Why become a member? ×

P bass alternatives

JamesBass

Nothing. Bwa-ha-ha-ha-hahhh haaaahhhhh!!! :D

Seriously though, Lakland make a very good P Bass... as does Mike Lull... Sandberg... G&L... Peterbuilt... Limelight... Maruszcyk seem to be getting love on here, but I've not seen or tried one yet.

Or did you mean a bass that has a split pickup and sounds like a P that is not necessarily P-Bass shaped..?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1447354811' post='2907050']
Or did you mean a bass that has a split pickup and sounds like a P that is not necessarily P-Bass shaped..?
[/quote]

Pretty much everything I own falls into this category...

Lakland, Limelight, Sandberg, Maruszcyk, Lull, not read a bad thing about their Precision style basses. I had a Lakland Skyline which is their cheaper end range and it was very good, so can only think how good the higher ranges are. Similarly with the Yamaha BB range, I had an 1100s, very good bass.

But for me, well a Precision is a Fender. Accept no imitations.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1447356109' post='2907064']
...a Precision is a Fender. Accept no imitations.
[/quote]
[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1447356509' post='2907067']
May I ask why you're looking for an alternative to a P bass? - the right one is unbridled joy.
[/quote]

All true, all true... :D

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1447356109' post='2907064']
Lakland, Limelight, Sandberg, Maruszcyk, Lull, not read a bad thing about their Precision style basses. I had a Lakland Skyline which is their cheaper end range and it was very good, so can only think how good the higher ranges are. Similarly with the Yamaha BB range, I had an 1100s, very good bass.

But for me, well a Precision is a Fender. Accept no imitations.
[/quote]

I've had a Sandberg for a few week now, i'd say its a P-bass with options.

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1447356509' post='2907067']
May I ask why you're looking for an alternative to a P bass? - the right one is unbridled joy.

But the sound can be approximated by other instruments.
[/quote]
Just curious, I've got a MIM P and was thinking of adding another P to the stable, one for rounds, one for flats kinda thing. So was curious to know what else is out there and what people are rating these days, I know Fender are rather hit and miss at times, I've had experience of that myself, played a 63 RI P and it was a pig, pick up sounded too bright to me, the neck was just uncomfortable, mainly due to the finish on it, and the set up was beyond terrible.

My MIM P is my favourite bass I currently own though.

My MIM P bass is excellent, Arctic white with a hyperactive very loud pickup with fantastic tone.

Soo I thought I'd go to a local guitar shop (Steven James in Middlesbrough) and try a couple more and buy a backup. To start with he didn't have any :rolleyes: so he said I'll get a couple in and ring you when they get here, should be a week or so. That was 8 months ago so I'm not holding my breath.......

No wonder so many music shops are going to the wall with service like that. :(
Still looking for another MIM in Red/Maple to compliment my white one...

I've had a few, old and new, the only P bass I have now is a mid 90's American standard which I bought new - its totally stock and I could tell you where and when every ding happened. I go through phases of flats or round wound strings etc.. its played everything from cock rock to jazz that was so far up its own rectum we needed surgery to end a number and its the one I'd save from a fire.

I also have an Xotic XP 5 string which is superb - we played live recently and the sound man had a total hard on for it.

Possibly Shuker - lots of options and clever construction features (e.g., J J Burnel)?

I'm using one currently - a custom order (not mine) with a Sadowsky style (perfectly modelled) 1.45" nut J neck and JJB body recipe. Build quality is superb. It's active too (so many options with Shuker!) - great for me as I'm a massive fan of the P body shape but not the stock P tone, though I realise that this isn't a popular position! In defence, I do actually like the tone of some mid to late '70s Fender Ps (more aggression, growl and focus to my ears).

Possibly slid off-topic a bit here but Shuker may be worth consideration (and sometimes they can be found at very reasonable prices in the used market).

Edited by three

Yup, my Shuker does a very very good P impression without looking in the least P-like. Jon's actual P copies are even closer, and his build quality is exemplary.

Risking a good lynching here...I like the sound but not the look of the Fender P... :o

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1447672194' post='2909339']
Risking a good lynching here...I like the sound but not the look of the Fender P... :o
[/quote]

There'll be no lynching today, because believe it or not it's OK to have a negative opinion about P basses.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1447364957' post='2907174']
Just curious, I've got a MIM P and was thinking of adding another P to the stable, one for rounds, one for flats kinda thing. So was curious to know what else is out there and what people are rating these days, I know Fender are rather hit and miss at times, I've had experience of that myself, played a 63 RI P and it was a pig, pick up sounded too bright to me, the neck was just uncomfortable, mainly due to the finish on it, and the set up was beyond terrible.

My MIM P is my favourite bass I currently own though.
[/quote]

Schecter Model T, perhaps? New one would set you back about £6-700, so a little more than a MIM Fender. There's a perfectly serviceable J pickup in the bridge position as well as the obligatory split-coil; both are Seymour Duncans. The neck profile is more akin to a Jazz than a Precision - don't know whether that would put you off - but I'm certainly very fond of mine!

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1447678818' post='2909419']
Schecter Model T, perhaps? New one would set you back about £6-700, so a little more than a MIM Fender. There's a perfectly serviceable J pickup in the bridge position as well as the obligatory split-coil; both are Seymour Duncans. The neck profile is more akin to a Jazz than a Precision - don't know whether that would put you off - but I'm certainly very fond of mine!
[/quote]
Looking for a straight up P, and the J width(Or close to) is a huge put off to me, much prefer the feel of a P neck :)

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1447690985' post='2909525']
The Mark Hoppus Jazz is the best Precision that Fender make I think!
[/quote]

And soundwise at the Herts Bass Bash Precision Blind-Test two years ago won hands down against some very tasty competition (70s, 60s and 50s Fender Precisions amongst them).

• 3 weeks later...

How would a warwick streamer stage 1 4 string line up in P bass land ?

I like Warwicks

I ( having finally caught up with everyone now ) appreciate a nice Precision

It has a split coil at the neck

Any P owners have a Streamer to compare to?

Edited by Dazed