Why become a member? ×

How many tuners do you own?

colgraff

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1446737751' post='2901903']
... Boss TU12 (bought in 1983 and still going strong) ...
[/quote]

I have a TU12 bought second hand in 1990 (£6) ... and still going strong. Before 1990 I was using either a tuning fork or a harmonica.

Plus ...

Boss TU2
Mooer Baby
Meisel clip

Takamine B10 has built in tuner.
TC BG250 has built in..

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1446751438' post='2902115']
[b]Guess I'm the only one that thinks those clip on tuners just look wrong![/b]
Tuner built in to my FX board, tuner app on my phone, and same app on my tablet.
[/quote]
No you're not, think they look hideous.

I seem to have four but I know that at least 2 of them were left behind by other people at open mic sessions when I was in the house band and they never came to pick them up,not even sure what manufacturer they are but they work. I have my Behringer tuner pedal for live gigs but because it's Behringer of course it will spontaneously fall apart if I actually look at it hence there is a cheap Korg backup in my bass guitar case. I don't take the Behringer to rehearsals and just do a quick tune up with the hand held Korg from the case.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1446751438' post='2902115']
Guess I'm the only one that thinks those clip on tuners just look wrong!
[/quote]

I only use a clip on at home, never in public, they look hideous.

(all my gear is packed away under the stairs at home, so a clip on is just for ease, and android phone tuners are abysmal in my experience)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1446802855' post='2902418']
It doesn't matter how good your ears are. I defy anyone to be able to tune their bass and also ensure that they are in tune with the rest of the band while the PA is blasting out the in-between bands music. That's what electronic tuners are for.
[/quote]

Beat me to it. Nothing worse than 2 guitars and a bass all trying to audibly tune up on stage anyway, whether by ear or not. Trust your tuner and do it in silence. If you are unsure a really short note from each string to check it's in tune after you've done it. Endless 'bending note' noises from the stage prior to the performance just looks a bit amateurish to me.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1446804156' post='2902433']
Beat me to it. Nothing worse than 2 guitars and a bass all trying to audibly tune up on stage anyway, whether by ear or not. Trust your tuner and do it in silence. If you are unsure a really short note from each string to check it's in tune after you've done it. Endless 'bending note' noises from the stage prior to the performance just looks a bit amateurish to me.
[/quote]

Off course you do have to trust your tuner and hope that it hasn't been moved from the reference point your band use (generally A=440). A previous Terrortone guitarist managed to accidentally alter theirs about a quarter-tone flat and played a whole gig that way. The sound on stage was terrible which meant the out-of-tuneness between the guitar and bass was only audible in a few locations and so I'd put it down to some freak of the acoustics. Our drummer who could hear the problem perfectly from is position on stage kept shouting at us to check our tuning, which we dutifully did, both being perfectly in tune with ourselves but horribly out of tune with each other. It wasn't until the next rehearsal that we discovered exactly what the problem had been.

However the audience didn't appear to notice anything wrong and we picked up a really good gig review from that night!

Edited by BigRedX

I've only done that once and thankfully it was in rehearsal. I'd only recently got my Behringer tuner and for some reason I'd managed to switch it from normal tuning to flat. I needed a song in drop D but because the tuner was now in flat tuning I inadvertently tuned my E to C# instead of D but of course the other 3 were fine so it confused me for a few minutes. I haven't even checked if current band's tuners all use same reference but I'm guessing they must do as I have a reasonable ear and we all sound in tune together at the lower volumes of rehearsal rooms so i think we're fine.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1446804727' post='2902436']
Off course you do have to trust your tuner and hope that it hasn't been moved from the reference point your band use (generally A=440). A previous Terrortone guitarist managed to accidentally alter theirs about a quarter-tone flat and played a whole gig that way. The sound on stage was terrible which meant the out-of-tuneness between the guitar and bass was only audible in a few locations and so I'd put it down to some freak of the acoustics. Our drummer who could hear the problem perfectly from is position on stage kept shouting at us to check our tuning, which we dutifully did, both being perfectly in tune with ourselves but horribly out of tune with each other. It wasn't until the next rehearsal that we discovered exactly what the problem had been.

However the audience didn't appear to notice anything wrong and we picked up a really good gig review from that night!
[/quote]

I had a similar experience but fortunately only at a rehearsal.

Using a clipon tuner on the bridge of my upright bass I had inadvertently tuned two semitones flat. Embarrassingly, and for a moment, I was accusing everyone else of being being in the wrong key. I did apologise.

I only have one in my signal chain at a time but have quite a few around

Zoom B3
Zoom G3
Zoom MS-60B
Korg AX3000B
Korg AX1500G
Two or three Tanglewood tuners (I like these but they're obsolete now)
Three or four cheapo tuners so I can stick one in every case
One clip-on, good for use with the Variax guitar but an epic fail on the headless Sei

If it's just tuners, then I have 4, 3 Korg (a DT-10, a Pitchclip and a small plug-in one), and a TC PolyClip.

If you're including Amp Modellers as well, then there's a few more to take into consideration... A Guitar PODxt, a B3 & an MS60B.

Ooops. :D