Why become a member? ×

going to 4 string after years of 5ers

jassbass

I went back to playing 4s after using 5 & 6 string for years , I find personally my playing is more dynamic on 4string as I have to go looking for notes ( if that makes sense )as when I played 6 string I could get lazy and stay in one position for entire songs , great for reading gigs when I used to do them , still miss a fiver from time to time ..

I bought a decent five string this year after two failed attempts on cheaper instuments.

I originally intended it in my covers band for ease of transposing, but our current vocalist has a 7.5 octave range and she can sing anything we throw at her in the original key. I can switch between four and five strings here no problem.

In my originals band however, I now use the extended range pretty often. I play octaves quite a lot, and the fifth string really helps. A few basslines go down to low D, and I also like being able to approach the lower fourth string notes from below.

I took my four string P bass along to a rehearsal after playing the fiver for a few months, and I was frankly all over the place! In hindsight, I'd probably have got on much better with a BEAD tuned four string. Perhaps this could be an option?

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1445793539' post='2894234']
Going back to a 4 would make no sense to me whatsoever...
[/quote]

Me neither.

My cover band plays a lot of numbers which use notes below E. I play the B string on nearly every number in the blues and Americana band. The original bands I've been in have all used the low notes.

I know experiences and preferences differ, but I haven't been in a band in the last 20 years where playing a 5 string bass wasn't a huge advantage to me.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1446045467' post='2896472']
Me neither.

My cover band plays a lot of numbers which use notes below E. I play the B string on nearly every number in the blues and Americana band. The original bands I've been in have all used the low notes.

I know experiences and preferences differ, but I haven't been in a band in the last 20 years where playing a 5 string bass wasn't a huge advantage to me.
[/quote]

Yes, playing similar stuff, I find I use the low b string a lot - especially the d when playing in either d or g. To me, d on a 4 string is far too close to guitar territory.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1445694387' post='2893492']
I think you should play what suits you at the time.

[/quote]

This is what I do. In my last band I only needed a 4 string with a D tuner. In the current band I need a 5 string for certain songs that require a low C or B or where there are runs from the low D that would sound messy on a dropped 4 string. If those songs were dropped from the set then I'd get another 4 string. I'm not going to use a bass with more strings that I need.

I play a sixer, pretty much always have done. I need the low b for most of the tunes in our set, but I only use the high C twice in the set as part of a chord. I do a lot of solo loopy stuff when I'm between bands and I use the full range all the time in that.

I do use a four string fretless though... I like to keep things simple there.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1445770399' post='2893947']
7.5 octave range?!
[/quote]
[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1445784813' post='2894144']
So she says! From my perspective though, she just sings everything in the recorded keys...makes for an easier life all round!
[/quote]

7.5 octaves puts her about 3rd in the world rankings for vocal range :o Guess you can cover anything from Johnny Cash to Minnie Ripperton then :D

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1446411933' post='2899233']

7.5 octaves puts her about 3rd in the world rankings for vocal range :o Guess you can cover anything from Johnny Cash to Minnie Ripperton then :D
[/quote]
I guess she's probably got it wrong! She's an all singing - all dancing type with very versatile voice, but not the most technical. She does Jessie J, Bruno Mars, Debbie Harry, Michael Jackson and all our pop stuff just fine. I'm Leonard Cohen would be a different story.
Anyway.... Tangent!

I'm back playing a four (albeit with a drop d tuner) after buying a Ric. I still play a five string fretless, but I do make the odd mistake when swapping between the two. I either need to practise more of get a four string fretless; best excuse for GAS ever :)