Why become a member? ×

Jaco... Is he really all that?

AinsleyWalker

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1449570764' post='2924664']
Just wondering whether those that only capture 'aimless noodling' or 'parpy fretless sliding about' think of stuff like this ..?

[media]http://youtu.be/38QwLRYK8X0[/media]

Nothing there, either..? To me, although obviously different instruments, generation and all, the musicality shines through Just wondering...
[/quote]

That was great. I always like a bit of Schubert.

I liked it much more than I like Pastorius.

I've always preferred Pastorius playing with someone else - such as Joni Mitchell.

But liking something or someone (or not liking them) has little or nothing to do with their talent or their influence and clearly Pastorius was a massive presence and a major influence on many people; even sometimes when they didn't know it.

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1449610055' post='2925260']
The youtube comments on Jaco clips read like this thread.

Right old racket imo, Ray Brown could have farted a more melodic tune than Portrait of Tracy!
[/quote]

Youtube comments? I must have missed the bit where nazi, hitler, gays and paedophiles were mentioned.

Nothing like another JP thread to get the playground rumble going

He wasn't a god, but he was a damn good bass player. Yes sometimes he could seem to be aimlessly noodling - some folk need to get over that

He doesnt float my canoe apart from the work on Hejira, which was stunning.

Personal taste again, just like everything in life. The standout player of the fretless for me was Percy Jones, and he goes way back to Soft Machine

And no, not everyone likes Jones either. But no need to regress and throw a rattle

Edited by fleabag