Why become a member? ×

Searching for an "Angry" bass

keefbaker

Just about any bass that does not have an overwound pickup at the neck position, but does have a moderately wound pickup in the mid position, will growl with a set of Rotosound Swing Bass strings and a good setup, including an amp with a enough pre-gain that it can get to the edge of clipping for some natural compression and sustain.

Edited by iiipopes

Just thought I'd chip in about the Attitude bass here. I have the Mk2 and I finally got round to raising the woofer pickup about 4mm with dense foam - best thing I ever did. I used to turn that output up a little more if I used both channels separately but it's not the same as what I'm getting off it now. I'd say hand on heart it's now the ballsiest bass by far :)

I have a Stingray HH and a Yamaha 2024. Both are growly/snarly - but the Yamaha has the edge. It has a darker tone overall and usually sits better in the mix. There's never any problems EQing the Yamaha - whereas the Stingray is a constant fight between boom and clank. Of course that might just be me!