors with your band at The Tickled Trout, you are doing something very wrong. Having that many monitors and a number of open mics in an enclosed space is going to be feedback central, unless you are carrying around some serious 31 band eq stuff for each monitor - which of course, I guess you ask about also?

Am sorry to say this - but I think your posts are harmful and misleading to those embarking on their bass journey... because the reality is nothing like what you paint. The most hardened professionals I know, are out on tours playing stadiums, yes - REAL stadiums (not some figment of the imagination or some warped view on what their gig at the working men's club was) and are equally at home at the Tickled Trout - and they certainly make zero phone calls about anything. You just get on with the job and do it with whatever is available to them - if that's no monitoring, so be it.

I'm surprised that if your approach to gigging is like this, you do any gigs at all? Yes, by all means, carry around your own PA, lots of people do - but seriously... this expectation on gear and PA at the venues you are playing - it's ridiculous.

Edited by EBS_freak