Why become a member? ×

What would you do if...

Ruck

... you received a pedal you just bought off basschat and the seller's idea of packaging was just to stick brown tape all over the pedal's original box, which is now impossible to peel off without destroying the box. No further packaging, and yes the postman leaves it outside the front door in the rain.

Edited by Ruck

If like me you make a point of packaging things really well, then other people's packaging can seem a bit lax at best. And you can't blame the sender for the actions of the postman, either. I would probably say nothing, be a bit lukewarm with the feedback and not buy anything else from that seller. Or at least next time say, '...for Chrissake make a better job of the packing this time, you deek!' :D

Edited by discreet

What would I do? Probably suck my teeth and forget about it. The pedal wouldn't have been much more protected had the box been wrapped in a couple of layers of brown paper, which is my usual [i]modus deliverandi[/i] and which seems to give satisfaction.

That said, I was once a bit taken aback to receive a semi-acoustic where the only packaging material was about 30 foot of cling film wrapped round the case :huh:
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1434244338' post='2798005']
Photos of what? The seller in a compromising position with the neighbour's cat? Not a proportionate response, imho. :mellow:
[/quote]

I'm not seeing how it's disproportionate?
Although I did assume the OP had discussed it with the seller and got nowhere.

Yeh but if you decide to sell it on you will need to send the box covered in tape and you might get the blame.
Should have been wrapped in paper or in another box.
If you had recieved it this was from a shop you would have sent it back altho not practical in this case and looks like just gona have to accept the sender was a bit lacking in value of original packaging for any item.
I thought everyone watched Antiques Roadshow these days. Original box goes a long way into value of item :D

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1434265702' post='2798054']
Yeh but if you decide to sell it on you will need to send the box covered in tape and you might get the blame.
[/quote]

Maybe that's what happened to the seller... the seller before him covered the box in tape. :mellow:

Sorry, I meant :biggrin:

If you think part of the deal was a good condition orginal box then you haven't received what you brought, but if the cost of the pedal is still a good if it where sold "without original box" then I'd proberly let it go.

I once received a 1976 Rickenbacker 4001 in a cheap flimsy gig bag with a burst zip and some brown tape wrapped around the bag once. the bass was in perfect condition when it arrived. I have no idea how the courier thought that it was acceptable to take it like that.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Ruck' timestamp='1434241803' post='2797995']
... you received a pedal you just bought off basschat and the seller's idea of packaging was just to stick brown tape all over the pedal's original box, which is now impossible to peel off without destroying the box. No further packaging, and yes the postman leaves it outside the front door in the rain.
[/quote]

As others have said, unless it was explicitly sold "with original box" then theres no grounds for complaint IMO. Put it this way - would you still feel aggrieved if it had arrived in some random box packaged the same way ?.

When I've sold stuff in the past I've put the item in whatever appropriately sized box was to hand which may or may not be the original one, if I happen to use to original one and someone complained about its condition then I'd tell them were having a laugh.

Edited by bassman7755

:) At least it was not as bad as someone sending me a £120 pedal in a jiffy bag... Funnily enough the original seller for the pedal in the OP was me! about 3-4 years ago, same guy, but considering the PMs I dont think he realised. I definitely didnt cover the box in tape :D but it wasnt in pristine condition either.

All valid responses, thanks guys. No the pedal was not sold "with original box" on the ad but it came with the original box all taped up hehe I like my boxes... all piled up under my bed... yeah its not too important... considering Iron Ether's original box is just a small plain white card box!

No its definitely not the sellers fault it was left in the rain either however, I like people to consider this might happen when sending electrical goods through standard 1st class royal mail.

Feedback is a tricky thing. I bought a mic a short time ago that arrived not working. On inspection neither wire was attached. I sent the seller a message which he promptly ignored. I would have been fine with a 'sorry to hear that' but nothing.

I did nothing because I accept that the wires can be fragile but It did seem unlikely both would be detached. I wonder if anyone has ever left bad feedback?

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1434297095' post='2798404']
I wonder if anyone has ever left bad feedback?
[/quote]
[quote name='Ruck' timestamp='1434307201' post='2798550']
I was thinking the same thing
[/quote]

I've seen a couple of less-than-positive feedback posts, they are out there. Very unusual, though. Mainly because most people are cool and this is a relatively safe place to deal. Also I think because BassChatters are essentially nice people, they don't like to leave negative feedback even when it would be appropriate (myself included). Which of course compromises the integrity of the feedback system.

We have to be brutally honest, people! It's for the good of the community! :)

Edited by discreet

It'll be reet - brown parcel tape usually comes unstuck by itself after a couple of years. You can either wait until that happens or use a craft knife to carefully open the box and play with the pedal. ;)

I think unless it;s been sold as 'all original packaging in excellent condition' then I'd just let it go. It's pretty frustrating though when folks don't package stuff well, especially given the number of horror stories floating around where employees of postal/courier firms have been less than diligent in the execution of their duties. As long as the pedal's fine then I'd just leave it.