Why become a member? ×

using a normal guitar jack lead instead of a proper speaker lead between amp and cab

I've been told by most that this is a massive no no (and I've never done it) - but I've also been told it's ok.

What's the risk? is it ever ok?

Just realised I don't have a proper cable and I want to do some playing...

[quote name='1970' timestamp='1436355187' post='2817363']...
What's the risk? is it ever ok?...
[/quote]

The main difference between the two is the ability to pass current, due to the different wire gauge used. If using signal cable for speakers, the electrical resistance is relatively high, compared to speaker cable, and the sound can suffer. At higher volumes, the cable can fail, become intermittent and cause damage to the amp or cab. Not recommended, then, but can be used at low levels (at home, for instance, at bedroom levels...). I've done it before, and suffered no damage, but it's a risk, just the same.
The main problem the other way round (using speaker cable for signal...) is that speaker cables are not 'shielded', and will pick up hum very easily. The signal will be very noisy, sometimes more noise than bass-playing..! No danger or damage, but disagreeable in the extreme.
Hope this helps.

When I first started playing I did it and got away with it, but it's worth pointing out this was using a 50 watt amp for low-volume rehearsals. I suspect many of the people who insist it is OK are guitarists using relatively low powered amps. Signal cables aren't built to handle much current, and as they heat up the resistance increases. Even if they don't catch fire, the increased resistance can be tough on a valve amp.

done it once when I forgot my normal link cable, no problems at all with a 300 watt extension cab, I suspect the worse that can happen is the cable won't take the current melt and short out blowing a fuse in your amp, not something I'd recommend except in an emergency

The one that always confuses me is what lead to use between a jack monitor output on a mixer to a powered monitor jack input? I assume its a signal/instrument cable as you are only carrying a signal not power. But then why out of the same mixer you use speaker cables to go into active speakers when its the same principal??? Very confusing

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1436359678' post='2817460']
The one that always confuses me is what lead to use between a jack monitor output on a mixer to a powered monitor jack input? I assume its a signal/instrument cable as you are only carrying a signal not power. But then why out of the same mixer you use speaker cables to go into active speakers when its the same principal??? Very confusing
[/quote]

no need to use speaker cables into active speakers, surely?

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1436361004' post='2817491']
You don't.
[/quote]

Well I have learnt something today then :)
As its happens since we bought a better mixer with XLR outputs we use mic leads leads now anyway but with our old mixer with only jack outs w3 used speaker leads! :(

it all depends on the strength of the signal, from say a passive bass where the signal is very weak, a shielded instrument cable is a must same from a mic, but, say from an active bass (or any preamp) upwards you'd probable get away with a normal cable, but there's no need really it's not going to melt carrying that amount of current
Not all instrument cables are the same, rule of thumb the thicker it is the more current it will probably carry before it turns iinto a smoke machine, if you want to use an instrument cable just keep feeling it to see how hot it's getting, and keep it as short as possible

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1436363875' post='2817523']
it all depends on the strength of the signal, from say a passive bass where the signal is very weak, a shielded instrument cable is a must same from a mic, but, say from an active bass (or any preamp) upwards you'd probable get away with a normal cable, but there's no need really it's not going to melt carrying that amount of current
Not all instrument cables are the same, rule of thumb the thicker it is the more current it will probably carry before it turns iinto a smoke machine, if you want to use an instrument cable just keep feeling it to see how hot it's getting, and keep it as short as possible
[/quote]

Sorry to disagree with you but the signal level from either an active or passive bass is very low and therefore susceptible to electrical interference from mains, lighting, RF, etc. or it will simply be microphonic. For this reason you should always use a screened cable between an instrument or mic and an amplifier or mixer. In this case we are talking millivolts and milliamps. As rule of thumb anything before a power amp should be screened, anything after should have symmetrical conductors.

Signals between power amplifiers and loudspeaker cabinets are in a different league being measured in volts and amps. A 500-watt amp into a nominally 4-ohm cab can potentially send in excess of 10-amps. An instrument cable with a centre conductor cross section of 0.22-sq.mm. can safely carry a couple of amps at best.

As rule of thumb anything before a power amp should be screened, anything after can be unscreened and should have symmetrical conductors.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1436362564' post='2817508']
Well I have learnt something today then :)
As its happens since we bought a better mixer with XLR outputs we use mic leads leads now anyway but with our old mixer with only jack outs w3 used speaker leads!
[/quote]They will work, electrons aren't picky, but since speaker cables aren't shielded they're prone to low frequency hum and high frequency noise. It's usually not severe with a low impedance line level signal. Use a speaker cable to connect a high impedance passive pickup bass to your amp and the hum and noise will likely be intolerable.

[quote]Thanks for your advice, I'm going to do it anyway. [/quote]Then why did you bother asking the question? :unsure:

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1436365164' post='2817543']
Sorry to disagree with you but the signal level from either an active or passive bass is very low and therefore susceptible to electrical interference from mains, lighting, RF, etc. or it will simply be microphonic. For this reason you should always use a screened cable between an instrument or mic and an amplifier or mixer. In this case we are talking millivolts and milliamps. As rule of thumb anything before a power amp should be screened, anything after should have symmetrical conductors.

Signals between power amplifiers and loudspeaker cabinets are in a different league being measured in volts and amps. A 500-watt amp into a nominally 4-ohm cab can potentially send in excess of 10-amps. An instrument cable with a centre conductor cross section of 0.22-sq.mm. can safely carry a couple of amps at best.

As rule of thumb anything before a power amp should be screened, anything after can be unscreened and should have symmetrical conductors.
[/quote]you'r right, ]I'm not saying you shouldn't use a screened cable, to be on the safe side one should always be used at low volts and amps, but you're more likely to get away with a normal one after a preamp, I know I've done it on occasions, between my FX pedal and the amp, a short run but no hum was noticeable

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1436367535' post='2817573']
you'r right, ]I'm not saying you shouldn't use a screened cable, to be on the safe side one should always be used at low volts and amps, but you're more likely to get away with a normal one after a preamp, I know I've done it on occasions, between my FX pedal and the amp, a short run but no hum was noticeable
[/quote]

I'd just like to be pedantic and suggest that the term 'normal' is inappropriate here, sorry. A 'normal' cable for signals is screened, with thin conductors. A 'normal' cable for passive cabs is not screened, and has thicker conductors They should not be confused or inverted; in some cases damage could result. The reasons are explained above. Some folks are luckier (or more reasonable in their abuse...) than others. It's a good idea, in general, to identify speaker cables if there is any risk of confusion; jack/jack cables, especially. Martin Audio used XLR for their cabs, too, at one time; that could be another trap.

WOW! this is news to me. I'd never known about this. I believe my 2nd hand Head and Cab came with speaker cable, but i'll need to check. I've never run them at anywhere close to serious power / volume, but I'd always just assumed there was no difference between the cables and at some points had put good quality instrument cables in between Head and Cab. I will make sure I get some decent quality cables for these now!