Why become a member? ×

Which endorsed players are big enough to sell (large quantities of) equipment...?

EBS_freak

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1452730098' post='2953032']
I think you're totally missing the point of artist endorsements here.

There are a minority of people who may buy something because they just love that individual player but it's really not that many people.

However, lots of people will buy stuff because they are used by people they know and respect.

Seeing something that's used by top gigging players week in week out is a huge sign of appreciation to many people. They understand and/or believe the players use the gear because it doesn't break and it sounds good.

The small minority of bassists that spend time here on BC analysing stuff to death may well not 'get' endorsements but they really don't represent that many 'real world' players.

I'd estimate that at least 75% of the people who walk through the door at the shop have either never heard of BC or have a vague knowledge that it exists but never actually visit.

However, ask them about top 'name' players and they are far more interested and engaged.
[/quote]

I don't think I'm missing the point - we agree on the fact that it's the collection of endorsers rather than an individual player that provides any marketing clout for a brand. You smack the nail on the head where you say - "There are a minority of people who may buy something because they just love that individual player but it's really not that many people." - with MK being the only player that I can think of that has the power as an individual to shift a brand. Thats the point I was making at the start of the thread.

[quote]
There's also a huge misconception about the supposedly free or super-cheap prices endorsees get on equipment. I've personally 'brokered' several deals for some very high profile bassists and the discounts aren't that great, often the same price a shop would get and some even pay more than basic trade prices.
[/quote]

I know - there are very few players with endorsements that are actually given gear. As you'll know doubt know, It's either on loan, supplied at an artist discount rate - which as you state, can be pretty poor, or if you are at the very, very top... free gear, although this latter category is more like, wherever you are in the world, we'll make sure there's one of our rigs available for you to use, hence taking away a lot of hassle or playing through unknown rigs etc. Again, the size of the company also has a massive influence on whether you are likely to get bigger discount or freebies. (Think Fender vs some backstreet cottage industry business - although to be fair, it can be a lot harder to get endorsements of any note with the larger companies).

It also depends upon the product, you are more likely to get free strings/pedals than free anything else, although in reality, for the majority of artists, it's an artist rate on string, which typically range between 35%-75% of rrp... or if you are in a big enough band and starting a tour, you may get a box of strings through to see you through that tour.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1452767762' post='2953186']
The BBNE2 is a fantastic bass - you should go for it. I deeply miss mine. The only thing on it is the BB EAST inscription on the 12th fret... unlike other signatures which have a cheesy signature on the headstock.
[/quote]
Yeah, I may keep an eye out for one in Japan where they're reasonably priced and get it shipped over to China once I have some spare cash. Until now, the Spector has been doing a pretty good job of filling that gap.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1452769181' post='2953205']
Yeah, I may keep an eye out for one in Japan where they're reasonably priced and get it shipped over to China once I have some spare cash. Until now, the Spector has been doing a pretty good job of filling that gap.
[/quote]

Import from Canada is where it's at.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1452768837' post='2953201']
I did buy some Aguilar pickups based on Dave Swift's use of them though.
[/quote]

Ooh - interesting.

Tell us more about this? You bought them unheard based on DS' use of them? Or was it hearing him on recordings? Or on TV?

Re payment for gear. I read an interview with Mark at Ashdown and he said that u2, Foo fighters etc, pay for their gear. Did they pay the full price, does Guy Pratt pay full whack for his gear when he pops up in their adverts?

When I bought a MAG 300 combo in 2005, I got it because it was a good price and had a decent amount of power. 10 years later, i`m still using Ashdown gear. Gotta be worth an endorsment by now :rolleyes:

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1452769954' post='2953218']
Question following CW Youtube viewing - Is CamdenRob wanting a Vanderklay or a Zon yet?
[/quote]

:lol: ...I've only got as far as making a note to watch the youtube video, so no GAS as yet.

I intended to check him out when I got home last night but I ended up eating curry and drinking beer instead :blink: I'll have another attempt tonight ... Although maybe I shouldn't watch it, the last thing I need is more stuff to GAS for :blink:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1452606543' post='2951525']
I'd say you liking the bass trumps the signature on it.
[/quote]

I agree.

I bought [1] a Richie Sambora Stratocaster back in the 90s *despite* the signature. I just liked the guitar. It was a difficult time for someone wanting a Floyd Rose equipped guitar without going into the whole Ibanez/Jackson/etc shred/pointy territory. I just wanted a Stratocaster with a reliable vibrato [2] system.

[1] ok, it was a birthday present from my girlfriend

[2] I hate calling it trem/tremolo... it modulates pitch not volume!

I still have that guitar.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1452769451' post='2953208']
Ooh - interesting.

Tell us more about this? You bought them unheard based on DS' use of them? Or was it hearing him on recordings? Or on TV?
[/quote]

i was looking at new pickups for my Cort. In the game was Seymour Duncan, Nordstrand, and Aguilar (also most expensive). SDs wouldn't fit without messing with routing, so down to Nordies or Aguilar. Aguilar were in stock at the retailer, plus I knew DS had given good feedback on them - so went for this. So in fairness, his endorsing of them influenced, but did not make the entire decision. I think I would have likely come to the same outcome without his usage of them, but with more deliberation.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1452607139' post='2951540']
I have never been influenced to purchase any bass because somebody else uses one.

I really don't understand that mentality.

Who is influenced to buy a bass because so and so uses one?
[/quote]

well, although I haven't bought a guitar/bass with that clear thought... I'm sure I got into certain models of guitar/bass from listening to certain players, and I was attracted to that kind of sound... so my buying a model X may have been influenced by them. Not necessarily to replicate their sound, but because they made a sound I liked, if you see what I mean.

I'm sure this happens a lot.

What is funny is that then artists 'sell' instruments that they're not really playing...
For example Flea must have sold a TON of Stingrays, even if a lot of his output used other basses like Wal, Spector... and Jimmy Page, his Telecaster playing on the first albums sold a lot of Les Pauls too, I am sure :lol:

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1452770841' post='2953235']does Guy Pratt pay full whack for his gear when he pops up in their adverts?
[/quote]

Who knows, but he is more likely to pay for his gear and get paid for appearing in the advertising campaign.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1452770508' post='2953230']
Dave Swift doesn't like Lull basses.
[/quote]

What is it that is not to like? They are remakes of standard basses, most of which, in one format or another are in his arsenal...?

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1452628790' post='2951876']
Geddy Lee must surely have been responsible for the sale of [b]very [/b]large quantities of his signature model world wide.
[/quote]
I suspect that an awful lot of people who've bought the Geddy Jazz did so because of the spec of the bass rather than the name association.
It was certainly the case for me with my Sire V7 -- I bought it on the basis of its spec, the sounds I'd heard, the reviews it was getting and its seemingly brilliant VFM rather than the name on the headstock.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1452772543' post='2953266']
What is it that is not to like? They are remakes of standard basses, most of which, in one format or another are in his arsenal...?
[/quote]

I played a couple of PT4s and a PJ4 at Bass Direct a couple of years ago; whilst being very well made instruments and having superb tone, the necks were quite narrow, so that may be an influence.

Not read the whole thread, so probabbly already said: Although a 'signature' wouldn't make me want to buy a model for that reason it does mean that there is a wider variation of models out there to choose from. I had never heard of Stu Hamm untill I waws researching medium/short scale basses, but ended up with a Fender Stu Hamm Urge (Mk1) anyway. Not because of the name, but because of the combination of features it offered, in particular it being a top quality 32", 24 fret. Would Fender have made this without some sort of endorsement? Who knows?

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1452783549' post='2953480']
Not read the whole thread, so probabbly already said: Although a 'signature' wouldn't make me want to buy a model for that reason it does mean that there is a wider variation of models out there to choose from. I had never heard of Stu Hamm untill I waws researching medium/short scale basses, but ended up with a Fender Stu Hamm Urge (Mk1) anyway. Not because of the name, but because of the combination of features it offered, in particular it being a top quality 32", 24 fret. Would Fender have made this without some sort of endorsement? Who knows?
[/quote]

Would you prefer it if the name of your instruments wasn't named after Stuart Hamm?

But you are probably right, Fender probably would not have made this instrument if it wasn't for Stuart Hamm... but I'd be with you - my interest in these basses has been down to their specifications rather than the name attached to it.

In fact, one of the reasons I haven't bought a Kingbass is because I don't want to be in that pool where people assume I play a certain way because of the bass that I use...

Funnily enough, I was reading through the Fodera artists page earlier...

...and was staggered to find I hardly knew any of the names.

And so I clicked through/googled some of the names and where there were active websites, found that quite a few of these artists weren't pictured with Foderas. (not so much the first page but the others...

I think Fodera is like a mystical coveted item... you know, you've made it into a certain private members club if you have one... and nobody is really committed to saying how good they really are... or aren't. I certainly wasn't impressed with the sanding marks I found on the couple I played at the Epifani stand in Frankfurt.

Edited by EBS_freak