Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

NNnnnnooooo for YES

bigd1

Seems a little odd that YES have gone for Billy Sherwood for new bass player. I was unaware Billy is a bassist, I thought he is a guitarist, a great guitarist at that.
Bass is not just a guitar with less strings, as we all know plus Chris Squire was a testament to that .
If YES are to carry on, and find a replacement for Chris, they will need a quality bass player.
I hope they don't go down the route of trying to find a player who will try to play "like Squire" as I feel this would be a big mistake.
This could be a new chapter for YES, but I feel they need to choose wisely.

Ta very glad

BIGd massive YES fan since the 70s.

I think Billy is more than up to the job. He's a previous member of Yes of course so he knows the material, and can manage the harmonies too. He was also great friends with the great man so to me he seems like the natural choice.

Have a look at this - Billy on bass with Alan White and Tony Kaye:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8xkonlAu8Y

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1438860253' post='2838098']
I wish more bassists thought of the bass guitar as a guitar with less strings. We'd get better bass lines.
[/quote]

Fewer strings, :D But I'm not sure I entirely agree. Having said that, I was a guitarist way before I was a bass player, so...

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1438865431' post='2838185']
...surely it is another job for Palladino? ;-)
[/quote]

Well he IS the industry's go-to man if you want a totally inappropriate replacement for a well-loved, iconic bass player.. :P

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]And it's not every well-loved, iconic bass player who gets an entire range of basses named after him by Fender [/font][/color] ;) :P :o[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] :P[/font][/color]

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1438869633' post='2838253']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]And it's not every well-loved, iconic bass player who gets an entire range of basses named after him by Fender [/font][/color] ;) :P :o[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] :P[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Hehehe.
Ya know, a Dutch musicians' mag once stated that in all seriousness, and they had even noticed the difference in spelling.

Edited by BassTractor

Totally agree 100%
[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1438870962' post='2838271']
I always think that, in these circumstances, they shoudl look for someone radically different to the original to avoid compaisons.
[/quote]

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1438892260' post='2838534']
Plus he did base his early career on sounding ever-so-slightly exactly the same as Mr. Squire, which might help. ;)
[/quote]

An interesting point in that I remember vividly having conversations around that time in which it was commented upon that they sounded quite different not the least because Squire played with a pick and Lee with his finger. Nevertheless, I get your point.

$64,000 question, though. Could his high voice replace Anderson at the same time!!! :lol:

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1438860947' post='2838110']
I think Billy is more than up to the job. He's a previous member of Yes of course so he knows the material, and can manage the harmonies too. He was also great friends with the great man so to me he seems like the natural choice.

Have a look at this - Billy on bass with Alan White and Tony Kaye:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8xkonlAu8Y[/media]
[/quote] Yes, I really do think Billy's up to the job and he was Chris's choice to dep for him while he was undergoing treatment. He had regular dialogue with Chris in preparation for the tour with Toto. He's already part of the Yes family & a long time friend and supporter of Chris. He understands the music and can probably do a reasonable job on the BVs too. As can be seen in the video clip, he's capable of playing the parts well - OK, he's not Chris, but nothing seemed out of place or made me wince. I think he's an ideal choice if Yes want to continue (which it seems they do). I don't think Yes need someone to go off on a tangent to Chris's parts. I coped with Tony Levin on the ABWH stuff, but I though Jeff Berlin was an uncomfortable square peg in a round hole. Much as I like Geddy Lee, he'd never do it and if he did, I think he'd put too much of his own stamp on the parts (and despite the influence, their styles are different).

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1438936705' post='2838728']
An interesting point in that I remember vividly having conversations around that time in which it was commented upon that they sounded quite different not the least because Squire played with a pick and Lee with his finger. Nevertheless, I get your point.

$64,000 question, though. Could his high voice replace Anderson at the same time!!! :lol:
[/quote]Only if Jon Anderson's taken up yodelling.

I know Billy personally, he is a superb Bass player and plays all of chris Squire's bass lines, he is the perfect replacement as well as knowing the songs inside out he is a master musician. i don't even understand anyone doubting his capabilities.