Why become a member? ×

Design flaws in your favourite basses

EliasMooseblaster

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1451728172' post='2942742']

I’m not sure what you are trying to say, here. If you are saying that you have a photo that makes it look like the strings on your SR5 are no closer to the edge of your fretboard than my Sandberg, then I’ve no reason to doubt you.
[/quote]

This.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1451682973' post='2942509']
Kramer the Duke... Great tone, but oh dear.

- Temperature-sensitive neck. It's aluminium; it changes length with temperature. So it goes out of tune, quickly.

- The bridge... it's a BBOT with the strings run through it at an angle. That means that if you put roundwounds on it, the E-string can't be tuned correctly, because the winding of the string catches on the edge of the bridge.
[/quote]

Kramer DMZ4001 - no issues with tuning on mine, even when faced with dramatic temperature changes when the industrial heater switched on and off.

The bridge - I think I had the same problem, the windings went over the saddle on the E string. Fixed by removing bridge and making the string 'hole' deeper in the body. Small spacer nut slid onto string moved the ball end further back and the windings now end behind saddle.

Short top horn, aluminium neck, maple body - weight and neck dive.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1451686015' post='2942548']
I would get a little triangular wedge made to fit in that gap and give you a thumb rest that's perpendicular to the strings!
[/quote]

It's a plan at some point if I ever find it too much of an issue. It only really bothers me when I'm playing mostly on the B string for long periods of time -which doesn't really happen that often in my band-.

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1451704573' post='2942664']
Or just buy a Cruztools truss rod driver, and you won't ever have to take the neck off again (unless you need photos of the stamps, etc)!
[/quote]

This is only with the cheater driver which cannot access the full width of the slot and risks breaking off part of the nut. I'd not use one of these on a vintage instrument.

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1451704573' post='2942664']
My personal bugbear is Spector bridges - no screws to adjust, wobbling around on two legs...Really difficult to set up. I've had two (euro and Kramer-era US) and loved the sound, but this was a major contributer to me selling them!
[/quote]

This is a funny one, but it is a very solid bridge paired with a stable neck. I'd choose sound over fiddle any day, but then again my Spector has intonation screws.
Another thing about Spector bridges is that earlier ones were held down with 3 screws. The following is a link from TB from a chap whose screws broke after about 20 odd years. PJ at Spector sent him new screws, but he ended up using screws from his local DIY store, which you guessed it subsequently snapped.

If you nowt else to do it makes an entertaining read :)

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/i-cant-believe-this-happend-again.1179251/

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1451732737' post='2942822']
The bridge - I think I had the same problem, the windings went over the saddle on the E string. Fixed by removing bridge and making the string 'hole' deeper in the body. Small spacer nut slid onto string moved the ball end further back and the windings now end behind saddle.
[/quote]

Not the same problem, if I read you right. It wasn't the silks that were the problem; the actual round wire which the string is made of was the problem, because of the angle the E string makes where it goes through the bridge.

The G string alignment over the polepiece on a Stingray. 99% of the many I've seen (and owned) have all had this quirk. Not that I'm suggesting it affects the sound in any way (another can of worms). Neither that it's the only mass production bass with this problem, Jazz basses are known to suffer (Indeed mine does) but for some reason its more noticeable on Rays and I can never stop looking at it when I see one! :)

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1451747309' post='2943042']
Not the same problem, if I read you right. It wasn't the silks that were the problem; the actual round wire which the string is made of was the problem, because of the angle the E string makes where it goes through the bridge.
[/quote]

You read me right, a different problem (similar to the Gibson 3 point bridge silks/windings over saddle problem). Agree with you on great tone, my bass has great clarity and 'just plays itself'.

[quote name='chrisanthony1211' timestamp='1451728112' post='2942740']
I really dislike intonation adjustments which require you to loosen the string, then loosen a grub screw and move the saddle by hand, it's always fiddly and takes forever, I much prefer just being able to turn a little screw and tune.
[/quote]

Perhaps I'm playing the wrong basses, but I've only ever encountered bridges which require you to at least loosen the string to move the saddle. Are there some which get around this problem (or do you just have much better control with a screwdriver than I do)?

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1452265789' post='2948270']
I love Jazz Basses, except for one thing that absolutely drives me up the wall (and has already been mentioned)...
[i]TWENTY[/i] FRETS? WHY?? What the hell is the point of a range of E to E [i]flat..[/i]?
[/quote]
Indeed. Same with Precisions. My first ever bass was a Precision, and even back then I found this totally baffling. Still do!

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1451503398' post='2941075']
Having to take the neck off to adjust the truss rod is pretty annoying. That was a 70s P, thankfully it never really needed adjusting.
[/quote]

I had the same problem with my Dano '64, it was infuriating when the inevitable neck adjustments came. I didn't have the confidence to do it myself at the time!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1451508021' post='2941145']
For me with the Precision I still don`t understand why the pickup is nearer the bridge under the thinner strings - it would make so much more sense to me to have this the other way round, as per the Mark Hoppus Sig model, getting a bassier response from them.
[/quote]

My Rocco Prestia Precision has this, but somehow it still seems odd to me , I'm so used to my thumb resting on a std P pick up

I have no issues or things I'd like to change on any of my favourite basses.

My Lull PJ5 has no flaws and, apart from the fact that it isn't a 3 tone sunburst finish, neither has my Lakland 55-94D.

Precision basses were designed that way because in 1957 players played differently and the amps they used produced an entirely different sound. Most bass amps at that time produced mid frequencies rather than bass, so bass players needed all the help they could get.

Then after years of phenomenal success why would you want to change anything on the best selling and most acclaimed bass instrument on the planet?

Fender didn't remove the headstock strap button or tug bar for decades and they were pretty much redundant after about 1952!

No idea.

Really, I don't know.

I rarely get to the 12th and I've never played the top note on any bass. I'm no paragon of bass playing but if 20 frets is a flaw it didn't seem to limit the three guys I mentioned earlier.

Why 20 frets? Must have been a number that Fender thought would never be reached by any sane bass player. My guess is that, listening to early records and looking at the maple fret boards of the early basses most bass lines were played well below the 7th fret.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1452265789' post='2948270']
I love Jazz Basses, except for one thing that absolutely drives me up the wall (and has already been mentioned)...
[i]TWENTY[/i] FRETS? WHY?? What the hell is the point of a range of E to E [i]flat..[/i]?
[/quote]

Not sure - but Nate Watts found it useful for Sir Duke - top note on unison riff is Eb!!

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1451508070' post='2941146']
I always wondered why most bass manufacturers don't use bolts to secure the neck to the body or at least threaded inserts for the screws to screw into?

And why not use bolts and threaded inserts for string trees too? Once it's come out once or twice then the screw hole is worn and you need to fill it. Pain in the arse!
[/quote] you want to buy an Alpher bass then - they don't use screws at all!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1452383617' post='2949566']
If Jamerson, Jaco and Larry Graham could change modern music within a 20 fret limit then I'm not sure what problem were talking about!
[/quote]

Different styles and music has progressed so much since then.

As far as the whole 20 vs 24 frets thing though. I only buy basses with 24 or more. not necessarily because I use the notes but more because to my eyes they look better and feel nicer to play.

Anything with a non-adjustable nut. Warwick are streets ahead in getting this right, especially on their first brass nut which had individual saddles.
I used to think an adjustable nut was just 'more to go wrong' - but changing out strings from flatwound to roundwound, as well as changing playing styles, means that an adjustable nut is a life saver (you have to be a setup fuss pot like me though to worry about this stuff).

Another thing that gets me is the dreaded F****r shim requirement, as well as ski ramp issues.

Oh yeah, the last few frets being not hammered in properly - this is ridiculously commonplace, and very annoying.