Why become a member? ×

Which endorsed players are big enough to sell (large quantities of) equipment...?

EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1452610266' post='2951608']
Those charts don't give you sales figures though...
[/quote]

No, but can give you an idea of popularity, and to give a little perspective, when I first looked at the Steve Harris bass, Andertons show that they are holding stock of 8 units. Now I would have thought that a store like that would run a lean operation, so they must be expecting those to sell pretty quickly. I know that gives no way of calculating Thomann sales, but does suggest to me that it is a pretty healthy market (far bigger than I expected when I first weighed in on the thread)!

Sometimes a signature model outgrows its original intended market demographic, the ultimate example being the Gibson Les Paul.

The Nate Mendel's were gathering a pretty good reputation for themselves even before the Scott Devine association. I've heard a couple of conversations along the lines of 'I'm not really sure who Nate Mendel is, the relicing is so subtle it seems almost completely pointless but these are damn good precisions..'

Edited by Cato

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1452610405' post='2951613']

For me, it was Macca and the violin bass. Still never owned one though... because as my playing progressed, I realised that a Hofner was not for me for what I wanted to be doing.

Who were the 4001 users that gained your interest?
[/quote]

I quickly came to realise that a Rickenbacker 4001 was not for me, not before owning two of them though.....

Players that gained my interest were the standard Rick playing ones really, Squire, Geddy Lee, Hawkwind era Lemmy, Ashley Hutchings from Fairport too. Also a lot of people were using them in the late 70s in punk & new wave bands & I just thought they sounded great & looked cool as f***.
Found out pretty quickly that Ricks weren't for me though, but that's all part of the fun of learning about gear when you first start playing, isn't it?

Edited by RhysP

Names don't make me buy anything but if I were in the market for a new amp (say) and I listen to a load of bands & the few bassists whose tone I liked the most all seemed to be using the same amp, I would add it to the "to check out in person" list. I don't know if that still counts as the power of endorsements or not but it's the only way such things working on me.

I don't know the name of the bass player from most of the bands I like and I certainly don't know what they look like so seeing them posing in a magazine with something isn't going to do much for me.

Warwick seem to do most of their ads as endorsements. This months BGM has an up and coming Bassist 'Adam Clayton' ( never heard of him) on P3 and on p 89 12 Professor Bassists for their imminent Bass Camp.
Last month Warwick had 'Robert Trujillo' in BGM, Aquilar had Paul Turner and Ernie Ball Strings had Pino playing a MM. Cort had Jeff Berlin too so the model seems to be celebrity endorsements.
Do these translate into Sales, only the manufacturers would know?

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1452610589' post='2951617']
but does suggest to me that it is a pretty healthy market (far bigger than I expected when I first weighed in on the thread)!
[/quote]

Agreed - quite an interesting discovery!

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1452611714' post='2951640']
Warwick seem to do most of their ads as endorsements. This months BGM has an up and coming Bassist 'Adam Clayton' ( never heard of him) on P3 and on p 89 12 Professor Bassists for their imminent Bass Camp.
Last month Warwick had 'Robert Trujillo' in BGM, Aquilar had Paul Turner[...]
[/quote]

That reminds me... having Warwick and a Jamiroquai bass player next to each other...

Zender shifted a lot of Warwick basses in his Jamiroquai heyday... Not sure if he has much influence now... I don't think so. The Zender signature doesn't seem to have sold in great quantities either - not that I'd know, just that I know I haven't stumbled across any on the forums....

The only one I do know of, is the red one Stuart had made for him... and that is now in the hands of a mutual friend.

I don't think Paul Turner is influencing sales much...? Maybe Barrie knows differently?

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1452613260' post='2951656']
Are you allowed to say that about your own thread :lol:

But yes, quite an eye opener.
[/quote]

It would have been a bit pants if nobody had engaged in conversation! :P (Most people just ignore me, so this is kind of a novelty!)

I suppose if endorsements didn't sell gear then manufacturers wouldn't bother producing them. A friend of the current mrs discreet's teenage daughter asked me to recommend a bass for her to begin playing on, I recommended a Squier VM. The girl demanded (and got) a sparkly silver Mikey Way signature, so there you go.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1452613516' post='2951662']
The market for endorsed gear is aimed at those about 40 years younger than me.

And. . . . dare I say more gullible.

Who still believes that you'll look or sound like your favourite players if you use the same gear?
[/quote]

I don't agree with the first bit Chris (although I don't know what your age is). I think a lot of the signature market is older folk wanting to own the gear of their idols. This may be more the case with guitars rather than basses, as I know a few years back Gibson were definitely targeting older, wealthier customers with guitars that would be hung on a wall.

Which of course brings us on to your second point...!!

The Marcus Miller V7 is an interesting one. To have a signature bass for under £300 seems to be a bargain, and they get good reviews. I would imagine they would shift a fair few, as opposed to most that are well over £500. On the other hand, Sandberg do a Ken Taylor bass for a shade over a grand. The problem with it for me, is that it is called the Sandberg basic Ken Taylor. It shouldn`t matter, but the fact that it is an endorsed bass for over a grand has basic in the name

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1452614040' post='2951672']
I don't agree with the first bit Chris (although I don't know what your age is). I think a lot of the signature market is older folk wanting to own the gear of their idols. This may be more the case with guitars rather than basses, as I know a few years back Gibson were definitely targeting older, wealthier customers with guitars that would be hung on a wall.

Which of course brings us on to your second point...!!
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1452613954' post='2951668']
I suppose if endorsements didn't sell gear then manufacturers wouldn't bother producing them. A friend of the current mrs discreet's teenage daughter asked me to recommend a bass for her to begin playing on, I recommended a Squier VM. The girl demanded (and got) a sparkly silver Mikey Way signature, so there you go.
[/quote]
[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1452614028' post='2951671']
Yo. . . . you just proved my point.
[/quote]

OK, not in every case then :D

[quote name='Luulox' timestamp='1452614072' post='2951674']
Marcus Miller seems to be shifting quite a few sires on here
[/quote]

But does Marcus actually use it? I know there's the video suggesting that he does.... but he's certainly remembered for his Fender bass over a Sire...?

I suspect string endorsements may get more response from the proles,

When I was a teenager I had a basic Encore P copy. I couldn't afford anything more, but I tried all kinds of expensive strings on it, all pretty much based on magazine ads with Jason Newsted, Duff Mckagan or Jeff Ament quoted saying that they were the best tone, most long lasting and comfy to play strings they had ever used.

In recent years though I did notice when I went to a workshop with Martin Simpson, a large number of Sobell models- in fact I'd never heard of Stefan Sobell before I saw his link with MS, I remember seeing a fair number of them in Martin Simpson covers on YT too.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1452614301' post='2951677']
But does Marcus actually use it? I know there's the video suggesting that he does.... but he's certainly remembered for his Fender bass over a Sire...?
[/quote]

His main bass is still his Fender, but he does use the Sire (most recently the 5 string).