Why become a member? ×

Not the most enthusiastic audience I've played to.

leschirons

I really don't mind doing a free-bee gig if it's worthy, helps someone out and the audience is "UP" for it.

However, a few tips for you all.

1) Be prepared. Find out who you're playing to.

2) Be aware that there are people out there who deem John Denver's "Take me home country road" to be far too "rock & roll" :lol:

3) Be very careful if you decide to revamp an Edith Piaf number with a little "Bossa" feel. It would appear to be the equivalent of burning the national flag.

This was the largest collection of wheelchairs and zimmer frames I'd ever seen. Still, the ones that could clap did, bless 'em and one old chap even shouted "Bravo" at every opportunity despite facing in the wrong direction with his back to us.

Edited by leschirons

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1451517060' post='2941252']
Well done for doing something to brighten up the lives of people that probably don't get much excitement :)
[/quote]

+1 fantastic that you've made the effort to offer some entertainment - well played sir! :)

To be honest, it does bring a smile to my face when you give folk something else to think about other than just "what am I doing here, in this wheelchair?"

We threw in loads of old French standards and of course, they all knew the words. A worthwhile exercise and despite my joking, I'd do it again.

Happy new year everyone.

When I was a kid my school's orchestra did a show at a church hall for an old peoples' chicken & chips and dance thing. I was roped into playing bass with a mate on drums and a couple of girls playing the piano and singing as a little extra "entertainment"... I think we learned three songs for it. One of which was The Locomotion, I can't remember the others. They went nuts! They absolutely loved it and wanted us to carry on. So we ended up playing all three songs again.

I remember doing a Christmas disco for a boarding school for handicapped kids. They were all quite subdued to start with, but then a group of them approached me, because I had long hair, to ask if I would ask the DJ to play some heavy metal. Turned out that they were all metal heads! And they proper went for it! Everybody danced, wheelchairs and crutches be damned. They were absolutely the best people we ever did a disco for.
They told me that, in the past, none of the discos they'd had would play anything rocky, but they got their hopes up when they saw my hair. Everyone was so grateful that you could feel it.

Good on you. I do these all the time singing solo with my acoustic. Believe me they may not show it but they are so grateful for musicians going in to do this sort of thing.
I remember doing one a few years ago and the nurses wheeled out a man in his twenties in his bed and he watched me from the back of the room with his head propped up by pillows. He cried all the way through my singing and isn't wasn't until afterwards I found out he used to be a singer but had a motorbike accident which had left him paralysed. Really upset me but still makes me count my blessings

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1451640851' post='2941930']
Good on you, well done!

I trust you played "La Mer"?

..and just remember people, we may be there in them chairs one day and I hope someone comes in and plays Cream and Hendrix and Beatles and Stones and Muddy Waters songs for me. :D
[/quote]

Yes we did, and it's my "Waterloo" :unsure: a chord change every two beats (I count in 8s) and the singer sometimes forgets where to pitch the two key changes so I have to be careful it doesn't end up as our "comedy" number :lol: