Why become a member? ×

The bass cellar - denmark street

budget bassist

[quote name='ezbass' post='613073' date='Sep 30 2009, 04:11 PM']Had a day off today and so decided to drive the hour to Brighton to visit GAK. Now I haven't been there for nearly 10 years back when I was playing guitar, so wasn't sure what to expect on the bass front at all. OMG what a great time, Mark at the shop was super helpful and let me try anything I wanted (even though he knew that I wasn't spending any money today) in a room on my own. Guess what? When I come buy my new bass (oh yes there is definitely a new one in the offing, I wasn't just taking the mickey) GAK are going to be right at the fore of my places to buy from. How hard was it to give decent service? Not hard at all, just a pleasant word and attitude and a willingness to help. Bass Cellar, if you're reading this thread at all and you should be, this is how it's done.[/quote]
+1 on GAK, I've never found Mark anything but friendly and helpful.

I was driving past PMT in Leeds today so decided to call in, having not visited it since it was Sound Control.
Quite a lot of Bass stock including many Sandbergs and some Lodestones, (both the cheap and more expensive ones) as well as the more usual culprits.
What struck me was apart from being greeted as I walked in, no-one came up to me when I was looking at all the Sandbergs. Must have been in the shop 20 mins and it wasn't until on my way out when I asked if I could have a free cleaning cloth stacked on a table at the exit that
this guy had to go and check if it was OK.
I like to think I meet the profile/demographic of someone who could buy anything in the shop by flashing the plastic so was somewhat surprised to be left so alone.
This is not a criticism of PMT, just an observation.
Mind had to laugh at the 5 String Variax ticketed at £899!

[quote name='silddx' post='609136' date='Sep 26 2009, 11:50 AM']I really wouldn't trust their after sales service either, if they have any, which is one thing they could offer to get one over on the internet sellers.[/quote]
in my ignorance i got my first bass there, which came with a year warranty. needed a small repair on a pickup done, so took it back to them. came back with the head of one screw completely mangled so i can't adjust the height of that pickup. not impressive.

Edit: I have a feeling i've already told that story in a similar thread, if not this one. oh well.

Edited by Zach

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='608909' date='Sep 26 2009, 12:23 AM']If this is the same guy - [url="http://www.hotroxuk.com/"]http://www.hotroxuk.com/[/url] - then I've had good experiences buying online.[/quote]

+1 for www.hotroxuk.com - always good.

[quote name='silddx' post='609136' date='Sep 26 2009, 11:50 AM']Why can't they get a bloody web site sorted too?[/quote]

For a site to be worthwhile they'd need to keep it updated regularly as stock moves and they would have to include prices. Not sure if their staff would be up to doing that, but the last time I was in there they didn't even have price tickets on the basses hanging up.

Its probably about 'return on investment'. Having a professional web site probably won't affect the number of walk-ins from people who visit Denmark Street to trawl the guitar shops. If they were interested in doing mail order they'd probably be doing it already.

[quote name='ped' post='615529' date='Oct 3 2009, 10:12 AM']I am in London this weekend so I might pop in today 'undercover' and see what happens....

Cheers
ped[/quote]
If I were you I wouldn't. they've got an A4 page with your face on it and 'WANTED - dead or alive' below it. You walk in there and you're a dead man. haah

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='615599' date='Oct 3 2009, 11:33 AM']For a site to be worthwhile they'd need to keep it updated regularly as stock moves and they would have to include prices. Not sure if their staff would be up to doing that, but the last time I was in there they didn't even have price tickets on the basses hanging up.

Its probably about 'return on investment'. Having a professional web site probably won't affect the number of walk-ins from people who visit Denmark Street to trawl the guitar shops. If they were interested in doing mail order they'd probably be doing it already.[/quote]

But you don't need a full-blown e-commerce site! I've often thought this, a simple website with contact info, perhaps some blurb about the staff, what services are on offer, what manufacturers they deal with etc etc etc is still worth 100x more than nothing at all.

The sort of site I mentioned above is very cheap to build, can still look professional and won't cost the earth to host.

To not have a website presence at all (and I'm not talking about Bass Cellar here in particular) smacks of two things to me:

1). Total luddite owners that don't understand the value of the web
or
2). Arrogant owners who consider it a waste of time and "Don't want the hassle" of online enquiries.

Cheers,
James

[quote name='iamapirate' post='615827' date='Oct 3 2009, 04:32 PM']If I were you I wouldn't. they've got an A4 page with your face on it and 'WANTED - dead or alive' below it. You walk in there and you're a dead man. haah[/quote]

Well I don't know if they read my post and were on high alert but I went in today with a lady and they said hello, asked if I needed any help and were all quite friendly! I didn't play anything though - if I had they would have rightly sent me straight out.

ped

[quote name='ped' post='615956' date='Oct 3 2009, 05:59 PM']Well I don't know if they read my post and were on high alert but I went in today with a lady and they said hello, asked if I needed any help and were all quite friendly! I didn't play anything though - if I had they would have rightly sent me straight out.

ped[/quote]why?

[quote name='Moos3h' post='615848' date='Oct 3 2009, 04:58 PM']But you don't need a full-blown e-commerce site! I've often thought this, a simple website with contact info, perhaps some blurb about the staff, what services are on offer, what manufacturers they deal with etc etc etc is still worth 100x more than nothing at all.

The sort of site I mentioned above is very cheap to build, can still look professional and won't cost the earth to host.

To not have a website presence at all (and I'm not talking about Bass Cellar here in particular) smacks of two things to me:

1). Total luddite owners that don't understand the value of the web
or
2). Arrogant owners who consider it a waste of time and "Don't want the hassle" of online enquiries.

Cheers,
James[/quote]
I agree totally. I think they haven't really considered the possibilities. If they get something static built it would go out of date very quickly and being content-free it wouldn't encourage repeat visits. I could build something simple in a day or two, but if no one ever updated it, it would go out of date within a few months & won't have any real value. If I recall correctly there have been at least two bass cellar sites like this in the past.

What might work better for a shop like that would be to build a website with the usual contact details & 'about us' info etc, but also a prominent blog area with comments enabled where the staff can write bass related articles, reviews of amps, fx & basses, post their latest mp3s, youtubes vids, pics of famous people that wander into the shop, drummer jokes and anything else that pops into their heads. I could build that fairly quickly & write an easy to follow numpty-proof manual, but it would cost more more than a simple static site, but on going costs would be minimal. The main benefit of such a site would be that if all the staff knew how to publish a blog post, then they would also know how to edit the static pages, so it wouldn't go out of date.

• 1 year later...

It seems this thread is the second result if you google 'bass cellar', so I thought it might be nice for us to update our opinions. Haven't been in there for a few years myself, but has anyone found an improvement in customer service?

I've been in several times recently. As mentioned on one of my earlier posts, the layout of the shop is now MUCH better and easier to get around, while also being lighter and somehow friendlier.

The staff are polite and leave you alone until you ask.

In truth, if it wasn't for the ... erm ... history of that shop, no one would think there was anything uusual about The Bass Cellar.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1230796' date='May 14 2011, 10:56 AM']I've been in several times recently. As mentioned on one of my earlier posts, the layout of the shop is now MUCH better and easier to get around, while also being lighter and somehow friendlier.

The staff are polite and leave you alone until you ask.

In truth, if it wasn't for the ... erm ... history of that shop, no one would think there was anything uusual about The Bass Cellar.[/quote]

Right now, as far as I'm concerned, the only place to buy a bass is The Bass Gallery! Their basses are top and the guys are a pleasure to deal with!

The Bass Cellar is a dump designed for tourists.

The Bass Centre WAS the best place in the world. Great people and great basses. I found the last few times I went there I was treated like sh*t and even told them to f*** off at one point! I was so sad because when I first fell in love with basses I used to make the trip up to London and to Wapping and spend hours there, trying stuff and chatting to the guys!

Ho hum, we can all thank the Internet for their demise!

I'm sure there are other great dealers out there who actually 'give a poop' but for me, Alex at the Bass Gallery is everything I need!

Someone earlier in the thread said "If the Bass Cellar was on fire I wouldn't take my trousers down...!" I would, but it would be to dump on the place as it burned!!

:)

I was in Bass Cellar a few weeks ago and witnessed one of the sales staff asking a customer if he was actually going to buy anything before getting the bass he'd asked to try from the window display (this was after the customer having to point it out to him because he didn't have a clue which bass the customer was talking about) . I walked straight out. I never go in that shop if I'm down that way now.

[quote name='D-L-B' post='1236820' date='May 19 2011, 12:14 PM']I was in Bass Cellar a few weeks ago and witnessed one of the sales staff asking a customer if he was actually going to buy anything before getting the bass he'd asked to try from the window display (this was after the customer having to point it out to him because he didn't have a clue which bass the customer was talking about) . I walked straight out. I never go in that shop if I'm down that way now.[/quote]

I had a similar experience in Electro, Doncaster. Probably wont buy from them again.

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='264466' date='Aug 18 2008, 12:26 PM']they tried flogging me some sh*te £15 rotos or something[/quote]

Horses for courses mate... there's nothing sh*te about Roto's. I have tried DR's, Ernie's, La Bella's, all sorts. Didn't like any of them, been using Roto's since then.

I lived in London for 3 years from 87' to 90' and used to visit all the Denmark Street shops on a regular basis , and unless you are Keef or Sting or some other up and coming band with a fat advance cheque from the record companies , you were generally treated with the same indifference and bad manners and ignorance in all the shops ( most are owned by the same parent company , anyway ) . It is still the same today , but my favourite target is V+R where I can get a real good laugh at the prices they charge , and makes me feel like Bill Gates if I apply their values to my own collection .
Most of my great bargain basses ( including the 63 P Bass ) have been bought locally here on the Isle of Wight .
Many thanks to Ian at Strings Music shop in Ryde. ( shameless plug )

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[quote name='SlackAlice' post='1321300' date='Jul 30 2011, 01:52 PM']Currently having a few beers in Soho & will pop down to Denmark St. later.......will have a browse & see how there 'customer service' fairs......:;

Angie[/quote]

Angie are you going to go for the quiet and subtle and 'knowledgable' approach?

or maybe instead try the over-keen inexperienced amateur approach with something like 'im thinking doing my hair purple and spiky for my new band and wondered if you had a bass that would go nicely with it .... AND keep a straight face

oh and let us know the response :)