Why become a member? ×

Graphite vs wooden necks

rubis

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1436551354' post='2819165']

I have and use both, and to me there is no difference in 'feel'. Perhaps you should try a few graphite necks and see what you think :)
[/quote]

The only things that I remember about playing your Status J was that it felt comfortable to play and sounded great.

Guest bassman7755

Given the choice I'd always use graphite necks. They are both more demanding and more rewarding to play since they seem to amplify subtle nuances in your playing. Also every wood necked bass I've ever played has had at least one "dead" note somewhere on the neck I guess where a main overtone in the note hits the resonant frequency of the neck.

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1436547365' post='2819113']
There is no perceptible difference in 'feel' between a graphite or wooden neck, it's all down to finish.
[/quote]

This.
I've had people play my Zons not knowing they had graphite necks & they had absolutely no idea until told them.

I have four basses with Status necks (two J 4 string and two MM 5 string, both couples fretted and fretless), a Moses made Chapman Stick and a Steinberger L-2. Living in Norway, I favor graphite for its stability with temperature changes: going from -25 Celsius snow storm outside to +40 under the stage light can be punishing for a wooden neck, while graphite necks don't move at all.

I also like the sound: very precise, punchy and with a very defined bottom end. I find it cuts through very well both live and in the studio.

You can hear what the fretless MM clone and the Stick sound like here: https://vimeo.com/125635683
The opening and closing track are not me (its fellow stick player Filippo De Laura), but the live track are all graphite :)

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Shedua511' timestamp='1436613321' post='2819505']
I find it cuts through very well both live and in the studio.
[/quote]

I've had several people comment (both audience and band mates) that they can hear every note easily from my status even when its not especially loud in the mix.

Edited by bassman7755

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget too the shape of the sound as Kiwi mentions the attack is more responsive but the sustain and decay seem to go on for ever compared to the average wooden neck too
on a bolt on graphite the sustain is immense but on the full through necks where the bridge is screwed directly into the graphite the sustain is absolutely ridiculous, which can be hindrance for some styles or genres but if your music demands longs sustained bass pedal notes with minimal decay and maximum sustain then a full graphite through neck is definitely the one for you

I have owned two graphite-necked instruments, a Status S-1, which was green and gorgeous and I bought on BC, and a Peavey GV bass. Both were exceptional instruments, the Status perhaps more so, but in the end I parted with them with few regrets.

On stability: yes, the Status wouldn't move. The Peavey, which was Modulus-necked, on the other hand, would move a fair bit. Nothing to be worried about, mind you, but it did, the only reason I can think of being the fact that it featured a beautiful pau ferro fingerboard, which was thick, dense and altogether perfectly capable of moving a graphite neck whenever it felt like it.

Now, the Peavey was a wonderful instrument ([url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otQ046y39RY"]exhibit one[/url]), but wasn't exceptionally graphite-y, if you get what I mean. The Status, on the other hand, sounded less woody, and, in a way, better ([url="http://www.gospel.bo.it/albums/userpics/10192/Martina_%2B_Status_-_MSTR.mp3"]exhibit two[/url]).

I am also going to be an apostate and say something weird: I am a strong believer in the fact that a synthetic fingerboard does a good deal of different. Phenolic stuff or ebonol do make a significant different in sound, very much in the direction of a synthetic neck.

• 1 month later...

Loved my Status neck on my Stingray, got one with a Jazz profile for a pseudo SLO feel... was way more stable than the stock MM neck (in touring conditions similar to what Shedua511 describes) BUT whatever you do, dont knock it at all !!! It chipped with terrifying ease and the one time it had moved, it seemed the truss rod had loosened itself right off so a quick nip up and fine again. It looked awesome and felt great too. The only thing the stock neck had is that it was stock / original and it was a lot tougher (took more abuse) but other than that, Id go graphite every time now !!!

[quote name='biro' timestamp='1437924495' post='2830031']
I have owned two graphite-necked instruments, a Status S-1, which was green and gorgeous and I bought on BC, and a Peavey GV bass. Both were exceptional instruments, the Status perhaps more so, but in the end I parted with them with few regrets.

On stability: yes, the Status wouldn't move. The Peavey, which was Modulus-necked, on the other hand, would move a fair bit. Nothing to be worried about, mind you, but it did, the only reason I can think of being the fact that it featured a beautiful pau ferro fingerboard, which was thick, dense and altogether perfectly capable of moving a graphite neck whenever it felt like it.

Now, the Peavey was a wonderful instrument ([url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otQ046y39RY"]exhibit one[/url]), but wasn't exceptionally graphite-y, if you get what I mean. The Status, on the other hand, sounded less woody, and, in a way, better ([url="http://www.gospel.bo.it/albums/userpics/10192/Martina_%2B_Status_-_MSTR.mp3"]exhibit two[/url]).

I am also going to be an apostate and say something weird: I am a strong believer in the fact that a synthetic fingerboard does a good deal of different. Phenolic stuff or ebonol do make a significant different in sound, very much in the direction of a synthetic neck.
[/quote]

I would totally agree with you. I have a Modulus Q6 with a phenolic fretboard, it sounds totally different to Steve Lawsons which has a a Chechen fretboard, his is a lot mellower sounding.

I can see the advantages of a graphite neck bass over most basses but I'd rather have a good wooden one and if the body and neck are very well made, for me, there'd be no contest.

Wood is much better looking and feels a lot better...IMO...and I prefer the sound.for a tradintional sounding bass... i,e less modern.

If I was going to have a neck made and I'm thinking about it... my £500 would go on a wooden neck.

Mmmmn, I'm getting the picture now!
I was hoping to end up with "something" along the lines of a Modulus , as it will have an obp-1 pre, albeit with a Delano alnico MM style pickup, and hopefully a badass bridge
However, I emailed Status who said their 5 string Stingray necks are 22 fret as opposed to the G&L's 21 frets, meaning that I'd have to lengthen the neck pocket and/or move the bridge back. This would not be such a mare, as the body is to be refinished (sparkly black) anyway, but now I'm thinking is it worth four times the cost of a nice neck blank, to gain a bit of stability when it will spend most of its life indoors. Are the sonic benefits really worth paying the premium for?
I could make a neck from a nicely figured piece of maple with a black veneer accent line between the neck and board and graphite rods which may perform as well and look better
Still undecided

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1436448526' post='2818234']
I've had a few Status basses both with full graphite, and wood with graphite inserts. Fabulous clarity with the full graphite but my preference given the choice is wood with graphite rods. Still great stability but just sound a little less hi-fi.

I'll always regret selling my Roscoe Beck V for that reason. Best bass I never kept :facepalm:
[/quote]

This ^ .. all the way!

My latest Jaydee from 2000!, albeit with a walnut & maple thru-neck, has graphite rods - and never had to adjust it - great tone etc. Still have an '86 Series II JD with a truss rod though (and touch wood - no pun intended) no problems.

Just my humble opinion, but I've never liked the sound of MK's status basses (how much eq does he have on them?). You may as well have a synth playing the lines... oh, um..................

Horses for courses.

Go for graphite Rubis, you won't regret it, I love the sound of my Stingray with its Status Graphite neck on it, and for stability it is amazing, tune it up and I have payed a two hour set many times, and I am a bit of beast, not the most gentle with my Bass and the tuning was still spot on at the end of the gig.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1442519049' post='2867581']
Talk to Jon Shuker. He has maple in stock for necks that is as stiff as graphite and the dimensions can be whatever you want. He can skin the neck in graphite weave too if you want.
[/quote]
+1

I have a status jazz retro bass, the graphite neck feels great. However, it can be a little bit to clinical for me. I seem to have copious amounts of top end even with the treble backed off (its an active bass). This could be different on a passive instrument. The feel of the status neck wins over wood for me, despite that only critique. I will probably resolve my problem with flatwound strings, once I've used my supply of Roundwounds.

I will add, I recently got a fretless bass from Bravewood guitars. this had a epoxy coated rosewood board. I think that with frets might be quite interesting, as the neck is fantastic.

[quote name='Lynottfan' timestamp='1442523128' post='2867612']
Go for graphite Rubis, you won't regret it, I love the sound of my Stingray with its Status Graphite neck on it, and for stability it is amazing, tune it up and I have payed a two hour set many times, and I am a bit of beast, not the most gentle with my Bass and the tuning was still spot on at the end of the gig.
[/quote]

Having said that, my 80's MM was a workhorse and the maple neck NEVER moved. That neck made that such a good bass.
Since I moved to 5's... I don't think I could use that neck profile and if I had a neck made now..I'l probably have graphite
stringers in it..just to be sure..

Ive got a status neck fitted on two of my basses, my precision and my sterling sub (John East pre and Delano pickup). On both basses they sound and feel great. Fantastic clarity and tons of mids and bright biting high end. If I could afford to, if have one on all my basses. Tuning rarely happens on mine, just plug in and play. I used my precision on a tour of Asia last year and even after flights it was still in tune. They're absolutely brilliant.

[URL=http://s1258.photobucket.com/user/jimryan88/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps4ajvtwzg.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii527/jimryan88/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps4ajvtwzg.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[URL=http://s1258.photobucket.com/user/jimryan88/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsbltwbvu7.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii527/jimryan88/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsbltwbvu7.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[URL=http://s1258.photobucket.com/user/jimryan88/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsnpwmfclq.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii527/jimryan88/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsnpwmfclq.jpg[/IMG][/URL]