Why become a member? ×

The House Rig

Norris

It's a dilemma. There is a bass rig provided which means you don't have to set up and pack down yours. Do you use it?

Last night I used the one provided and really wished I'd used my own. It was a rack mount Fender thing (yep, that unimpressed I didn't bother to remember the model) with way too many knobs, buttons and sliders, into Hartke 2x10 and 1x15 cabs. Echoes like you only get in village halls (actually a local football club) didn't help me trying to dial in a decent sound. I wish I'd have used my Rumble combo :)

My last two gigs have been in London venues with poor parking and poorer access so I used the house rigs, which in one case was a small Hiwatt bass combo (which I needn't have bothered with as it couldn't be heard in the room anyway - however I had good monitoring so all was OK) and in the other was a form of Ashdown 4X10 combo (which actually sounded bloody good and I was impressed).

But if at all possible I'll use my own gear. What's the point of all the amp and cab GAS and the endless swapping, buying and trading-up to get 'your' sound, otherwise? I know there are people who are quite happy to go FOH and use monitoring (and I can't argue with that as I can easily see the advantages), but if I don't get something approaching 'my' sound on stage I'm not as confident about playing as I'd like to be and that's important. Isn't it? :)

Edited by discreet

One major advantage of using house rigs when available is the ability to get the bus to the gig, which means not having to faff about finding somewhere to park or get roped into driving anyone elses gear around and being able to have some beers. There are some gigs where that would tip the balance for me!

Edited by Beer of the Bass

This is why I decided to go head/cab route rather than combo, and have a pre-amp/DI pedal. No matter what I`m using I can get my sound to FOH either by plugging my amp into the provided speakers, or if they`re not happy with that, or provided rig is a combo, use the pre-amp/DI pedal, and I`ll put up with the on-stage sound. I actually prefer using the pre-amp/DI pedal if honest, as speakers can colour the sound so much. This way, by DI-ing to FOH from the pedal I can send what I need out there, then get the sound I`m after from the provided rigs eq without it interfering with what the audience hear.

If I'm gigging in London then I do whatever I can to avoid the house rig but as said above, parking and loading can be a nightmare. We played in shoreditch a while back and the bouncer had a go at the drummer for parking outside the venue in the other side of the road! No need!

I don't fully understand why it is recommended drummers use their own breakables by sound engineers but bassists have to use the provided rig because of time constraints. Again, we played a festival and looked at the provided gk rig, thought I don't even know how to turn that on. I told the stroppy stage hand I'd use my own, she went off in a huff. In the time the drummer had swopped pedals I'd set up my rig onstage and plugged in the di. Quick line check I get a resounding thumbs up from the engineer and we're good to go. It does seem like we get short changed as a breed.

I'm about to use the house (or headline bands) combo, as it's all set up & easiest, helps changeover time. I have a feeling it won't be a scratch on my rig (which I have with me, and will crack out if needed), but lets see....

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1434832022' post='2803221']
What if you're told there's something there , and there isn't ? What if it packs up/ makes dangerous noises when your banging away?
[/quote]

I've had an amp pack up mid-song on a festival stage, fortunately my DI was in front of the amp and I managed to finish the song by sight alone then ask the sound guy for some bass in the monitors. It wasn't much fun, admittedly!

I had a bass amp cutting out intermittently ,and the guitarist had to get a replacement before we started. Touch and go, as to,whether the replacement would reach us in Time . Okay, that was hired equipment . As we were quite angry, we managed to do a great version of pretty vacant ,complete with amp,kicking syndrome .

The kit provided last night made a few noises that I wasn't keen on when pushed. I stopped pushing :)

The drum kit provided was a novelty too. Obviously set up for being miced and was very quiet without. The bass drum could barely be heard and the snare was like a Quality Street tin!

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1434819192' post='2803078']
It's a dilemma. There is a bass rig provided which means you don't have to set up and pack down yours. Do you use it?

Last night I used the one provided and really wished I'd used my own. It was a rack mount Fender thing (yep, that unimpressed I didn't bother to remember the model) with way too many knobs, buttons and sliders, into Hartke 2x10 and 1x15 cabs. Echoes like you only get in village halls (actually a local football club) didn't help me trying to dial in a decent sound. I wish I'd have used my Rumble combo :)
[/quote]

I generally bring my own. If there's PA support then I might just bring one small cab and head, or the little MarkBass combo. 85% of the times I use the provided rig I'm not happy with the sound: it may be reasonable out front, but terrible onstage which makes it more difficult for me than necesary, and takes away a lot of the fun. So I try to use my own stuff.

Hi ,this is a bag of worms this one.
A few kinda viewpoints or observations.
I will agree that some venues with backlines should be ashamed of themselves with the equipment on site .
.All backline should be pro/tour standard,that works as it should,another can of worms
Good sound on stage gives great performances from the bands/solo/duo etc and importantly the audience with a great sound FOH as well.
You wouldn,t go for a parachute jump with a bedsheet attached to bungees hooked onto your belt would you.

Edited by bassmachine2112

I have in the past, I'll always use my head and pedal board so I at least know what's going on with my sound, nothing worse than being on stage and using someone else's gear where there is a problem and you're under pressure to sort it out. Which 9 times out of ten is a simple problem but because you're unfamiliar with how the amp in question works and its something simple like it's on standby.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1434886023' post='2803542']
Funnily enough I find the cab the biggest problem...
[/quote]

unfortunately true... well, that, and the fact that I'm the guy playing but I can't find a suitable alternative for the latter ;)