Why become a member? ×

Best era for vintage Fender Ps?

Sumbabba

Careful on that cool and classic site. It's littered with Limelights, and they're awesome!!!

Best advice I could give is, play as many as you can, any one of them could be 'your' one but not mine. Don't get bogged down in what year era brand price. It's all sonically irrelevant.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1449667455' post='2925748']
I tell you what, give the Roadworns a try as well..
[/quote]

Have to agree here - I've got one of the sunburst Roadworn Precisions, and it is a fantastic bass. Only change I made was to put an SPB-3 in it. Nothing wrong with the standard pickup, I just like the duncans.

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1449666289' post='2925729']
Careful on that cool and classic site. It's littered with Limelights, and they're awesome!!!
[/quote]

Wow just went on the Classic and Cool website - he's got some nice stuff there! Shame it's in Devon - I reckon I could spend a good few hours there!....

[/quote]

Good call, some of the nicest playing basses I`ve played - why don`t I have one, wrong colour schemes. I really should just get one anyway as they are awesome players,

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1449671179' post='2925817']
Good call, some of the nicest playing basses I`ve played - why don`t I have one, wrong colour schemes. I really should just get one anyway as they are awesome players,
[/quote]

Yes you should :)
Big chunky necks with a fat sound that resonates forever and fairly light weight and comfortable also something you don't mind if it gets knocked about.
It's my current number 1.

Depends on what works for you really.
My 71 r/wood P is a smidge heavy and the bridge is in the wrong place, as many were ...so already some may say its a "dog"...but it's got the chunkiest stiffest neck I've ever played... never ever moves and the sound with 10 yr old flats on whilst not overly "boingish" is very heavy and smooth...
I absolutely love it but many probably wouldn't.

Edited by ians

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1449671179' post='2925817']

[/quote]

I tried one out at a local shop and have to say it felt lovely to play and did sound great but for me it just looked artificial, so it didn't get taken home.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1449658353' post='2925579']
They all sound the same. Vintage Fenders are no better than modern Fenders. It's a myth and, in fact, according to Basschats very own tests, the Mark Hoppus J/P Signature is the best Precision around.

Invest the money on a good rig. That'll get you on your way to the sound in your head more than a vintage instrument ever will. Play a £2k instrument through a £50 amp and it'll sound just as rubbish as an EBay beginner bass does.

Best of luck!
[/quote]

I agree, a P pretty much sounds like a P. The differences I've heard between vintage and non vintage are negligible. Although the late 70's ones seem to sound a bit more ballsy, it's as basic a design as it gets really. Go down the amp route to get that vintagey sound.

Edited by 40hz

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1449658353' post='2925579']
They all sound the same. Vintage Fenders are no better than modern Fenders. It's a myth and, in fact, according to Basschats very own tests, the Mark Hoppus J/P Signature is the best Precision around.

Invest the money on a good rig. That'll get you on your way to the sound in your head more than a vintage instrument ever will. Play a £2k instrument through a £50 amp and it'll sound just as rubbish as an EBay beginner bass does.

Best of luck!
[/quote]
[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1449682850' post='2925963']
I agree, a P pretty much sounds like a P. The differences I've heard between vintage and non vintage are negligible. Although the late 70's ones seem to sound a bit more ballsy, it's as basic a design as it gets really. Go down the amp route to get that vintagey sound.
[/quote]

For some reason I'd like to agree re all Precisions sounding the same, but it's simply not true. A good Precision is a very different thing sonically to a crap one, and I've owned both. I do however agree on spending money on a rig; if you've got £2000 to spend, £500 on a good Precision - MIJ Fender, Yamaha, Lakland, frankly even an upgraded Squier (i.e., upgrade PUPs, circuit and tuners), and £1500 on a cracking rig (Ampeg, Aggie, Boogie) will get you better tone overall than £1500 on a Precision and £500 on the rig.

But you will need a decent Precision, or your £1500 rig will also sound crap. And Precisions don't all sound the same :)

I've owned a lot, and currently use a 63', which is nice. If you want that Headhunters sound though (and I did at the time) I used an early 90s Stingray with the most beautifully figured maple neck run through a solid state Acoustic head with a touch of reverb and brand new Rotosounds.

It cost me £500 and was just exceptional in every way. Now I want simple, thumping 60s bass as I'm moving away from the busy 16th note style to simple, old fashioned groove playing.

It's also not true that they sound the same, and certainly not true that they play the same. My P-bass may have cost about the same price as my new bathroom will but it's the best playing P I've ever had. If I was gigging on weekly basis though, I'd do Musicman.

[/quote]

Another vote for Fender roadworn basses here.
Although I've not tried a roadworn P, I have a roadworn Jazz, and that's my fave bass I've ever played
That includes 2x US Jazzes as well! I've heard many players rave equally about the roadworn P
They're made in Mexico, but are made to a higher standard than Mex basses. Finished in the US too, I believe

As someone else has said, you could try a Limelight P too. Mark will make one to your own spec
I've tried 2 Limelight P's and they've both been fantastic basses - really convincing sound, feel & appearance
and at a fraction of the cost of a real vintage Fender

Let us know how you get on :)

[quote name='Jebo1' timestamp='1449724085' post='2926277']

It's also not true that they sound the same, and certainly not true that they play the same. My P-bass may have cost about the same price as my new bathroom will but it's the best playing P I've ever had. If I was gigging on weekly basis though, I'd do Musicman.
[/quote]i can't help thinking that ones opinion of any bass is coloured by knowing its value - you tend to prefer the more expensive one - maybe at some future bass bash, a true "blind test" could be arranged where testers are given various p basses covering all eras from 1957 onwards and all price levels?

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1449769528' post='2926713']
I don't think any of us would have any doubts as to the result of such a test. In reality, we consume with our eyes too and would naturally be drawn to the more expensive version if offred a choice.
[/quote] blind, as in blind-folded

I have to agree with other posts, buy something you like rather than something by age, I have a beautiful 79 in Olly White with maple board, it looks fantastic, it's not heavy in fact it is probably the dream late 70's Precision......except it sound weak compared to my nearly new Roadworn, it doesn't play as well as the Roadworn and despite not being heavy it is still heavier that the Roadworn........gigs with Precision's this year about 40 gigs with the 79 Precision = None

Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with my "vintage" bass it's just the new one is better in every way

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1449770029' post='2926716']
blind, as in blind-folded
[/quote]

Obviously, but I'm assuming that you will be removing the blindfold at some point before getting in your car and driving home. I am agreeing that no-one would guess the era from the sound alone but, even then, people would tend to buy the more desirable variant. No-one actually tries a bass to buy it while blindfolded.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1449773684' post='2926751']

Obviously, but I'm assuming that you will be removing the blindfold at some point before getting in your car and driving home. I am agreeing that no-one would guess the era from the sound alone but, even then, people would tend to buy the more desirable variant. No-one actually tries a bass to buy it while blindfolded.
[/quote]i am not talking about selling basses, I am talking about getting people's opinions on what is the "best" precision they try out without seeing is out of a sample of members précisions that cover the whole gamit of era and price

My own opinion is that it will show the myth that is mojo

Yes someone needs to do the blind test and clear this up once and for all! Hopefully that'll bring the price of vintage P-basses down and then I'll be able to afford to buy one :)Except I'll then be buying an inferior bass :unsure: I have to say I'm not keen on the look of those Roadworns, I think there's something a bit naff about artificially reliced basses. I'm after a rosewood fretboard anyway, I just don't get on with maple ones. Maybe I'll look at some of the RIs, what are people's opinions on those? Let me guess... they vary in quality right?