Why become a member? ×

Five songs that changed your life completely, and for ever...

I reckon we have all had those moments when we have heard a song on the radio, and it changed everything that you thought was good before that... Not necessarily what made you pick up the bass for the first time, and you don't even have to like them now. Either a full album or a single, and go for 5 of them. Mine as follows.. Master Of Reality, Black Sabbath..full album....got me into metal.... Virginia Plain...single....Roxy Music...got me out of metal and into sax and synth.... Judy Teen....single... Cockney Rebel....got me into, and made me take up playing violin, which eventually led to playing bass.... A Wizard A True Star..full album..Todd Rundgren...got me into listening to how music can be layered, and the importance of structure. Sex Machine...single..James Brown...got me into what is still my main passion in music..Funk... There, my 5 life changing songs that happened in the length of time it takes to listen to a single or a 12" album, between 3 and 40 minutes. These were real stop me in my tracks and kick me in the spuds moments, and have collectively changed my life completely, and without them I would have led a totally different, and none musical life...

Edited by jonnythenotes

Interesting..

Teenage Kicks: The Undertones.. The first song I ever learned

School Days: Stanley Clarke.. It's simply a masterpeice on every level

Rio Funk: Lee Ritenour.. I needed my bass to sound like that

Cut the Cake: AWB.. The perfect '70s funk track with so much feel

Canned Heat: Jamiroquai.. This rolled me over, I had to play like Nick

If I was to be really cheeky, I have to stick Kula Shaker on there too as this was a pre-curser to me going down the jazz / funk road as Alonza Bevan is an excellent and influential player to me.. :D

These aren't my favourites but the most significant.

O Fortuna, Carmina Burana. Much over played now but when I was a 5/6 year old in the early 80s my mum put it on and I simply found it terrifying- an early realisation of the power of music.

Hey Jude/ The Beatles. I was about 10 and had left a Beatles tape running whilst I had a bath. I walked back into my bedroom as this song started, and it just went straight to my heart.

Plant/ Page- Misty Mountain Hop at Knebworth 90. Never heard Led Zep, 13 years old in a crowd of 125000 people, that happened. Still coming down!
Smells Like Teen Spirit- Nirvana. Again much over played but at the time it was first rock song that felt like it totally belonged to me and my friends. Resulted in an ill advised undercut hair do.

Massive Attack- Safe From Harm. After years of an almost allergic reaction to synths and drum machines a record that swept all that to one side by being human, funky and electronic.

Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights: First song that I can remember liking. I was about 5 years old and loved it so much I made my parents buy me the album. Been a Kate Bush fan ever since.

The Who - The Real Me: My dad played me Quadrophenia when I was about 7. Loved the bass all through the album, but The Real Me really stood out.

Pink Floyd - Welcome to the Machine: Probably the same day as hearing Quardophenia. My dad's attempt to scare me into going to bed was to play this quite loudly. It back fired, I listened to the whole song then had him start the album from track one.

Iron Maiden - Killers: Can't remember when the 1st time I heard this was, but it made me want a bass.

fast forward a decade or so

Einsturzende Neubauten - [color=#000000]Yü-Gung (Fütter Mein Ego): A French mate played this to me one night in the late 80s. Was like nothing I'd heard before. Loved this band for a long time now, not just because of the music. Back in the early 2000s they started a supporters funding project. Supporters had access to a private forum, I've met dozens of other supporters from across the globe. Many have become very dear friends. We're more like an extended family.[/color]

Live Aid - Queen - The reason I play the bass

Appetite for Destruction - GnR - learned to play properly playing along to this album

White Room - Cream - I learned what was possible regarding improvising

BSSM - The Chilis - changed my outlook on bass forever

Fragile -Yes - just an amazing album. I still listen to it in its entirety at least once a month. I remember hearing Roundabout on Virgin Radio when I was 15, totally blew my mind

Edited by Delberthot

I love these threads. It's all about the power of music.

Ravel's Bolero - heard it at school in a music lesson (1974) - (actually, it would be more accurate to say I SAW it as it was on film (not video, film). An awakening. I went home and told MUm about it and it turned out she had it on record. I played it over and over and over. I also heard/saw that Disney version of Peter and The Wolf in that same music lesson but, for some reason, as much as I loved it, it didn't have the same life-changing effect as the Ravel.

Take It Off The Top - Dixie Dregs. I loved the Friday Rock Show and used to listen to it diligently. This was the theme but what it subtly did, along with Al Di Meola's 'Chasin' The Voodoo', was to show me how much I preferred iunstrumental musics to songs. After the Rock Show, came Alexis Korner's programme which had Weather Report's 'Birdland' as a theme tune - another indicator of the merits of music without words.

Fand - The Enid - I saw them live in about 1979 (and many times afterwards). I had no idea who they were but they appeared in a local theatre venue at a time when I would have been impressed by anything. They were one if the first bands I ever saw live (THE first was Gillan). This piece, an epic that took up the whole side of their Aerie Faerie Nonsense lp, was absoutely captivating. I still listen to it occasionally today.

Donna Lee - Jaco - an absolute WTF!! moment.

Conference Of The Birds - Dave Holland - the day I realised you didn't have to 'understand' something to appreciate it.

One of the first albums that made a big impression on me (around 1969) was a compilation called "Gut Bucket". It featured names like Duane Allman (with his then band the "Hour Glass" and the song was called "Down in Texas"), Captain Beefheart, ("Gimmie That Harp Boy") and The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band ("Dismal Swamp"). As a young teenager, this was all very new and exiting music.

Other songs/albums that have always stayed with me are :

Steely Dan - "Brooklyn Owes The Charmer Under Me"

Miles Davis - "So What". Both the track and the album "Kind of Blue" was my introduction to jazz, an enjoyable journey that still exists to this day.

"Forever Autumn" - Justin Hayward

Edited by Coilte

Barenaked Ladies - One Week - first single I bought
Four Star Mary - Pain - got me into rockier stuff
Blink 182 - Dammit - moving on from Four Star Mary this kicked off my pop-punk obsession in my mid-teens
Electric Wizard - Witchcult Today started my love of doom
Emperor - I Am The Black Wizards - and this my other musical love, black metal

Growing uo my Dad played Johnny Cash and Neil Diamond to death on an old reel to reel and on 8 track in the car :)

In my own formative years it was..
Never mind the Bollox at School
The Ruts Babylon's Burning (they were a local group)
The Boomtown Rats were huge at the time as well.
and also hearing Tubeway Army for the first time are all musical memories I have from round about the same time.

Nirvava - Nevermind. The first album that ever got me into music and playing music myself. Before this, i hadn't even considered picking up an instrument

Blink 182 - Carousel - At the time, i thought the bass intro was the greatest bass line ever written, and once i'd conquered it, i will have made it :D

Jamiroquai - Travelling without moving - Blew my mind. Loved everything about the album. Still do. I'd always been so against everything "pop" up until this point. Really opened my mind to what a dick i'd been :lol:

Tony Rich Project - Nobody Knows - No idea why, but i absolutely love this song! Listened to it over and over and over.

Jaco - Teen Town - This was the first Jaco song i heard. Not really my thing, but it changed the way i thought about what was possible on a bass

I should have had an honourable mention for Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds as it was the first record I bought with my own money, back in 1979. I've listened to that album several times a year since then. Edited by bartelby

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1432813942' post='2785208']
Miles Davis - "Kind Of Blue". Both the track and the album was my introduction to jazz, an enjoyable journey that still exists to this day.
[/quote]

There is no track 'Kind Of Blue'. Do you mean 'All Blues' or 'Blue In Green'?

[b]Jamiroquai - when you gonna learn[/b]..... The first Jamiroquai number I worked out myself, spnt along time on it, even although its one of the more simpler ones.
[b]Dream theater - take the time[/b]..... One of the hardest tunes I've ever tried to learn, stil cant play alot of it, but it gave me a focus that no other tune has ever done.
[b]Mr Big - Daddy brother[/b].... learned the 3 finger plucking thing on this tune in my early days, still use it to this day.
[b]Red hot Chilli pepper - aeroplane... [/b]Learnt so many slapping chops from this tune its unbelelivable.
[b]Laker - Golden.... [/b]This is actually a tune from an EP from a band I joined when i was about 23. I was replacing the bassist, but the recording and the playing on it was so good I actually merged my playing style from 'rock' player to 'funky'. Biggest influence on my playing bar none. Never met the guy, but he played the bass in such a different way to me, and I preferred it!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1432818803' post='2785275']
There is no track 'Kind Of Blue'. Do you mean 'All Blues' or 'Blue In Green'?
[/quote]

You are of course correct. What I should have said was "So What".

Duly corrected in my original post.

I think the oul' memory is fading !!! :D

Thanks for pointing that out.

Edited by Coilte

1. The whole of Iron Maiden's Live After Death album - heard it when i was 12 and blew me away. The reason i learned bass, and have played along to it many many times (probably still know it by heart 30 years later, along with every detail of the glorious double gatefold sleeve!) Standout track - Revelations

2. Weather Report - Heavy Weather album. It really opened my eyes to the possibilities of bass after a couple of stagnant years of non-committal playing, and give me new purpose. Standout track - Birdland

3. Francis Dunnery - Tall Blond Helicopter (album). First heard it during a difficult time in life, and the songwriting really spoke to me. Still a brilliant album. Standout track - Only New York Going On

4. Karine Polwart - Scribbled in Chalk (album). Incredible Scottish singer/guitarist, with songs that will make you cry. Really profound stuff but with a lightness of touch, and moved the benchmark for me musically. Standout track - Daisy

5. David Ford - Let the Hard Times Roll (album). Saw this performed live before hearing the album, and its the sound of one multi-instrumentalist pouring his heart out musically and lyrically. Fiery, angst-ridden and brilliant. Standout track - To Hell With the World

Edited by bassbiscuits

Seasons in The Sun, by Terry Jacks. At an early age I loved this and that "dum-dum" in the song. No idea at that age it was the bass, but that`s the sound I began to listen out for in songs.

Bohemian Rhapsody, by Queen. When I saw the video, once it got to the "live" part I knew I wanted to be in a band when I got older.

Pretty Vacant, by The Sex Pistols. On holiday in Jersey with my Grandparents in 1977, every shop had this blaring out and in comparison to the music I`d grown up with it seemed "alive". I then knew what kind of music I wanted to play in that band when I grew up.

Up Around The Bend, by Hanoi Rocks. In 1985 a guy at work loaned me their album, Two Steps from The Move. Awesome, and being a die-hard punk up to this point I began to appreciate rock. This track really opened my ears - and eyes - to new music and a style of clothing I found to be great.

Looks That Kill, by Motley Crue. A mate played me this after me mentioning Hanoi Rocks. Crue were slightly harder sounding and sent me along the glam/metal track. Still loved punk but this style of music really caught me. And the artwork on their albums was great - I have two tattoos of their artwork.

There's loads so these are what roll off without thinking to much

Clannad - Robin the Hooded man (from the TV show, but it sent me in a different musical direction as a teenager)

Mr Clean - Freddie Hubbard (got me into skimming the top of the jazz genre)

Walk on By - Stranglers (taught me Bass should rule the song, sometimes)

Wooden Ships - CSN (the live version, cant get enough of it)

There is a light - The Smiths (big effect on my teenage outlook)

Ive 10000s more

Edited by lojo

Mouldy Old Dough...Lieutenant Pigeon!..Yeah I know crazy and stupid but it was the first groove that as a kid I sat up and noticed.

Good Times.

Sylvia

Forget Me Knots

Take Another Guess (swing jazz groove)

Its difficult cause there's loads more really...

Edited by notable9

Summertime Blues - Eddie Cochran. I was 11 years old when I first heard it, and still the greatest song about teenage angst in the 1950's.
A Town Called Malice - The Jam. Bruce Foxton was my first bass hero, and really like the Motown vibe his bass part gave to the song.
Donna Lee - Jaco Pastorius. Jaw dropping moment for me when I heard his bass playing on this track (a bass player can really play like that?).
St Augustine in Hell - Sting. First bass line I learned in 7/4, and went back to listening to The Police stuff, and really appreciating his bass playing.
Perfectly Lonely - John Mayer. My favourite Pino track (thank you Scott Devine for using it in some of your lessons!).