Why become a member? ×

Inappropriate Songs For The Occasion

Norris

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1432947429' post='2786571']
My old band played a Friday night at a Con club, all OK; our usual mix of pop+rock, 50s-90s.

So they rebooked for a Saturday. Cool :)

Nobody told us that Saturday was the night the punters danced. And by "dance" I mean "waltzes".

We were not well received.

:D
[/quote]

We had a gig like that once. We were booked in play in a night club on a Tuesday night. We arrived and set up. It was getting towards time to start playing but the place was about empty. The owner assured us that a coach load were turning up.

Sure enough the coach arrived and a load of elderly couples got off - all of the women carrying a plastic bag. They then sat around the edge of the dance floor and got out their silver dancing shoes. It was a ballroom outing!

As luck would have it all of us had previously been in a showband together and proceeded to play a selection of quicksteps and foxtrots. Not quite what we were expecting and certainly one of the strangest gigs we ever played

I really do think that some people don't listen to the lyrics when choosing songs for their wedding.

A couple we've had as first dances have been:

Always, Bon Jovi - a song about a guy who had a fling with another woman and is singing about the girl he used to be with but will never be with again

Without You, Nillson - the first line is the girl leaving him forever

The first song for tonight's wedding is Rule The World by Take That but what's the second song? Mr Brightside :lol:

Edited by Delberthot

One I heard about a few years ago - first dance: I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

On a related note, believe it or not, I played a few weddings with the Dire Straits tribute I was in. Most went ok, some were great. During the last one we did, a gentleman approached the wife of our frontman and asked if she was with the band. When she said she was, he said he wanted to make a complaint. His complaint was that we only played songs by Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler. When she explained that this was because we were a DS tribute band, he said "that's no f'ing good for a wedding". He might well have been right, but he was pointed in the direction of the bride and groom, who had specifically chosen us. He was up dancing for the second set...

We send out our song list to the bride and groom in advance of the reception to see if there is anything in particular they want or don't want, lots of track go in and out for different couples but the one that has been a yes for every wedding we have done so far is "Everyday I Love You Less and Less!" Kaiser Chiefs

In my shady past as a Bassie in a functions band, I remember that "Go Your Own Way" was a regular request at wedding receptions...as was "Ever Fallen In Love (With Someone You Shouldnt've)" by the Buzzcocks...

I did a gig once where a singer called a tune but which, when we started, was all over the place. Thinking I was in the wrong key, I looked over the pianist's shoulder to see that he was playing the wrong SONG.

His choice? 'How Insensitive'.

we played at a wedding reception last year and played Alive by Pearl Jam, went down well dispite being about "the story of a young man discovering that his father is actually his stepfather, and his real father is dead, while his mother’s grief leads to an incestuous relationship with the son, who strongly resembles the biological father"
nice family values and all that, we'll probably play it at the wedding later this year, tbh i dont think the song meanings really matter, its just if people enjoy them

Edited by lowhand_mike

[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1433171601' post='2788523']
...don't think the song meanings really matter, its just if people enjoy them.
[/quote]

I have a theory that a significant percentage of the public have no idea what the lyrics are to any given song.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1433097713' post='2787837']
Its not just weddings though surely.

apparently Light My Fire, and Arthur Browns Fire are popular at Cremations. Not many funerals have bands though.

Anybody played a funeral ?
[/quote]

I've heard of "Another one bites the dust" being played over the PA at a biker's funeral. Must be true, the vicar told me.

I remember my mate telling a story that a mate of his was sat in a registry office waiting for a wedding to start when his phone rang. He had "Final Countdown" by Europe as his ring tone. He was just laughing with his girlfriend about "imagine how embarrassing it would have been if that went off during the wedding" - when ten minutes later the doors flung open and the bride walked down the room to that very same song blaring over the speakers!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1433178260' post='2788618']
I have a theory that a significant percentage of the public have no idea what the lyrics are to any given song.
[/quote]

I played in a covers band once in which the singer would often change the lyrics in songs to 'soundalikes' that gave the song a completely different meaning. On the downside, people at our regular gigs started to expect it and we would sometimes get a bit of flak for playing songs as per the original lyrics. :huh:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1433179224' post='2788636']
I've no doubt that bikers would find that very amusing.
[/quote]
Ha, not only bikers but anyone with a morbid sense of humour. I'd personally aim for something completely uncalled for to be played... I mean, if you can't annoy your friends & family after you go what's the point!

FWIW we had a weird one at my father's funeral. All arranged, with play list given to the vicar bloke including for the final bit where the coffin is removed. I can't remember what my mum had asked for, but we were quite confused when Sinatra's "My Way" came on because it certainly wasn't that, and wasn't entirely appropriate for my old man. Oops. You're not supposed to laugh at funerals, are you?

Woke from an operation to remove a cyst from my ball bag only to hear the hospital DJ playing Jerry Lee Lewis singing "Great Balls Of Fire".
My missus couldn't work out why I was laughing, she thought it was the intravenous painkillers having an affect.......