Why become a member? ×

"Could you turn your backline down a bit ? "

JohnFitzgerald

This thread has really killed me. I've been laughing so hard my wife thinks that I could have a stroke if I don't stop.

On a serious level, it's taken me a while to figure out why it's so funny. It's because it's like a paraphrase of Spinal Tap. I really hope this doesn't come over as trolling as I'm just trying to explain my somewhat non-sensical thoughts.

JT has always stated that he and his band are very discerning about what kind of gigs they play. Spinal Tap were 2nd on the bill to a puppet show. From the photo a few pages back it looks like JT's band were playing 2nd to the FA Cup replay of Crewe vs Scunthorpe judging by the plasma screen in the background.

It also has echoes of the "lick my love pump" scene. When mentioning to musician friends what JT expects from a venue in terms of payment, professional PA and class of band, friends ask where his band could be playing assuming it to be somewhere large and well known. "The Tickled Trout."

Famously Spinal Tap had amps which went to 11. In JT's case the PA must be able to handle Wembley stadium without breaking a sweat.

It all seems vastly silly which is why I find this thread hysterical in the extreme.

I hasten to add I've never heard JT or his band play and my comments are based on the absurdity of this thread rather than some form of comment on his or their playing or such.

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1455271977' post='2977613']
It's nothing to do with down sizing, volume knob job done.
[/quote]

Indeed. Lets remember that volume is measured in decibels - not watts, not speaker size, nor cab brand or cab weight.

Although I do hear that d&b (or is that db) make some awesome monitors.

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1455271977' post='2977613']

It's nothing to do with down sizing, volume knob job done.
[/quote]

You can play around with the volume knob to your heart's content, but it won't make an Ampeg 410 any lighter or physically smaller. Reducing audible volume does not reduce physical volume to make it more practical for smaller venues.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1455276073' post='2977655']
You can play around with the volume knob to your heart's content, but it won't make an Ampeg 410 any lighter or physically smaller. Reducing audible volume does not reduce physical volume to make it more practical for smaller venues.
[/quote]

Have you not read the thread's title?

(And you can't get much smaller than a single 15 as mentioned in the first post)

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='william64' timestamp='1454917851' post='2974052']
Thanks a lot for all of your posts as I've been thinking about this matter lately. I play Ampeg 4*10 and I would like to downsize into 1*12 (Aguillar, Eden, etc) at least for some small venues.
[/quote]
[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1454931911' post='2974231']
I used to play with an Ampeg 4x10 , but changed to a Barefaced 2x12
Never looked back. So light with an awesome sound!
[/quote]
[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1455268964' post='2977582']
The boy was talking about downsizing. What's wrong with a suggestion from someone that's done it successfully?
[/quote]
[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1455276073' post='2977655']

[/quote]

The problem started here, Williams post was out of context and made no sense to me and has nothing to do with the thread. Odd

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1455281240' post='2977730']
I suppose it doesn't matter if one thread spawns another does it?
[/quote]

Absolutely not, but there should be some relevance. Otherwise it's like having a conversation in a mental hospital. (I'm sure some of you know what I mean).