Why become a member? ×

Finley Quaye -- oh dear

Rich

At a recent gig in a Gloucester venue:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcdA_4FlKuw&sns=tw[/media]

Apparently it had been going on in much the same vein for [i]half an hour[/i] before what happened at 3:04 happened.

More detailed story [url="http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/Finley-Quaye-thrown-stage-Woodchester-amid/story-26886378-detail/story.html"]here[/url].

Judging by reviews and stories from other venues online, it sounds like he might be self-destructing.

Though[i] in principle [/i]I wouldn't want a third party dictating to me if a performance went on or not that did look like a shockingly uprepared 'performance' and it was a brave decision in that the guy running it will have been out of pocket if he followed through with the refunds (sold out apparently)

Edited by KevB

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1436790084' post='2820727']
Now I think of it didn't our own Roland Rock's band U-Jahm support FQ for a gig, last year maybe? wonder if he could give us his experience then, could be FQ's been on the slide for a while or this is a recent thing?
[/quote]

Hi Kev, just spotted this. I didn't want to say too much on a public forum as I don't want Basschat getting sued!
Happy to be more forthcoming over a pint though ;)

The way the guy who stops the show makes a point of mentioning his own substance dependencies makes you wonder if he's trying to send out a message without being too obvious. I don't think that part of the discussion should probably be expanded too much as you point out though.

Edited by KevB

I can't recall anyone being bumped off stage like that even at an open mic session. For supposedly professionals to have it done must be incredibly embarassing. The bass player looks like he'd rather be somewhere else right from the off though.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1436790957' post='2820743']
Watching it is equal parts uncomfortable and dreadfully saddening. Another talent imploding. :(
[/quote][quote name='Number6' timestamp='1436792527' post='2820765']
Unfair to generalise about the whole band who I'm sure will play whatever the leader calls them to.
[/quote]

Yes and yes. Such a waste of a venue, a band, a crowd, a vibe, an evening... :(

He's clearly got issues...

The weirdest thing is he doesn't look embarrassed in the slightest, he seems to be blissfully unaware of the disaster unfolding around him... maybe he just doesn't care.

... hopefully he will sort himself out and go back there, play a free gig and put all this behind him.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1436806948' post='2820973']
Looking at the video in the OP, there must be some sort of awareness that the performance was farcical, because there was no surprised reaction or argument when they were told to quit, he just walked straight off without so much as looking at the guy.
[/quote]

The poor drummer just sitting there looking really uncomfortable before shuffling off. :(

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1436807443' post='2820982']
He's been self-destructing for years. The band look as embarrassed as you'd expect. Poor buggers.
[/quote]

From the beginning, even. I saw him at the Glasgow Barrowlands in his 90's heyday (IIRC I was actually a year or two too young to be in there). He strung out about three songs worth of material for the whole set, got stoned out of his nut and was pretty much carried by his band. Fortunately his band were older guys who'd been around for a few years and were good enough to just about salvage it by keeping a dubby vibe going for him to meander over the top of.

Wow that's really not good enough is it. Especially when people are paying proper ticket prices to see you, though I'd never take to the stage like that regardless of payment.

If he's got problems he really owes it to himself to sort them out first, before expecting people's good will to extend to stuff like this. It'll only piss on his reputation.

Right decision from the venue? Most definitely. Unfortunate mess which sets alarm bells ringing? Sadly, yes.

Hope you get yourself sorted out fella.

Edited by bassbiscuits

I bought a ticket for FQ a few years ago..........he didn't turn up.

I bought another ticket a year later................he didn't turn up.

He was booked for another gig about a year later........I didn't buy a ticket this time.

Thank f*** because............you guessed it...........he didn't turn up.

I saw him do a promo gig for his first album at Ronnie Scotts in Brum. I was working in a local record shop and got a free ticket, not really knowing what to expect. He was on time, coherent and played and sang beautifully. I had a chat with him afterwards and although he seemed a little "relaxed", he was pleasant company.

Time has not been kind.