Why become a member? ×

Is this really Sting's bass, as in Sting's own bass?

BassTractor

The yearly national TV fundraising in Norway this year is for the benefit of the preservation of the rain forest.
Sting is going to perform in the tv programme, and he has donated "one of his basses" as they state it for an auction. (Highest bid right now is roughly £2,500.)

Me, I feel there's something fishy going on, and guess it's just some sort of generic, new Fender Precision Sting signature.

Does anyone recognise it?

Here's the auction:
https://www.blomqvist.no/nettauksjon/nettobjekt/%C3%98L//211691/(pathOverride)/search-sting

And this is the bass as shown in the auction.

[URL=http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/basstractor1/media/Stings%20bass%20NRK%20tv-aksjon_zpsbzoceaoz.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r525/basstractor1/Stings%20bass%20NRK%20tv-aksjon_zpsbzoceaoz.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Maybe he'll play it on the TV show....maybe not.

I think you're supposed to enter into the spirit of a charity auction and that it being "one of Sting's basses" is a generous description for the sake of raising some money. He is going to sign it, that adds some value to it.

Edited by ahpook

Thanks for responding, guys.
I guess the auction can't be reached from abroad, or it depends on the browser. The link is faulty (it's truncated), but does work for me in Chrome.
But can you guys see the picture?

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1445185683' post='2889404']
Maybe he'll play it on the TV show....maybe not.

I think you're supposed to enter into the spirit of a charity auction and that it being "one of Sting's basses" is a generous description for the sake of raising some money. He is going to sign it, that adds some value to it.
[/quote]

^^^ this. A couple have surfaced up here as part of charity auctions.

found this blurb on line (did he ever even touch the bass?):
[quote]
"A bass made to Police specifications.
It's a faithful limited edition reproduction of Sting's trusty 1953 Precision Bass with his signature in a block inlay at the 12th fret. Contoured lightweight ash body with single-ply pickguard. Maple neck and fretboard with a 7.25" radius, a vintage 2-saddle bridge, and a vintage single-coil pickup. Enjoy this re-creation of the P Bass from the early days and pay homage to a great player at the same time. Includes Fender gig bag."[/quote]

and this gem, in an interview:
[quote]
SB: What kind of strings do you use?
Sting: The ones that are given to me for free. When you’re rich and famous people want to give you things. It’s a wonderful irony that amuses me. And now I’ve run out of wisdom of charisma. But if you want to know more about my equipment I can make sure you get to speak to my Danny, who handles that.[/quote]

Wasn't the signature Sting Precision produced some time ago as a limited run? Shortly after he started using one (which had the scratchplate to start with). Sting said a while back that he doesn't like new basses. He's changed his tune since Spector, Ibanez and Steinberger amongst others were gifting him stuff.