Why become a member? ×

Searching for an "Angry" bass

keefbaker

Hi everyone.

I've tried a number of basses and I'm looking for something that has a really gutsy, angry sound. Not necessarily toppy, but gutsy (For example, I use tapewounds on my P but beat the crap out of them with a pick and it gets me close)

I suppose the closest ones I've found have been my 80s P I use and a friends Gibson Thunderbird.

So I'm wondering if people can help me out a bit. Any suggestions?

Because sound is so subjective its hard to comprehend what another person considers to be an "[i]angry[/i]" sounding instrument.

My own assessment of "[i]angry[/i]" would necessitate the kind of "grit" that a Sansamp DI or similar type of pedal would add as opposed to the actual instrument...although I would think theat a P bass is a good starting point.

I personally use the Hartke bass attack for this type of thing when required...it makes my basses angry anyway...

Yeah, I use a bass attack too. Great pedal. I guess I was wondering if there was anything else that has the kind of grumpy sound you get from a P or a Thunderbird, but maybe turned up to 11.

So not a soft P sound but a "I just punched you in the guts and made your balls cry blood" P sound.

I'm not sure. I mean the start of ace of spades is a great example, and I know that's a ricky but it's not quite.

I guess a simpler question is what's the roughest sounding P these days? Fender or no. And is that rougher than a thunderbird? I suppose I'm just really close to getting a thunderbird but would rather not go Gibson and I don't like the shape much.

That would have been easier if I'd just said that wouldn't it. :drinks: :crazy: