Why become a member? ×

Role of the bass player in a one-guitar band?

thebrig

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1449066712' post='2920517']
Hold your nerve.

The band [i]will[/i] sound different and maybe even "wrong", but if you work through the acclimatisation period it will sound better in the end.

Don't panic and try to plug the holes or make it sound like the old band. It isn't that band any more.

Good luck.
[/quote]Your right, it's so obvious, and yet, I never even thought of that. :blink:
It IS a new band, new sound, new line-up, new way of thinking, even some new songs, I'm so looking forward to tonight's rehearsal. :D

The only time I play in a set up with more than one guitar player is a local jam night... And I hate it. A one guitar band opens up space, gives clarity, improves you as a player (as there is no place to hide.) It develops creativity in having to always be 'interesting,' and develops a sense of being more important in a band, instead of being pushed to the back. It removes a lot of that low end clash you get from a guitar and yourself sharing the same tiny bit of space in smaller venues. You actually hear your instrument, and individual notes instead of being involved in a ear drum bustin competition. Financially, you are better off as its only a three way split, so what's not to like about only 3 of you...

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1449067543' post='2920526']
Most bands I've seen with two guitarists would sound much better with one. I much prefer it myself. I enjoy the spaces and dynamics,
Don't get me wrong. Some two guitar bands really nail it. But you don't really need two people with a similar guitar sound chugging away at A & D.
[/quote]
Very true, to my ears early Iron Maiden was one of the few band to get a true balance between two lead guitars and bass. Then they went and spoiled it with three guitars!

I think it's also worth mentioning that the opposite applies when playing in a larger band. I have, in the past, played in a 13 piece band with full brass section and the discipline there is to play little but make it all count. I now plyin a 3 piece+ vocals band and have to be busier and have more range of sounds available for various songs.

I always start off playing as the original and only look to change if it sounds pants. Sometimes for some parts of songs in a 1 guitar band I feel there's too much space and use an octave pedal to fill the sound out a bit. Sometimes I will play extra notes.

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1449143731' post='2921020']

Very true, to my ears early Iron Maiden was one of the few band to get a true balance between two lead guitars and bass. Then they went and spoiled it with three guitars!
[/quote]

Four words... Thin Ash Wishbone Lizzy. Not necessarily in that order. ;-)

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1449005340' post='2920071']
Listen to everything Jack Bruce ever did.

[/quote]

Erm - he was an uber-widdler to no great effect in Cream. Johnny Spence with The Pirates is likely a better place to start. Full fat, enough gaps and very much underpinning his guitar player.
There are a bunch of other UK-style r'nb bass players from back in the day who really understood playing in a trio.
Sometimes the holes you leave groove far better than a flurry up the dusty end.

Jack Bruce [i]was[/i] an uber-widdler, and to absolutely great effect in Cream.

He was the defining musician in that band. Without him, his playing, singing and songs they'd have just been yet another blues band.

Having said that, Jack Bruce is the wrong person to base being a bass player on. His playing situations were unique and mostly he was in his own band, probably because he didn't work too well being told what to do in someone else's band.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1449226221' post='2921673']
Jack Bruce [i]was[/i] an uber-widdler, and to absolutely great effect in Cream.

He was the defining musician in that band. Without him, his playing, singing and songs they'd have just been yet another blues band.

[/quote]

Bloody jazzers ...

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1449067543' post='2920526']
Most bands I've seen with two guitarists would sound much better with one. I much prefer it myself. I enjoy the spaces and dynamics,
Don't get me wrong. Some two guitar bands really nail it. But you don't really need two people with a similar guitar sound chugging away at A & D.
[/quote]

And that's the point a lot of 2 guitar bands miss. The good 2 guitar bands build a sound where the 2 complement each other, harmonise etc. If you listen to classic Thin Lizzy, Wishbone Ash and even Quo the 2 guitars are often playing different things. As you say, 2 guys chugging away on the same thing in the same time quickly turns to mush.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1449242337' post='2921913']
And that's the point a lot of 2 guitar bands miss. The good 2 guitar bands build a sound where the 2 complement each other, harmonise etc. If you listen to classic Thin Lizzy, Wishbone Ash and even Quo the 2 guitars are often playing different things. As you say, 2 guys chugging away on the same thing in the same time quickly turns to mush.
[/quote]
Pretty much what I was going to say, especially re Wishbone Ash.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1449242337' post='2921913']

[/quote]

I know that BC doesn't have a "Like" button but I'm pressing my imaginary one right now!

We lost or keyboard so became guitar/bass and drums n vocal, but reworked it as a four. Never had feedback again was one plus, Guitarist had to adapt to rhythm and lead, and I had to play more legato than the staccato style i had adopted previously to be heard to cut through his left hand stuff. I now listen and learn tracks differently to identify what i need to cover and what the guitar will cover. sometimes this will need discussion if the track has multiple instruments you have to judge what are the most prominent hook or signature instruments and leave the others out. e.g. the guitarist may have to play a prominent sax part and not the guitar rhythm part and you may have to play the keyboard part but also cover some of the guitar whilst he does the brass.
But for me there is no going back.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1449054732' post='2920339']
+1 Most people play too much anyway. Mainly to hide the fact that they're rubbish. In my opinion. ;) Listen to Free playing live for a lesson in restraint and space. They seem to have no means of support and sometimes it only [i]just [/i]hangs together, but it's brilliant.

[media]http://youtu.be/JJ6ClSZV5Eg[/media]
[/quote] Bloody Fantastic ! The epitome of ' feel' :i-m_so_happy:

I've been playing in a one guitar originals metal band for a bit now and for me what works best is;

1: spend time with the guitarist tweaking your tone so they work well together (ie scoop where he pushes and push where he scoops eq wise) - its good having your own tone but compromise and work together will make everything sound a lot better
2: different distortions. I run a rusty box normally but when the guitar solo comes up I switch on the hm2 to give a fatter more rhythm guitar sound
3: bass chords and an octave pedal can be your best friend
4: don't always over play. Sometimes simples needed
5: harmonise. When simple isn't needed use it as a chance to kick ass! Harmonise a complicated run or during simple rhythm add a good run or two

Hope this helps