Why become a member? ×

Role of the bass player in a one-guitar band?

thebrig

You don't need to change your sound so use your current tone and turn up a little.

You don't need to play any more notes. You're not compensating for anything.

The band won't sound as "full" but that will be a good thing.

Be solid, enjoy the spaces and embrace being clearly heard.

The beauty of being in a 'one guitar band' is playing busier where it sounds good but then locking back in for the groove/power. I've been in one guitar bands and loved the freedom to play a bit busier but then again I've been busy as hell in a two guitar and keys band where everything was locked into a big 'chords' section all strummy and dreamy...... but there was space for the bass to 'lead' the melody/changes.

Ultimately you just gotta play and have fun and know where to step out and when to lock in. Listening...... I think thats what the old guys called it :)

Put your foot on the monitor, play open strings whilst pumping your fist in the air!

On a more serious note, enjoy the freedom, that's what I found when I worked in the one guitar format, get melodic when required, busy if needed, groove and keep that bottom end pumping under the solo or middle eights, and not forgetting that leaving space can be just as important as filling it, (listening does tend to cover this as our learned friend posted earlier).

Have a good gig man.

Over the years I've mostly played in trios and all you need to do is get a good sound and play your bass lines.

In one of my bands the guitarist can stop playing altogether when he's singing. We just carry on as bass and drums until he comes back in. Nothing is "missing" when that happens.

Don't think you have to "fill in" and/or compensate for a "missing" instrument. It's just a different sound and feel, uncluttered and dynamic, I love it. Learn about "light and shade".

The bass and drums is a layer and the guitar and voice are other layers. As long as you keep your layer "together" it doesn't matter what the others are doing or even if they are there or not.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1449001903' post='2920023']
Enjoy the breathing space and the fact you can have a fuller bass sound that doesn't clash with a rhythm player.
[/quote]
[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1449017622' post='2920198']
The band won't sound as "full" but that will be a good thing.
[/quote]
[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1449054662' post='2920338']
As long as you keep your layer "together" it doesn't matter what the others are doing or even if they are there or not.
[/quote]

+1 Most people play too much anyway. Mainly to hide the fact that they're rubbish. In my opinion. ;) Listen to Free playing live for a lesson in restraint and space. They seem to have no means of support and sometimes it only [i]just [/i]hangs together, but it's brilliant.

[media]http://youtu.be/JJ6ClSZV5Eg[/media]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1449054662' post='2920338']
Over the years I've mostly played in trios and all you need to do is get a good sound and play your bass lines.

In one of my bands the guitarist can stop playing altogether when he's singing. We just carry on as bass and drums until he comes back in. Nothing is "missing" when that happens.

Don't think you have to "fill in" and/or compensate for a "missing" instrument. It's just a different sound and feel, uncluttered and dynamic, I love it. Learn about "light and shade".

The bass and drums is a layer and the guitar and voice are other layers. As long as you keep your layer "together" it doesn't matter what the others are doing or even if they are there or not.
[/quote]

Lots of realy good advice all across this thread. I would definitely fall into the camp of "don't look to find a magic solution/magic pedal to solve the problem". Rather just find where your playing/sound might need to alter slightly to make the song sound good in an organic way. Let it happen through listening to how the songs sound in rehearsal and in the gig in the new format. Chances are you will make subconscious changes to the way you play in response to the music/band format anyway.

So the "solution" might vary from song to song and different songs might suit different solutions. Some of these could be a simple as small changes to how you phrase or mute the notes within the bass line. Perhaps with two guitars blasting away you clipped and muted notes on one bass line - in a one guitar format it might fill out the sound to let those notes ring. Of vice versa - play more sparsely or in a more clipped style to add additional dynamics and create a contrast when you come back in playing more. Or it could be that that heavy rock tune is crying out for some OD in your sound, or maybe swap to playing that tune with a pick instead of fingers. Or on that big power ballad play the verse anchoring your thumb over the other pickup or at the end of the neck. Or maybe it could benefit from some chorus on the chorus to enhance the texture. Or... Or... Or... none/all of the above.

Or maybe, as Chris said, a certain song doesn't need any changes to the way you play to enhance it. There won't be a single silver bullet.

However have fun stretching how you play in the new format. And don't be too hidebound by the "I must play precisely what's on the record" philosophy either. Let's face it, if you're playing, say, "Freebird" in a one guitar band you're never going to sound exactly like the record - unless the guitar player can work out how to play three guitars simultaneously and you can double on piano! Of course, the playing must retain the essential melodic, rhythmic and harmonic elements of the song to make it recognisable. If you're playing Thin Lizzy's "Dancing In The Moonlight" and you're not playing [i][b]those notes[/b][/i] it will sound wrong. But throw in some additional triplet beats or ghost notes here and there (or whatever) and it might make all the difference in the new format. But most of all, have fun with it!

[edited for a copmlete unablity to tpye porpelry]

Edited by TrevorR

The reason we have become a one-guitar band is because we finally came to the end of our tether with the main lead player, unfortunately, he was your typical prima-donna guitarist who admittedly, was technically a brilliant guitarist who could probably pass any audition on the day, but he was far from being a team player.
Unless he was playing a solo ([i]which he normally extended x3 at least[/i]), then he would just go through the motions with anything else, his rhythm playing was just a simple up and down strum and always way too loud which just muddied our sound, the rest of us would try to tell him about light & shade etc.. but all to no avail I'm afraid.
He would ignore all emails and texts regarding band stuff, refused to help in getting gigs, and any gigs that were offered us, we often lost due to him taking too long to confirm his availability, to sum up, [b]he was totally uncooperative in every aspect[/b].

The final straw came a few days ago when he sent us an email stating that [u]we[/u] will have to bear with him if he turns up to rehearsals unprepared and having not learnt any songs, and not to expect him to help getting gigs as he has other thing to do that are more important.
He also said that he had left his blues band and wanted to stay with us because we are more active on the circuit, although we do suspect that he was probably shown the door for the same reasons that we decided to get rid.

We told him that his attitude was not what we wanted in the band, and believe it or not, because he was so far up his own backside, he was shocked and disappointed when we said we have decided to move on without him.

Anyway, judging by all your comments and great advice, it would seem that just by getting shot of him, it will help us achieve a better sound, and allow us to apply all the things required to make us a tighter band.

First rehearsal tonight with the new format and I'm really looking forward to it. :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1449059034' post='2920382']
Becoming the only lead instrument is a big change. I hope the "second" guitarist can step up enough to "front" the band.

Good Luck. It sounds like you made the right decision anyway.
[/quote]He is definitely good enough imo, on occasions when we have rehearsed without the main guitarist, he has really excelled, and he has taken on some of the lead/solo work when playing live, which has drawn great compliments on his playing, the other plus is that he is a really good rhythm guitarist who can really feel the song.

Guest bassman7755

Just going to add my voice to the "no need to do anything different" crowd, at least to start with. Once you've found your feet in the new format you can think about some the fine tuning stuff others have mentioned like playing a bit more legato behind solos or whatever. Only other thing I would mention is that it does up the ante a bit in terms of solidly knowing the song arrangements as you have one less person to provide those subconscious cues as to what happening next in the song (see colgraffs post).

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1449058103' post='2920371']

The final straw came a few days ago when he sent us an email stating that [u]we[/u] will have to bear with him if he turns up to rehearsals unprepared and having not learnt any songs, and not to expect him to help getting gigs as he has other thing to do that are more important.

[/quote]

I don't understand your attitude at all. I mean, he actually took the trouble to sit down and write you an email telling you all this, and instead of thanking him for his generosity and his mature approach you act as if he's being unreasonable.

Shame on you!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1449059991' post='2920398']
He is definitely good enough imo, on occasions when we have rehearsed without the main guitarist, he has really excelled, and he has taken on some of the lead/solo work when playing live, which has drawn great compliments on his playing, the other plus is that he is a really good rhythm guitarist who can really feel the song.
[/quote]

Sounds promising - a good lead guitarist with a sense of modesty, who also plays good rhythm, seems to be a rare and valuable treasure!

In the main band I play with, we can go out as an acoustic-y three piece, an electric three-piece, or a four piece in which the frontman plays keys or guitar or neither, and we do an awful lot of the same songs in each format. It doesn't make much of a difference to what I play or how I sound, tho the band can sound very different.

As long as you know the songs, just do what you do and it'll all fall into place.

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1449062433' post='2920437']
Good luck with the rehearsal tonight.

When is your next gig?
[/quote]9th January 2016, we already have an extensive set list, so we are confident there will more than enough we can do/modify without bringing too many new songs in, although another bonus is that the departed guitarist tended to dislike most suggestions by the rest of us, so now we can perhaps try a few of them. ;)

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1449063134' post='2920453']
Just going to add my voice to the "no need to do anything different" crowd, at least to start with. Once you've found your feet in the new format you can think about some the fine tuning stuff others have mentioned like playing a bit more legato behind solos or whatever. Only other thing I would mention is that it does up the ante a bit in terms of solidly knowing the song arrangements as you have one less person to provide those subconscious cues as to what happening next in the song (see colgraffs post).
[/quote]As you might have guessed by his attitude, he was the biggest culprit when it came to songs arrangements and whats happening next etc..

The more I think about it, and read all the advice and encouragement here, the more I feel confident that we made the right decision in firing him. :)

Hold your nerve.

The band [i]will[/i] sound different and maybe even "wrong", but if you work through the acclimatisation period it will sound better in the end.

Don't panic and try to plug the holes or make it sound like the old band. It isn't that band any more.

Good luck.

As others have mentioned, it is now your responsibility to keep track of where you are in the song. The drummer keeps the beat (probably with a bit of dragging/driving on your part) and you keep the phrasing.

Tbh I'd forgotten about that. I've done it so long it's second nature. That moment when the other two look at you for the raised eyebrows indicating the key change, and your ability to count 6 bars of a held chord (that's a nod towards the end of the last bar), etc. :D

Edited by Norris

I've made sure I haven't played in a two guitar band for years - it's not a lot of fun. As has already been said, very few guitarists know how to shape their tone and style to make use of having two guitars.

The only problem I encounter is the guitarist worrying - sometimes an awful lot - about how 'empty' the sound is when they solo. I've spent countless hours convincing them that it doesn't sound empty, that a rhythm guitar underneath the solo adds little to nothing, and that the cost to the sound of having two guitars chugging away all night is just too great. I don't add my worries about having two guitar egos in the band, not out loud anyway.

Previous commenters are totally right - the sound of the band fills all the space, you don't need to compensate drastically for anything. And audiences don't want to be swamped in noise anyway - they want light, shade, nuance, dynamics and a touch of wit and grace. That's much easier with one guitar than two.

You'll have a ball, good luck.

I've almost always been in a one-guitar band, sometimes just as a trio, and sometimes with an added piano player.

I gotta say I love that format - it gives me lots of room to play a bit more freely, rather than just plunking away root notes at the back. I do tend to do things to try to emphasise quiet and loud (i.e. quieter in the verses, and flooring it for the choruses or big climaxes) for some dynamics.

As long as you can strike the right balance between providing some full, interesting bass when need, and easing off to something very basic and restrained when needed, then its a very liberating format to play in, I find.