Why become a member? ×

the one we sold and now regret

greyparrot

There are a couple of real heartbreakers in there :)

I have always traded and sold instruments to get to something I felt was "my instrument" so rarely have I regretted selling but there are two in particular.

My second bass was an Squier Silver Series Jazz Bass in dark red and it was lovely. I always wanted a jazz bass and was so happy when that came home with me. A few years later I got all snobby and wanted Fender written on the headstock of my bass so I traded it in for £100......sorry it still hurts.

I traded it in for a Fender Precision, sonic blue with maple neck and board and that was angelic to play. Unfortunately at the same time I had an Ibanez ATK which sounded so much better and more versatile so a couple of years later I tried to sell the Pbass and no-one wanted it. It was mint but the fashion was for warwicks and Ibanez basses (damb you Nu-Metal), I swapped it for a £400 acoustic guitar.

I love my acoustic and use it all the time for song writing so that is fine, but I really wish I had not let those two go, both were stunning to play. Ah well I only play a 5 string now so I suppose it worked out for the best..... :huh:

[quote name='Doc B' post='265206' date='Aug 19 2008, 08:38 AM']I've not sold anything I really regret but I am trying to decide whether to part with my Warwick Streamer Std4[/quote]

Talking from experience I wouldn't do that right now, keep on to it!!

[quote name='Machines' post='265208' date='Aug 19 2008, 08:41 AM']Spector Q6 Pro.. (2nd from left)[/quote]

Damn that's a nice looking bass!!

I sort of miss the Satellite P Bass I started on. I changed the pickup for a DiMarzio, and it sounded great but the neck was like a bargepole, so I let it go. My sister has now had it for the last 16 years and has still not changed the strings. Sounds quite Jameson now! (I think I'll phone her to see if she's still using it).

Guest Mike Prince

I miss my old and very first Status kingbass Artist. It had it all. LEDs front and side, thru neck, bendwell, gold hardware, BUT had to sell it as I wasnt too comfortable with the 19mm spacing. Now I have a quilted maple one with LEDs, Bendwell and the 16.mm spacing, which is so smooth and easier to play.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='265211' date='Aug 19 2008, 08:44 AM']Not trying to hijack the thread, but this [i]was [/i]fretless for a while. The original board hadn't adhered properly to the aluminium in a couple of spots, so I had an ebony board put on (and a BadAss bridge) by a luthier based in Kingston (he was a British Airways engineer and made baroque instruments in his spare time. Let's just say he knew glue!). It was later refretted by Dick Knight.

It was a beauty, would be worth a small fortune now.
P[/quote]
Again, not trying to hijack this thread, but what was your impressions of the bass otherwise? Seem to have a warmer, woodier sound than a Kramer. Lovely basses!
I'd liked to have met your luthier - I also play the lute (badly)

[quote name='Shaggy' post='265329' date='Aug 19 2008, 11:26 AM']Again, not trying to hijack this thread, but what was your impressions of the bass otherwise? Seem to have a warmer, woodier sound than a Kramer. Lovely basses!
I'd liked to have met your luthier - I also play the lute (badly)[/quote]

You know the weirdest thing about the TB is understandably my overriding memory of how heavy it was.

It looked beautiful and was incredibly stable, never went out of tune, infinite sustain (which was good, but when you're playing a lot of notes each bar, sustain doesn't come into it!).

The pickups weren't very adjustable; there were allen bolts through the back of the body, but they pretty much did nothing other than anchor the pickups/body/neck together. The original bridge was pretty chunky/clunky and I put a BadAss on when the guy changed the fingerboard. Prior to the bridge change, the bass had through-the-body-stringing. The holes never quite matched up, so if you had a tendancy (like most poor musicians) to boil up your strings, it was terrible trying to re-string it with used strings.

I have no recordings or anything that I know of. Sure I remember it sounded OK at the time, but nothing special. I've mentioned here a few times that I've always been looking for a Rickenbacker type clank and I never got anywhere close to that. Soundwise I would say (from memory) that I sounded more like a phat version of Peter Swivel (of US 70s metaller Starz) rather than say, Mick Karn.

Given the choice, would I get another one? Yes, but only for the novelty of having one. There are dozens and dozens of better basses for the money. If I did try and find one, I would probably go for one of the later models - perhaps serial numbers 400 or above - Travis Bean altered the body shape slightly - the wings were wider and they just looked aesthetically nicer - or if one came up, maybe one of the dozen new prototypes that were made about five years ago, which are [i]incredibly[/i] saucy.

If you're looking for a Bean, there's the Travis Bean resource site - google it. There's classifieds, a forum etc. There's also tone of photos!

Hope this helps.
P

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='Jase' post='265122' date='Aug 19 2008, 12:23 AM']Nooooo, not this again! Mine was a 76 possibly 78 P bass with a 57 maple neck. :) I regret that so much, it gets me down.[/quote]

+1 on a 76 Precision.

Battered as fck, a great looker and a great player. Picked it up for a bargain at the music store I was then working at.

STUPIDLY (notice the CAPS), I got rid of it later as I was playing stuff which didn't suit it. Lo and behold, I join a rock covers band a couple of months later and it's EXACTLY the bass I needed for the stuff I was doing! DOH.

[attachment=12427:Full_Body.JPG][attachment=12428:P_Bass_Full.JPG][attachment=12426:Front_of_Headsto
ck.JPG]

T

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='265200' date='Aug 19 2008, 08:24 AM']But, right now, I'm really missing the Tony Franklin I had for about 5 days and sold by accident:

[/quote]
If you don't mind me asking... how did you sell it by accident?

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='265411' date='Aug 19 2008, 12:41 PM']i think it was about a '92 MM stingray 2 band, natural with maple fret and neck, really nice, had the old style bridge with mutes. loved that bass but had to sell it and my practice amp and only got £300 for both, in a word....gutted[/quote]
:) how did you only manage £300 for that?

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='budget bassist' post='265601' date='Aug 19 2008, 03:49 PM']:) how did you only manage £300 for that?[/quote]

yeah i know, i was broke, we hadn't long had our first baby, we needed food, my freelance work had dried up (more on that in a min) so our only option was to sell something, obviously we didnt have much to see of worth and that was the only thing. we needed the money fast so i took it down to the local guitar shop and they would only give me that much, i knew it was worth more but had NO option but to take what he offered.
on the freelance thing if we could have waited about 3 days i wouldnt have had to sell the bass, sh*t happens. really want another one as its probably the best bass i've ever played, though i'm never likely to be able to afford one again. (paid £700 for it second hand and it was absolutely mint)

sniff

a minutes silence please.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='265601' date='Aug 19 2008, 03:49 PM']If you don't mind me asking... how did you sell it by accident?

:huh: how did you only manage £300 for that?[/quote]

Well...

It was kind-of by accident.

I bought it. It arrived. It was fab.

But MY GOD it was shiny. Very shiny. And I have a lovely fretless '71.

So... I stuck it on eBay with a BIN, and went straight out to a gig with it.

It sounded bloody GREAT. 'I'm keeping this,' I thought. 'I'll pull it from ebay when I get home.'

Checked my email at half-time... some (lucky) bugger had hit the BIN.

:)

Great bass.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='265614' date='Aug 19 2008, 04:05 PM']Well...

It was kind-of by accident.

I bought it. It arrived. It was fab.

But MY GOD it was shiny. Very shiny. And I have a lovely fretless '71.

So... I stuck it on eBay with a BIN, and went straight out to a gig with it.

It sounded bloody GREAT. 'I'm keeping this,' I thought. 'I'll pull it from ebay when I get home.'

Checked my email at half-time... some (lucky) bugger had hit the BIN.

:)

Great bass.[/quote]

Easily done and a good lesson to us all... unfortunately at some point we'll all [b]still[/b] sell something that we don't 'really' want to :huh:

There's not really a bass I feel sorry about selling but I wish I'd held onto my Fender Rumble combo. I sold it when it was only about a year old in perfect nick (with a custom made cover) because I was lusting after a head and cab I'd seen. I got a good price for it but it was a great for rehearsals - should have kept the flipping thing!

Ibanez Soundgear Fretless - my first bass
Fender Mike Dirnt Precision - loved playing it, sounded great, but it was just so damn heavy!
Spector Legend - Beautiful bass, fantastic neck, just didn't suit my plec style.
Fender mid-80s Jap Jazz - should have stuck it in the wardrobe til I could afford the refret.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='265614' date='Aug 19 2008, 04:05 PM']It sounded bloody GREAT. 'I'm keeping this,' I thought. 'I'll pull it from ebay when I get home.'

Checked my email at half-time... some (lucky) bugger had hit the BIN.[/quote]

I would have put up with the negative feedback if it was that good..

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='265533' date='Aug 19 2008, 02:23 PM']You know the weirdest thing about the TB is understandably my overriding memory of how heavy it was.

It looked beautiful and was incredibly stable, never went out of tune, infinite sustain (which was good, but when you're playing a lot of notes each bar, sustain doesn't come into it!).

The pickups weren't very adjustable; there were allen bolts through the back of the body, but they pretty much did nothing other than anchor the pickups/body/neck together. The original bridge was pretty chunky/clunky and I put a BadAss on when the guy changed the fingerboard. Prior to the bridge change, the bass had through-the-body-stringing. The holes never quite matched up, so if you had a tendancy (like most poor musicians) to boil up your strings, it was terrible trying to re-string it with used strings.

I have no recordings or anything that I know of. Sure I remember it sounded OK at the time, but nothing special. I've mentioned here a few times that I've always been looking for a Rickenbacker type clank and I never got anywhere close to that. Soundwise I would say (from memory) that I sounded more like a phat version of Peter Swivel (of US 70s metaller Starz) rather than say, Mick Karn.

Given the choice, would I get another one? Yes, but only for the novelty of having one. There are dozens and dozens of better basses for the money. If I did try and find one, I would probably go for one of the later models - perhaps serial numbers 400 or above - Travis Bean altered the body shape slightly - the wings were wider and they just looked aesthetically nicer - or if one came up, maybe one of the dozen new prototypes that were made about five years ago, which are [i]incredibly[/i] saucy.

If you're looking for a Bean, there's the Travis Bean resource site - google it. There's classifieds, a forum etc. There's also tone of photos!

Hope this helps.
P[/quote]
Thanks - always really useful to hear from an actual owner/ex-owner. Haven't put me off, I still want one!

I regret selling my usa s1 jazz black on maple, slickest playing jazz I ever had, true regret letting that one go, I regret letting my corvette standard go aswell, out of all the basses I played live she got the most compliments on her live sound, I also regret letting go of my spector rebop, best playing neck on any bass, ever.

I've mainly traded and p-ex'd to get where I am now (apart from having saved for custom orders!), but there are two... My original Status SII I do miss because it was with me for 16 years, but I did recently get a chance to buy it back and missed out due to financial reasons. Strangely I don't feel guilty or sad about that as I know my current new S2-Classic is a far superior bass.

The other one surprises me... I've sold every jazz I've owned (including a beautiful Marcus Miller this week), but I had to sell this one to help finance my beautiful Cocobolo/Cherry 1990 Status. The Candy Cola S1 was the only jazz I've ever liked & had it not been for the S2, I'd still have it now.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz