Why become a member? ×

Anyone used an online session drummer?

CamdenRob

In my continuing quest to put a new metal band together, I've recorded some basic demos of guitar and bass parts but tapping out electronic drums really does sound sh*t... I kinda need these demos to be as good as possible as I'm looking to use them to recruit interest parties.

I've been thinking of using one of those online guys where you send them your track and they record real drums for you.

I've found a guy who looks ideal with decent experience of the genre who seems to have a pretty extensive list of people who have been pleased with previous sessions work he's done. Anyone here done this sort of thing before? Looks good to me and seems a small price to pay for getting a couple of decent demos tracks together. Any pitfalls to be wary of?

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1429688549' post='2753861']
I was just going to say - try EZ Drummer, it sounds ace
[/quote]

I havent seen that before... looks pretty good.

I'd still be limited to my ideas of drum patterns though, I would ideally like someone who knows what there doing!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1429690529' post='2753886']
How much..?
And how much about his playing do you know?
[/quote]

It's looking like about £80 a track.

I only know as much about him as his website and the demos on it.

Happy to hear of any recomendations?

I think I'd be tempted to pay that as a session rate as I'm sure I could a few great live tracks for £150 a day
as long as the day was short-ish.
Depends how you see the standard and purpose of a demo..... if it was just for recruiting, I think I'd settle on loops
as anything else, I'd think of as overkill...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1429693702' post='2753924']
if it was just for recruiting, I think I'd settle on loops
as anything else, I'd think of as overkill...
[/quote]

Yeah i guess I should just go with loops.. trouble is I'm not really up to speed with drums and my attempts are ruining otherwise reasonable sounding tracks.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1429694370' post='2753940']
Yeah i guess I should just go with loops.. trouble is I'm not really up to speed with drums and my attempts are ruining otherwise reasonable sounding tracks.
[/quote]
We got drummers on here who I'm sure could advise on patterns. I would suggest you do what you can, post to Soundcloud (or whatever) then see what the drummers reckon.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1429693154' post='2753914']
It's looking like about £80 a track.

I only know as much about him as his website and the demos on it.

Happy to hear of any recomendations?
[/quote]

£80 a track sounds alot for what will be a demo that gets overwritten.

Loops does sound like the best idea. Depending on how tightly you've recorded the instrumental parts, it should be straightforward to layer some homemade loops on top of this.

If you were having issues getting this to fit, there's a lot of friendly DAW types on BC that could help you out here I'm sure.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1429697923' post='2753994']
We got drummers on here who I'm sure could advise on patterns. I would suggest you do what you can, post to Soundcloud (or whatever) then see what the drummers reckon.
[/quote]

Not a bad Idea that.. In fact a very generous BCer has already offered his help :) .. gotta love this place.

I'm in conversation with the original guy I contacted with regards to how it's going to work, so i'd like to see how things pan out there as he's already put some effort in listening to some example material etc.

As I'm not doing anything professional, I'm happy to have fun programming my own drums. However, if I came up with something I was proud of, I'd be tempted to pay a professional vocalist to sing it. It seems that there are people offering this service.

http://iamsilke.com
http://www.ginaellenvocalist.co.uk/online-session-singer/4578530093
http://singer-for-hire.com

As mentioned above - Paul Robinson's online service is great.

But it's worth checking out this guys video promo.
https://r8---sn-cu-n1ql.googlevideo.com/videoplayback?requiressl=yes&shardbypass=yes&cmbypass=yes&id=00b2e22c74c18fe7&itag=18&source=picasa&ip=86.177.243.236&ipbits=0&expire=1432364462&sparams=cmbypass,expire,id,ip,ipbits,itag,mm,ms,mv,pl,requiressl,shardbypass,source&signature=240E8519577987F3C54A28E77E92D1F4A5616471.7BAD0F7280C53634E2B431673B582066477ECED8&key=cms1&cms_redirect=yes&mm=31&ms=au&mt=1429772382&mv=m&pl=26

Edited by lowdown

In an extraordinary piece of blagging and luck, I did a session with Dave Weckl this way! Unfortunately it was recorded prior to my meagre attempts, and I didn't end up on the final recording regardless, surprise surprise.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1429794998' post='2755041']
Call me old fashioned, but if the aim is to put a band together why not put the band together and then work on parts together and record that??
[/quote]

The thing is, hardcore is a niche genre within a niche genre. it's about as far removed from other types of music refered to as metal (iron maiden, black sabbath, metallica etc.) as it is from boyzone... I want to put together some example tracks to avoid wasting anyones time.

Looks like I'm not alone with using online session drummers though :)

I'm going to give it a go with a guy I've found who has worked with similar bands in the past. Just a couple of tracks to see how it goes. I shall post the evidence when it's all come together... good or bad... :unsure: