Why become a member? ×

Which endorsed players are big enough to sell (large quantities of) equipment...?

EBS_freak

Stemmed from the Scott Devine post, its got me thinking...

Who, as a player, is big enough to influence a great number of people to buy the equipment that they are using.

The only one I can really think of at the moment, is Mark King and Status. It doesn't really matter what the bass is, if it's a Status and MK uses it, you can guarantee theres a queue of people waiting to buy... many times without even touching the bass in question.

Do other players really have the might to sell equipment like this? Dave Swift for example - loads of endorsements... but does anybody actually buy this stuff because Dave Swift uses it? How many extra units has Aguilar shifted because of his using of their gear. What about MXR? (Does DS actually require the effects pedals that he has to do the Jools gig?). Dunlop strings? And what about the streams of custom built basses that he's had over the years? Have any luthiers actually sold basses because he uses them?

Has Dingwall sold more because of Lee Sklar using their gear? I suspect not...?

And then we have the signature gear... do people really buy the signature stuff because somebody uses it... or do they buy it because a certain player uses it? I loved my BBNE2... but I think I would have preferred it without the (Nathan) EAST inlay... Nathan is a great player but had nothing to do with me buying that bass. What about Marcus' jazz? Do people buy that because of Marcus... or because it offers something that other jazz basses don't and the Marcus link is of no consequence?

Just thought - I guess Macca has been responsible for the sale of a lot of Hofners...

C'mon, who are the players that could encourage sales of gear due to them using it?

Edited by EBS_freak

I don't really care what anyone else plays, they mostly endorse stuff for the money anyway... Makes me laugh when players have several signature basses from different manufacturers.

Do your own thing, choose the gear you think sounds best, don't buy gear to sound like someone else :) ... (unless you're playing in a tribute band obviously :mellow: )

Edited by CamdenRob

Well I've got huge GAS for an Ibanez MC924 since seeing and hearing D. Swift play one. But as it's out of production that's probably of limited value to Ibanez... McCartney and Hofner was the association that came to mind instantly. But by his own admission Macca only got his because he was a tight-ass and could use the Hof left or right handed - he didn't want to go to the expense of buying a leftie - and indeed didn't own one until Rickenbacker gifted him one in 1965. Though personally I wouldn't buy a bass purely because a bass player I rated used one, particularly if it was a known 'signature' endorsement.

Edited by discreet

I would say Dingwall would have developed a fair amount more interest since Nolly (Periphery) started using them. I have his signature bass but not because of his signature... just because it's a fantastic bass. In all honesty I actually prefer it to the Afterburner 1 I had a while back.

I think there are people who will go out and buy gear just because X has used it, although I think this is more common with guitarists.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1452607139' post='2951540']
I have never been influenced to purchase any bass because somebody else uses one.

I really don't understand that mentality.

Who is influenced to buy a bass because so and so uses one?
[/quote]

Too many.,.. and amps and cabs, IMO.

Not sure if any of the following qualify as large quantities. Just some endorsements that sprung to mind.

The Sire Marcus Miller basses surely owe a lot of their popularity to his endorsement? The basses stand upon their own merits I'm sure, buy it was the endorsement that helped bring them to our attention in the first place.

Flea's name must have sold a fair few basses in the relatively short period they were available.

The Pino signature bass would be just another quality but overpriced P-bass, but with his name on somehow some of the man's integrity seems to rub off on it. (definitely not large quantities, but relative to the price of the bass possibly)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1452606599' post='2951528']
I don't really care what anyone else plays, they mostly endorse stuff for the money anyway... Makes me laugh when players have several signature basses from different manufacturers.

Do your own thing, choose the gear you think sounds best, don't buy gear to sound like someone else :) ... (unless you're playing in a tribute band obviously :mellow: )
[/quote]

Having said that, I wanted to buy a new mesa subway rig after I saw this on youtube... :unsure:

[media]http://youtu.be/Q_2fqm73wGE[/media]

Yes - the Sire is probably a good example.

The Flea bass is another good example... and I would actually wager he was responsible for selling a few Stingrays and Modulus in his time too.

As for the Pino example, I guess we can add the Jaco fretless in that bag too.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1452607403' post='2951545']
Having said that, I wanted to buy a new mesa subway rig after I saw this on youtube... :unsure:

[media]http://youtu.be/Q_2fqm73wGE[/media]
[/quote]

But was that because of Bobby Vega?

If another unknown bass player had played exactly the same lines and sounded exactly the same... or it didn't disclose it was BV playing or his his identity, would you still be interested?

What I'm trying to say, is your interest in this product influenced anyway because of Bobby Vega?

Good call on amps...

Again, MK has probably been responsible for selling enough TE, Ashdown and TC in his time...

Did Flea do anything for Acoustic when he flirted with them briefly. Is he responsible for increased sales for GK?

Does (did) Macca shift any Mesa 400s due to his using of them? If so, I'm guessing it would be insignificant compared to the bass sales that he's generated for Hofner...?

I'd say in the case of signature basses it can even have the opposite effect. For years I wanted a Yamaha Attitude Ltd but always felt that if I turned up at a gig with one, people would be expecting masses of two handed tapping through a stereo rig at 500mph! Having said that, I'm at the age now where I don't really care about that, which is probably why I can't stop looking at Torvic's sea foam green ltd in the ads section!

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1452607593' post='2951549']
But was that because of Bobby Vega?

If another unknown bass player had played exactly the same lines and sounded exactly the same... or it didn't disclose it was BV playing or his his identity, would you still be interested?

What I'm trying to say, is your interest in this product influenced anyway because of Bobby Vega?
[/quote]

I had no idea who he was until I saw the video... So no but, I was definitely influenced by the sound the rig made when he was playing thorough it. Of course it wouldn't sound half as good with my picking technique though :blink:

Just another thought - the power of endorsements...

I guess it's not all about the individual themselves being able to shift gear - but the suggestion that a brand is good when a punter opens a catalogue and sees a load of pro players in there... Generates the "well, it must be good if all these guys are using it" thought pattern...

So if this is the case, why would Aguilar push a full page spread of DS in a magazine as opposed to a full page spread of a few handfuls worth of "name" players ...?

Judging by Fenders current range there must be some sort of significant commercial mileage in signature models.

Although who actually buys them is a bit of a mystery as most people I've come across seem to be in the 'I don't want people to think I'm a wannabe suchandsuch' camp.

Having said that I would love a Dee Dee precision or the latest Adam Clayton jazz, but that's because I find both models particularly aesthetically pleasing.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1452608002' post='2951557']
I had no idea who he was until I saw the video... So no but, I was definitely influenced by the sound the rig made when he was playing thorough it. Of course it wouldn't sound half as good with my picking technique though :blink:
[/quote]

Ha! So you could argue that his (presumably) endorser status is meaningless. Get any tasty player that could play in the same style would have hooked you.

So... isn't great demos on Youtube (or at trade shows) more important than who is using them?

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1452608129' post='2951559']
Judging by Fenders current range there must be some sort of significant commercial mileage in signature models.

Although who actually buys them is a bit of a mystery as most people I've come accross seem to be in the 'I don't want people to think I'm a wannabe suchandsuch' camp.

Having said that I would love a Dee Dee precision or the latest Adam Clayton jazz, but that's because I find both models particularly aesthetically pleasing.
[/quote]

From what I understand, there's a lot of collectors of signature models... guys that can't really play but like to have a collection of guitars that are as "played by their heroes".

Remember having an argument with an investor of these instruments once that a generic 60s strat would be a better investment than a modern day custom shop model.

I can't see the sort of returns on vintage models being realised on signature models...

But I guess not all collectors go for that.

As for the Dee Dee and Clayton basses - would you prefer them without the signature on them though? - from what I understand, the artist association with these instruments is of no interest to you?

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1452608227' post='2951561']
So... isn't great demos on Youtube (or at trade shows) more important than who is using them?
[/quote]

To me yes definitely :)

... although on the subject of Mr Vega I've never heard anyone sound that good with a pick before, so the demo video inspired me to check out some more of his stuff. So in a way it was Mesa that put me on to him not the other way round :blink:

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1452607945' post='2951554']
I'd say in the case of signature basses it can even have the opposite effect. For years I wanted a Yamaha Attitude Ltd but always felt that if I turned up at a gig with one, people would be expecting masses of two handed tapping through a stereo rig at 500mph! Having said that, I'm at the age now where I don't really care about that, which is probably why I can't stop looking at Torvic's sea foam green ltd in the ads section!
[/quote]

I had a similar conversation with somebody about swirled Ibanez guitars. If you got one of those out at the local pub, you better make damn sure you can sweep, pick and tap to hell to avoid any cringe...

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1452608448' post='2951565']
To me yes definitely :)

... although on the subject of Mr Vega I've never heard anyone sound that good with a pick before, so the demo video inspired me to check out some more of his stuff. So in a way it was Mesa that put me on to him not the other way round :blink:
[/quote]

If you like his stuff, you may enjoy Cody Wright... emerging pick player.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1452608373' post='2951564']

As for the Dee Dee and Clayton basses - would you prefer them without the signature on them though? - from what I understand, the artist association with these instruments is of no interest to you?
[/quote]

It's definitely just the colour combinations with those respective body shapes. I don't even know if those particular models have any other whistles & bells which differentiate them from the non signature precisions & jazzes in Fenders catalogue.

If Fender did non signature precissions & jazzes in those colours I'd probably go for those rather than the signature model.

Edited by Cato