Why become a member? ×

Five songs that changed your life completely, and for ever...

Overture from Tommy.
Roundabout.
School's Out (especially seeing them on TOTP).
Blackbird by Jaco.
Lord of Light from Hawkwind's Space Ritual - there was a time when Lemmy was melodic.
Honourable mention to anything by the Police - I learned the bass to it.
And hundreds more.
...and Apocalypse in 9/8 by Genesis - what bass pedals were made for.

Edited by spectoremg

I Want to be Adored - Stone Roses. I remember listening to the intro and as the verse kicked in, it just felt like I'd been familiar with, yet waiting for this music all my life (I was 14)

Got Myself a Good Man - Pucco & the Latin Soul Brothers. A riproaring beginning of an ongoing journey into funky latin beats.

Iambic 5 Poetry - Squarepusher. It was unlike anything I had heard before; glitchy yet organic, then bursts into beautiful melody like sunlight flooding into a dusty old room.

The Invasion - Burning Spear. It's reggae perfection. Probably the most spiritual thing this atheist will ever experience.

Schubert Impromptu D899 (can't remember the exact name). I normally gravitate towards rhythmic styles of music, but this solo piano piece is so fluid and dynamic, evoking strong emotions - a rare thing for me.

Closer to the heart - Rush (show of hands version). The record that made me go out and buy a bass.
Tommy the cat - Primus. Opened my eyes to a wider range of performance.
Good Vibrations -Beach Boys. Just because it's magical in every way.
So What - Miles Davis. Again, this opened my mind just a little bit wider.
The Lemon Song -Led Zeppelin. Masterclass in improvisation.

David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust - title track of the first album I actually loved as an album, not just a bunch of songs.

The Sex Pistols - God Save the Queen - heard in a record shop listening-booth - hairs stood up on the back of my neck, the purchase was made.

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks - made me realise there was a whole world of beautiful music that wasn't just 'rock'.

Bob Dylan - House of the Rising Sun - first song I ever learned on the guitar, from the version on his debut album.

The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter - in a small way, helped me realise I had to part company with Christianity