Why become a member? ×

Which endorsed players are big enough to sell (large quantities of) equipment...?

EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1452793947' post='2953596']
Funnily enough, I was reading through the Fodera artists page earlier...

...and was staggered to find I hardly knew any of the names.

And so I clicked through/googled some of the names and where there were active websites, found that quite a few of these artists weren't pictured with Foderas. (not so much the first page but the others...

I think Fodera is like a mystical coveted item... you know, you've made it into a certain private members club if you have one... and nobody is really committed to saying how good they really are... or aren't. I certainly wasn't impressed with the sanding marks I found on the couple I played at the Epifani stand in Frankfurt.
[/quote]
Burn!

Pun intended.

Late in the game to weigh in here, but I own two types of signature basses - a Geddy Lee Jazz and an Epiphone Jack Casady

What made me buy them ? Pretty much 100% spec and 0% the names on the headstock.

The Geddy Lee has a fantastic neck and has a Badass, which I would have fitted anyway and the Epiphone....well, how many hollow-bodied basses are out there ?

I'd certainly not buy something solely because someone I liked played one, but I think the 'signature' lines do throw up the odd interesting instrument, such as the Jack Casady now and again.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1452793408' post='2953590']
Haven't read through the whole thread so apologies if I've repeated anyone else but, would many people have paid thousands of pounds/dollars, or indeed even heard of Fodera without Victor Wooten?
[/quote]

Not me!

Also: Flea inspired my first modulus and GK rig. Years later I've gravitated back to the GK sound as that's what's baked in my head I guess!

[quote name='peted' timestamp='1452875226' post='2954364']
I bought a Shuker based on merit of Dan Veall's endorsement. Does that count? ;)
[/quote]

You know what, forums are probably responsible for a lot of sales. Look at what forums did for Barefaced... and speaking of Dood, the bass community probably would not have even heard of a certain wireless system if he hadn't have brought it to attention.

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1452607945' post='2951554']
I'd say in the case of signature basses it can even have the opposite effect. For years I wanted a Yamaha Attitude Ltd but always felt that if I turned up at a gig with one, people would be expecting masses of two handed tapping through a stereo rig at 500mph!
[/quote]

Pretty much this , I played a Attitude Ltd 3 which felt and sounded great , with the normal high quality finish of a Yamaha .
Would love to buy one , but probably won't, as I feel I don't match up to the legend of Mr Sheehan himself .

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1452783740' post='2953482']
Would you prefer it if the name of your instruments wasn't named after Stuart Hamm?

But you are probably right, Fender probably would not have made this instrument if it wasn't for Stuart Hamm... but I'd be with you - my interest in these basses has been down to their specifications rather than the name attached to it.

In fact, one of the reasons I haven't bought a Kingbass is because I don't want to be in that pool where people assume I play a certain way because of the bass that I use...
[/quote]

The five string 32" Kingbass would be one I aspire to as well. Fortunately far too expensive for me to justify.
On the Urge, yes I probably would have preferred it without the Stu Hamm name attached. Thankfully the only thing that identifies it as a 'signature' model is a fairly discreet signature on the end of the head, and (so far) I've managed to resist taking the sander/spray can to it.

And, yes, with any nice gear there is always the problem that it raises peoples expectations as to the quality of what you do, and with signatures there tends to be an expectation of style as well (at least to other bassists - Punters generally don't have a clue, and care even less). Needless to say, anyone who see's my gear and has expectations will be sorely disappointed!

Edited by Count Bassy

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1453065320' post='2956140']
And, yes, with any nice gear there is always the problem that it raises peoples expectations as to the quality of what you do, and with signatures there tends to be an expectation of style as well (at least to other bassists - Punters generally don't have a clue, and care even less). Needless to say, anyone who see's my gear and has expectations will be sorely disappointed!
[/quote]

The amount of times that I have face palmed when somebody brings out a 32" Status strung with 30s to play a function gig, with scooped EQ.... Doesn't really give you the bottom end that you'd want in a covers band.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1452609067' post='2951580']

Actually, that's a good point. I don't really listen to that genre of music... but a bass player mate of mine, who I hadn't spoken to in ages talked about this guy using Dingwall... and how great it sounded with (I think he said this) some Darkglass fx - so I guess he noticed!
[/quote]

Adding on from this, I reckon it's the signature sound of the player that really pushes the sales more than anything else, especially in the rock/metal side of things. Fieldy from Korn and his Ibanez K5 comes to mind as well!

[quote name='Jellyfish' timestamp='1453128308' post='2956599']
Adding on from this, I reckon it's the signature sound of the player that really pushes the sales more than anything else, especially in the rock/metal side of things. Fieldy from Korn and his Ibanez K5 comes to mind as well!
[/quote]

I'd have bought this K5... if it didn't have K5 tat at the 12th fret and that shizz on the headstock...

I wouldn't have wanted to sound anything like Fieldy either...

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1453134819' post='2956710']
I feel much the same way about the Paul Grey/Slipknot sig Ibanez ATK. Always fancied an ATK but the lefties don't
come up too often. I've seen a few of the Paul Grey ones crop up but no way could I live with the inlays.
[/quote]

Just googled. Man, that's some hideous inlays going down.

I've seen quite a few of those K5's (but the natural colour ones) being used out in the wild so they must be ok basses.

Surprised by the Slipknot ATK; I'm sure he was always using a Warwick Thumb when I've seen them, must have moved over at some point - I do quite like the look of those ATKs but maybe not his sig model.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1453201782' post='2957279']
I've seen quite a few of those K5's (but the natural colour ones) being used out in the wild so they must be ok basses.
[/quote]

I think so - Ibanez don't really do bad basses at any price point. From what I've read, they don't sound like Fieldy unless you roll all the mids out... which I wouldn't do anyway. Trouble is, even if I did like it, or even find one to try, there's still the issue of that inlay. It's a complete deal breaker.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1453221432' post='2957575']
I think so - Ibanez don't really do bad basses at any price point. From what I've read, they don't sound like Fieldy unless you roll all the mids out... which I wouldn't do anyway. Trouble is, even if I did like it, or even find one to try, there's still the issue of that inlay. It's a complete deal breaker.
[/quote]
I used to have a K5, it was my second bass, when the neck was damaged falling off a stand I bought another one with the insurance money.

They were the older natural finish ones, before they added the chambers; looking back they very well made instruments, I wasn't wild about the 12th fret inlay, but lived with it. I'd happily have another one so long as I could budget in an electronics upgrade as neither the stock pickups or pre-amp were spectacular, but it would make a great starting point for a project instrument.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1453222310' post='2957585']
I used to have a K5, it was my second bass, when the neck was damaged falling off a stand I bought another one with the insurance money.

They were the older natural finish ones, before they added the chambers; looking back they very well made instruments, I wasn't wild about the 12th fret inlay, but lived with it. I'd happily have another one so long as I could budget in an electronics upgrade as neither the stock pickups or pre-amp were spectacular, but it would make a great starting point for a project instrument.
[/quote]

Indeed - its actually really hard to buy a really poor bass nowadays. I'm just wondering though, what made you buy a K5 in the first place? Was it something about the bass... or was it Fieldy?

If i where marketing a product, i would look at endorsements less as "people will buy whatever [bob] has" and more along the lines of exposure (i know i know, its a dirty word, but hear me out).
Giving a bass/combo/pedal to a well known musician to use increases the amount of people who see the product, for allot less and more effective way than any advert will.Id much rather give a guy a [thing] and tell him to use it at his next gig/recording than get him to stand there and read off a load of lines about how much he likes it.

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1453378247' post='2958868']
If i where marketing a product, i would look at endorsements less as "people will buy whatever [bob] has" and more along the lines of exposure (i know i know, its a dirty word, but hear me out).
Giving a bass/combo/pedal to a well known musician to use increases the amount of people who see the product, for allot less and more effective way than any advert will.Id much rather give a guy a [thing] and tell him to use it at his next gig/recording than get him to stand there and read off a load of lines about how much he likes it.
[/quote]

Isn't that what most companies do?

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1453377078' post='2958846']
Indeed - its actually really hard to buy a really poor bass nowadays. I'm just wondering though, what made you buy a K5 in the first place? Was it something about the bass... or was it Fieldy?
[/quote]

Another student of my teacher had one, and my teacher recommended it as a really good five string for the money. What made the [i]other [/i]student buy one I can't say.

I wasn't that fussed on Korn back then (and even less so now), I don't think I bought an album until after I bought the bass. So it wasn't Fieldy himself that made me go for it; though I imagine there was some "if it's good enough for Fieldy...." on top of the recommendation.

I meant that asking "is [x] big enough to sell [y]?" is less about if people want to buy [y] because they saw [y] with it, more about how many potential customers wout see [y]. if that makes sense?

Basically, its about the customers seeing the product because of the endorsing artist, not people associating the product with them.

• 2 years later...