Why become a member? ×

"Could you turn your backline down a bit ? "

JohnFitzgerald

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1455717830' post='2981769']
Back on topic, though, ears are rather sensitive to frequency as well as volume, so it might be worth playing in a different quay.
[/quote]

But are we going to phone up venues to see if the monitors are happy if we change keys on them?

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1453586936' post='2960914']

But the signal can be processed with much more expensive eq kit than we tend to have in our amps, by the time it hits the monitors the flub and wasted power that we feed our bass cabs can be removed giving a monster bass tone right in your face.
[/quote]This leads on to another hobby horse of mine. if the Sound tech takes out the sub 30-35Hz crap that many bass amps put out that will be one of the reasons the Floor monitor sounds better. It is an HPF and they should be fitted to all bass amps. However most will be less than ideal for bass. As for IEMs, it makes sense for vocals but not for bass. Remember that your back line is a part of your instrument, like the body on an acoustic guitar.

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1455744867' post='2982123']
This leads on to another hobby horse of mine. if the Sound tech takes out the sub 30-35Hz crap that many bass amps put out that will be one of the reasons the Floor monitor sounds better. It is an HPF and they should be fitted to all bass amps. However most will be less than ideal for bass. As for IEMs, it makes sense for vocals but not for bass. Remember that your back line is a part of your instrument, like the body on an acoustic guitar.
[/quote]

A lot of bass amps do have hpfs... As do a lot of onboard preamps in basses. Some don't. They are the problematic ones.

The reason a lot of monitors don't sound great for bass is that they aren't great monitors. Great monitors are great for bass... It's just that great monitors aren't commonplace. It's the first saving to be had in a PA setup.

IEMs not good for bass? Me and my JHA Roxannes would argue with you over that til the cows come home. Those IEMs develop more bass than any other setup I've known and enable me to hear everything exactly how I want. There's no wedge that can do that for me. I'd be interested to learn more why you think IEMs don't make sense for bass.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1455757214' post='2982252']

A lot of bass amps do have hpfs... As do a lot of onboard preamps in basses. Some don't. They are the problematic ones.

The reason a lot of monitors don't sound great for bass is that they aren't great monitors. Great monitors are great for bass... It's just that great monitors aren't commonplace. It's the first saving to be had in a PA setup.

IEMs not good for bass? Me and my JHA Roxannes would argue with you over that til the cows come home. Those IEMs develop more bass than any other setup I've known and enable me to hear everything exactly how I want. There's no wedge that can do that for me. I'd be interested to learn more why you think IEMs don't make sense for bass.
[/quote]
Just out interest do you guys use customs? I have been looking at 1964's they seem all,the rage at the moment.

I have customs yes.

1964s are great - I have experience of those also. Although get in quick for 1964s as they are rebranding and pushing the Adel stuff so the price is gonna rise! 64s really are great value for money at the moment The great thing about 64 and JHA is that the piece are actually designed by guys with great ears - they are both monitoring engineers.

There's a big thread on IEM in accessories and misc forum. Worth a read.