Why become a member? ×

What The Hell Am I Supposed To Do??

alembic1989

It's like this chaps ( and chapesses).
I've got some killer basses.
I've been playing for donkeys years.
The sound I LOVE is a killer back pick up sound.....like you get from a jazz/ super jazz.
A sound that burps, growls,fizzes.
I am an artist in my own right with my own style...and have avoided buying a jazz BECAUSE I love THAT TONE...(it's all Jaco's fault). I've avoided buying a jazz cos I know that all I'll do all day is try to play Jaco licks instead of developing my own way as I have been doing.
But I just cannot help lusting after THAT SOUND.....
What the hell am I suppose to do????
HELP!!!!!!!!

Edited by alembic1989

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1427894882' post='2735548']
Buy an Acoustic 360.
[/quote]
NOOooooooo!

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1427894807' post='2735546']
Get the jazz... you won't sound like jaco, you'll sound like you with the sound you want :)
[/quote]

You sound like the little red guy that sits on my left shoulder

Why torture yourself? I understand you want to forge your own route, but surely it won't hurt to incorporate elements of other players you love. Or, to look at it another way, buy a jazz, go on a Jaco bender to end all Jaco benders and get it out of your system! You may find it adds something to your own style, or you may find that once you've had your binge you no longer have such a burning need to play it.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1427894807' post='2735546']
Get the jazz... you won't sound like jaco, you'll sound like you with the sound you want :)
[/quote]+1 As you say yourself, "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I am an artist in my own right with my own style," so you'll get that tone for sure, but it'll be you playing it. Yes you may go on a bit of a Jaco spree when you first get it, but then you'll settle down and just be you. It could also be that once you start using that tone, you'll not like it so much. Only one way to find out... [/font][/color]

GAS is a cruel mistress and must be obeyed [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif];)[/font][/color]

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1427895458' post='2735562']buy a jazz, go on a Jaco bender to end all Jaco benders and get it out of your system![/quote]

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

You know when you get a really catchy song stuck in your head, and it won't go away? Is the solution to try to forget about it? No! That never works! The solution is to seek out a recording of said song and listen to it in its entirety. Once the beast is sated, it will trouble you no more.

S.P.

Well I hope you're satisfied.
My bass playing brothers.
Because of your evil and bad bad advice..I've just pulled the trigger on my very first jazz bass ( after 40 years of playing).
I should never have started this damned thread.
Mr Discreet didn't help at all with that review of his bass.
I've just gone and bought an identical one to his from the German company....well it is my birthday in a couple of weeks.
I've got to admit though....the sense of relief after so many years ..is just fantastic.
Thank you all for your advice.
��

Edited by alembic1989

[quote name='alembic1989' timestamp='1427902295' post='2735695']
Because of your evil and bad bad advice..I've just pulled the trigger on my very first jazz bass ( after 40 years of playing).
Mr Discreet didn't help at all with that review of his bass.
I've just gone and bought an identical one to his from the German company....well it is my birthday in a couple of weeks.
I've got to admit though....the sense of relief after so many years ..is just fantastic.
Thank you all for your advice.
��
[/quote]

It would be silly not to have tried one of those at that price.

Hope it works out :)

��
[/quote]

The same thing happened to me a few years ago
I was after a vintage Jazz sound, for a band I'm in
I didn't particularly like Jazz basses, or even Fenders for that matter

However, I now love the Jazz tone, sound, feel, comfort & look
Nothing else is quite like it IMO....
Welcome to the world of Jazz Converts :)

Yes, go on a Jaco bender as Elias Mooseblaster says
There's nothing wrong with trying to incorporate sounds, styles & "licks" or riffs that other players use
However, listen to other players in the meantime too
and do what feels right for you

Enjoy your Jazz
.... and post some piccies when it arrives :)

Because of your evil and bad bad advice..I've just pulled the trigger on my very first jazz bass (after 40 years of playing)...
Mr Discreet didn't help at all with that review of his bass. I've just gone and bought an identical one to his from the German company...
[/quote]

Glad to be of service, and happy birthday! :D Seriously, I'm sure you will get on with the bass. Enjoy.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1427904031' post='2735722']

Glad to be of service, and happy birthday! :D Seriously, I'm sure you will get on with the bass. Enjoy.
[/quote]

Thanks Discreet..I'm really looking forward to giving the bass a damn good hiding!

[/quote]If you wanted to be talked out of it, you came to the wrong place. BC exists almost solely to live vicariously through others' GAS. Encouragement of said syndrome is our (not so) passive/aggressive way of getting our fix :D

Enjoy your purchase and let us know how you get on.

You've forgotten about the inevitable GAS.
You will enjoy the Jazz. Then at some point something else will catch your eye or ear.

As for Jaco, if only it was that easy to sound like him!!! I should coco :lol:

Concerning Jaco, The Himalaya, i understand your thoughts. Of course he almost "resume" this bass, as John Coltrane did with the Tenor sax.
Above all, Jaco created a Style, or Spirit. Pino Palladino extended this Heritage with a... Stingray, Mick Karn with a...Wal, Jean-Marc Jafet with an... Ibanez :)

So unless you try to clone Jaco's playing, i think that there are various manners to find a personnal way with a JB : touching differently the strings, using flats or mixing the 2 pick-ups, etc... You will find cause you are an artist.

Surrender to the perfection of a Jazz Bass :D
Its Design : simplicity, ergonomy, various colors beauty, elegance...
I used to own 6 JB at the same time, i am an addicted, in love with this thin neck and asymetric body :)

This woman Meshell Ndegeocello, great Artist, shows how to have a personnal voice with its flatwounds geared Jazz Bass. She lighted my way and point of view in 1993.
Sound, Groove, Charism, Freedom
http://youtu.be/uSJxP3Cy9qc

Edited by Emanew

[quote name='Emanew' timestamp='1427920857' post='2735983']
Concerning Jaco, The Himalaya, i understand your thoughts. Of course he almost "resume" this bass, as John Coltrane did with the Tenor sax.
Above all, Jaco created a Style, or Spirit. Pino Palladino extended this Heritage with a... Stingray, Mick Karn with a...Wal, Jean-Marc Jafet with an... Ibanez :)

So unless you try to clone Jaco's playing, i think that there are various manners to find a personnal way with a JB : touching differently the strings, using flats or mixing the 2 pick-ups, etc... You will find cause you are an artist.

Surrender to the perfection of a Jazz Bass :D
Its Design : simplicity, ergonomy, various colors beauty, elegance...
I used to own 6 JB at the same time, i am an addicted, in love with this thin neck and asymetric body :)

This woman Meshell Ndegeocello, great Artist, shows how to have a personnal voice with its flatwounds geared Jazz Bass. She lighted my way and point of view in 1993.
Sound, Groove, Charism, Freedom
http://youtu.be/uSJxP3Cy9qc
[/quote]

Thanks.
You make some great points.
I've never heard this lady play before...she's great...I love the music too...thanks for that.