Why become a member? ×

Thunderbird bass comparison

Cosmo Valdemar

I've just stumbled upon these videos that might prove intriguing. I've no idea what the chap is on about but you get a good idea of the tonal differences between various Thunderbirds - some Gibson, some not.
I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to Thunderbirds and it's interesting to hear how different the modern version is to the 'classic'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVPxnecYtMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aDiy8nbYVA

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1434616538' post='2801153']
This may be a stupid question but bear in mind I know nothing at all about Thunderbird basses. Do they naturally sound very muddy and fuzz effected or is that a sound coming from the amp?
[/quote]

No, they don't, but that's just my ears talking and I only have experience of the non-reverse ;) Did you not have a shottie of my NR at Moffat?

This may be a stupid question but bear in mind I know nothing at all about Thunderbird basses. Do they naturally sound very muddy and fuzz effected or is that a sound coming from the amp?
[/quote]

The guy's playing through a mic'd up SVT rig so there is a little bit of drive coming from there. I would much rather here a demo presented in this way as opposed to the usual clicky DI nightmares.

[/quote]

Mine does not do clean even on a single pickup. There's always a bit of grit in there.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1434623140' post='2801224']

No, they don't, but that's just my ears talking and I only have experience of the non-reverse ;) Did you not have a shottie of my NR at Moffat?
[/quote]

I did not! I shall next year though.

The funny shapes intimidated me I think

I played three different levels of t bird the other day at Andertons.
The entry level bolt on neck sounded terrible, but played ok, whereas the classic (?) set neck epiphone kicked even the USA version to the curb.
The epiphone had a clarity and bite that the USA didn't. The USA sounded weak and lifeless to both myself and the guitarists I took with me.
The USA left me cold, and wondering why it cost over a thousand pounds more than the epiphone model

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1434629431' post='2801318']
The entry level bolt on neck sounded terrible, but played ok, whereas the classic (?) set neck epiphone kicked even the USA version to the curb.
The epiphone had a clarity and bite that the USA didn't. The USA sounded weak and lifeless to both myself and the guitarists I took with me.
The USA left me cold, and wondering why it cost over a thousand pounds more than the epiphone model
[/quote]

If it's the rather wordy Epiphone Thunderbird Classic IV PRO you're talking about, then it's through neck and uses exactly the same pickups as the USA model.

If that particular Epiphone sounded better to you than that particular Gibson, go get it and save yourself a packet. Epiphone gear is decent, just ask any Jack Casady owner.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1434627183' post='2801289']
I did not! I shall next year though.

The funny shapes intimidated me I think
[/quote]

Ha, you mustn't worry about that. I'll bring the freakshow circus with me next time ;)

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1434629431' post='2801318']
[/quote]

Even in the video the Epiphone Classic Pro sounds livelier than the contemporary US model. I'm really not a fan of the current pickups though, all the treble and growl seems to have been lost. I reckon the Classic Pro would be great with a pair of Thunderbuckers installed.

He's fiddling with the controls on the bass altering the balance between pups and varying his picking a bit too so it's a not very scientific test, but interesting nonetheless. I bought a 2003 Gibson a couple of years ago as it was going cheap. Monstrous sound and such a fast neck but I was playing a lot of acoustic stuff at the time and sold it on. Since joined a rock band and was missing it so I tried the Epiphone Pro's . Much heavier, and a more chunky neck than my old Gibson, a bit like moving from a J to a P-bass. The sound was different too as shown in the video.

I've since bought a Japanese made Burny (Fernandes) T-bird. The necks a delight, same dimensions as the old Gibson but much better finished. The bass weighs less than the Gibson and a lot less than any of the Epiphones It's got a hell of a thud but slightly less top than the Gibbo. It sustains well just like the Gibson. I suspect very overwound Pups used. You don't really get that aggressive edge the old Gibson had. If I gigged it a lot I'd probably change the Pups but the moral is that if you want a cheap but good T-Bird then it's worth having a look at the Japanese copies.

Edited by Phil Starr

I have just picked up an Epiphone Classic IV I have played it a few times and have decided I really don't like it, it feels huge when compared to a Precision, it can do a Precision type sound quiet well but then again so does a Precision, at least a Precision fits in a gig bag and at least a Precision case fits in the boot of a big car, the Epiphone falls short on both accounts....shame really because it looks great!

Only ever tried Epiphone and Tokai versions until quite recently, and found them pretty hard work - weighed a tonne, fairly uninspiring sound and cumbersome to play. Looked immense tho.

Then I got a chance to try a real thunderbird at the Midlands Bass Bash, and it was fantastic - slim, responsive, and actually pretty lightweight in comparison to the boat anchors I'd played before.

I need to spend more time getting my head round thunderbirds, as secretly I still think they're epic basses and by far the coolest looking instruments in the universe.

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1435091471' post='2805446']
Only ever tried Epiphone and Tokai versions until quite recently, and found them pretty hard work - weighed a tonne, fairly uninspiring sound and cumbersome to play. Looked immense tho.

Then I got a chance to try a real thunderbird at the Midlands Bass Bash, and it was fantastic - slim, responsive, and actually pretty lightweight in comparison to the boat anchors I'd played before.

I need to spend more time getting my head round thunderbirds, as secretly I still think they're epic basses and by far the coolest looking instruments in the universe.
[/quote]

For me this is the essence of these frustrating instruments, and the reason the Epi's don't work for me. The ergonomics of T-birds are truly awful. They neck dive like crazy and twist away from your body. Playing them for a lengthy time makes muscles you didn't know about start aching like mad. Even with a wide strap the weight goes entirely on your left shoulder and the bass feels unstable. the only time I used it for a full gig (2hrs+) my left wrist ached for days after. I find my fretting hand is holding the bass as well as fretting it. The joy is that the Gibsons are really light and have a superslim/fast neck, there's a tendency to chuck them about a bit when you are playing and that adds to the energy of the performance and the fun factor.

The Epi's are heavier so you lose that, I guess if you are built like an ox then it may be less of an issue. I actually think the Epi's sound great and the QC is probably better than Gibsons but the extra weight kills them for me.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1435133589' post='2805694']
For me this is the essence of these frustrating instruments, and the reason the Epi's don't work for me. The ergonomics of T-birds are truly awful. They neck dive like crazy and twist away from your body. Playing them for a lengthy time makes muscles you didn't know about start aching like mad. Even with a wide strap the weight goes entirely on your left shoulder and the bass feels unstable. the only time I used it for a full gig (2hrs+) my left wrist ached for days after. I find my fretting hand is holding the bass as well as fretting it. The joy is that the Gibsons are really light and have a superslim/fast neck, there's a tendency to chuck them about a bit when you are playing and that adds to the energy of the performance and the fun factor.

The Epi's are heavier so you lose that, I guess if you are built like an ox then it may be less of an issue. I actually think the Epi's sound great and the QC is probably better than Gibsons but the extra weight kills them for me.
[/quote]

I reckon things like the Mike Lull T4 are the way to go for really superior build quality and great ergonomics within a faithful T bird style. Shame they're about £2,500 tho...

• 2 months later...

NBD in progress, should receive this one in a few weeks.

[url="http://www.casimages.com/i/150901125726832098.jpg.html"][/url]

i'm pretty curious about the improvement in ergonomics compared with original ones: 34-inch scale, better balance due to heavier body, neck seems a little larger after 12th fret too. Can't wait !

Edited by Hooch

[quote name='Hooch' timestamp='1441105826' post='2856025']
NBD in progress, should receive this one in a few weeks.

[url="http://www.casimages.com/i/150901125726832098.jpg.html"][/url]

i'm pretty curious about the improvement in ergonomics compared with original ones: 34-inch scale, better balance due to heavier body, neck seems a little larger after 12th fret too. Can't wait !
[/quote]

What is this beauty?!

Exactly, the same as ones used in the second vid you posted. Not well-known in European countries, but my guess is they're pretty decent alternatives to Lulls. Curious to A/B this one with a Greco tbird. Specs come close indeed: 34-inch (a bit shorter for the Greco), maple set-neck and mahogany body.

Btw, i don't usually like pin-stripes, but on this one, i find it... very nice. Becoming old i guess