Why become a member? ×

The bass cellar - denmark street

budget bassist

I bought my first cab from Wunjo guitars, a great shop! D'you know what they gave me to try out the cab? A 1975 Jazz bass, I think there motto or catchphrase was "try anything we're not precious" I also remember trying out a MM in the bass centre ages when I was a beginner and they were cool, the shop across the street from bass cellar called vintage and rare guitars and I would have thought they'd be quite precious what with a £5000 bass or whatever on the wall but they're cool too. I think you just have to ignore the dicks out there and just get on with it, its what you get when guitarists run bass stores :)

[quote name='mathewsanchez' post='264461' date='Aug 18 2008, 12:20 PM']I've had a similar experience at the Bass Cellar, the people were a bit touchy about trying out the basses and were constantly keeping an eye on me. It's a shame the customer care was so poor because their stoock was actually very good.

However on the same day I visited about 20 other music shops in London (...I know) and generally people were really nice. In one shop, I think it was Wunjo Guitars, as soon as I looked at an old 60s jazz bass, the guy asked me if I wanted to try it out and what I wanted to plug it into. I ended up playing that bass for about 20 minutes and then I moved onto playing a old ric (they didn't stock EBMM). The weird thing is, a few minutes later a guy came in and bought both basses while I was still playing them. Each bass was priced around £2000 so can't have been short of cash to buy £4000 worth of basses without even trying them. Anyway i'd recommend Wunjo Guitars.

As far as I can recall, Bass Centre was pretty cool too, happy for you to try out anything at your leisure. There was a couple of other shops with really good service but I can't remember the names. Sadly the Bass Cellar was probably one least friendly shops I visited that day.[/quote]

[quote name='Reverend' post='542562' date='Jul 16 2009, 08:09 PM']I was interested in trying out a compressor they had on display. The guys asked me what I normally played, I said a Jazz Bass, and expected to be handed the usual Squier starter bass to try it with, but was astonished when I was handed a beautiful Celinder instrument to play through a great EBS combo. Just to try out a compressor. Sounded absolutely amazing. That's the thing, if you want people to buy your amps/pedals etc, give them something that's going to make it sound great.[/quote]

Never mind that, bet you went home going "I really, really want a Celinder". It's just sensible "selling up".

The friendliest music shop I've been in lately is definitely Promenade Music in Morecambe. I'm lucky in visiting Colchester about once a month and The Bass Merchant is brilliant too.

Selling things and establishing good customer relations isn't rocket science. Maybe the management in the Bass Cellar is dire and this is reflected by the staff?

One point that Pete A made about letting anyone come in and play an instrument and then having people who don't respect expensive gear come in and make it 2nd hand fairly rapidly.

I'm not sure how you tackle this one effectively.

I had 3 very different experiences with Bass Shops in London

Bass Cellar is the worst by far.
I walked in there asked to try the F1 and then asked him to match Bass Centre, and Andertons that were selling it almost £80 cheaper. He goes on about the stock thing and that all of those would be sold by the end of the week and that it was already too cheap. Of course I rang Andertons that day and received the Mark Bass the day after.

Bass Centre, when I was shopping for a decent bass I wlaked into Bass Centre and tried about 10-15 basses in one afternoon. The guy at the shop was as helpful as he could be. I fell in love with a Spector he had there, but I wanted it new, and a 5 string, the used one was a 4 strings. So he tells me to go to oxford st and try sound control as they are the stockist for Spector, I did that and bought my Spector that afternoon. I will always be gratefull to that guy.

Bass Gallery, I bought my Acme from there as well as my T-bass, both used stock, Alex is always helpful, doesn't presure you and replies to my emails within hours. It's always a pleasure to deal with.
Even if they don't always have the cheapest prices they do have a great custom service.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='553229' date='Jul 27 2009, 09:23 PM']I'm lucky in visiting Colchester about once a month and The Bass Merchant is brilliant too.[/quote]

+1 :)

Went there for the first time on Saturday to try out some new heads - staff were really helpful, service was great (bearing in mind that it was a Saturday and full of kids trying their best Slash impressions on Guitard Hero) - needless to say got my shiny new Gallien Krueger.

No experience of London bass shops - not sure it's worth the hassle, Colchester's only an hour away from home

One happy Bottle

[quote name='Bottle' post='553669' date='Jul 28 2009, 10:55 AM']+1 :)

Went there for the first time on Saturday to try out some new heads - staff were really helpful, service was great (bearing in mind that it was a Saturday and full of kids trying their best Slash impressions on Guitard Hero) - needless to say got my shiny new Gallien Krueger.

No experience of London bass shops - not sure it's worth the hassle, Colchester's only an hour away from home

One happy Bottle[/quote]

+ 1 - Bass Merchant are great. Darren and co have great prices and make you feel relaxed!

Years ago I was asked by a guy (I believe his name was Hamid) in the "if I had 'Status' money?" when I wanted to try one out. "as if I carry that sort of money in my jeans in central London..." was the reply from myself.
They also had this uncanny knack of putting the bass you wanted to check out through a rig which was eq'd to sound impressive and would do the standard territorial pissing slap licks. Hilarious really.

I took my trade to The Bass Centre who have been superb service to me for 15 years now.

And they used to make a mean cuppa.

Some scary stories here guys!

I really want to take a trip down to the Gallery when I next need a bass. Never really heard much of the Bass Cellar, but doesn't really inspire me now!

Have ordered from the Bass Centre before and they do mean well. Just the annoying sales thing where they say something is in stock and ready to ship, you order it, you get charged and you find out the day later that it wasn't actually in stock but is on order. Then you have to wait and wait and they never really get in touch to tell you when it will arrive. I waited almost 4 months for a combo that I was told was in stock when I ordered it.

Ordered a rack case from Bass Direct and got the same thing, but I just asked them to give me money back, which they actually did to their credit.

Luckily living in Glasgow, Guitar Guitar and CC Music are really good shops and the staff are usually very helpful and tend not to bullshit you or treat you like an idiot, unlike a certain other music shop in the city which I visited when I was younger. I recall this conversation:

Me: Can I try that Jazz bass (Standard US model at the time)?

Him: Only if you are serious about buying it.

Me: I travelled all the way from Orkney to buy a quality bass.

Him: Uuuurghh, you sure you are ready for a Fender?

Prick. I spend a whole day travelling in order to buy a quality bass, only to be told I shouldn't have bothered as I probably suck. That gave me a lot of motivation to spend money in that shop. Also, so what if I did suck? I would still have probably bought the thing and the store would have, you know, MADE MONEY!

I would never buy anything from Music Ground again. Bought a B302 from them in May, paid over the odds because I [i]really[/i] wanted one and it arrived broken. Got messed around trying to get them to fix it so decided to send it back for a refund instead, which I finally got last week after getting my Credit Card company to get the money back (sent the bass back in May!)

Was told the refund had been processed every time I rang, one time they even said they'd fax me the refund receipt (surprise surprise it never turned up)

Shame really because it was a nice bass and if it had been working I would have kept it and been happy!

• 2 weeks later...

I popped in today, and contrary to my previous experience and most posters, found the staff helpfull and polite. I didnt try anything cos there was nothing I fancied, but there were a couple of others in there trying things out with no problems.

There is a sign on the wall asking you to let staff gett them of the wall as they are hung very close together- fair enough but apart from that no problem.

Perhaps the penny has dropped

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='553229' date='Jul 27 2009, 09:23 PM']The friendliest music shop I've been in lately is definitely Promenade Music in Morecambe. I[/quote]

Gary at Promenade is as helpful as can be. Top bloke, and a lesson to many.

[quote name='bumnote' post='563824' date='Aug 8 2009, 09:53 PM']Perhaps the penny has dropped[/quote]

They have been in contact with us and are keen to improve their standing and reputation with Basschatters. I hope your positive post is a step in the right direction. Has anyone else had a positive experience there?

ped

[quote name='ped' post='563866' date='Aug 8 2009, 10:59 PM']They have been in contact with us and are keen to improve their standing and reputation with Basschatters. I hope your positive post is a step in the right direction. Has anyone else had a positive experience there?

ped[/quote]

they didn't fancy posting and trying to re-dress the balance?

I'm no expert in retail - no, really I'm not :) - but I would have thought letting potential (and former disgruntled) customers know things had changed, may be a good idea?

[quote name='4000' post='563849' date='Aug 8 2009, 10:40 PM']Gary at Promenade is as helpful as can be. Top bloke, and a lesson to many.[/quote]

MB1. :)
+Twelvety!
Promenade Music are great to deal with!....
Have previously bought two basses from Gary and wouldnt hesitate to purchase again.....Great customer Service!

The people in the Bass Cellar just don't appear to be interested in helping me beyond the very basic level. They seem disinterested, resigned to a miserable life in music retail. I've tried to have a conversation in there and I felt like I was imposing on their time, even though I was one of two customers in there and there were two staff and someone from another shop having a natter with one of them. The lack of enthusiasm was galling. Had to call them about their stock the other day, and while the guy was polite, he really didn't help me at all. Me "have you got one of these?", him "no sorry, sold our only one yesterday". Me, "anything similar?", him, "no, nothing similar". I would have expected the usual "we can order one for you" etc., but nothing. I felt undervalued as a potential customer. I had money to spend that day too.

I have just come back from Waitrose, and we had a great time in there as usual. Had a great laugh with the woman on the till, one of the guys in the alky section was incredibly helpful, all really cheery, happy people. Most retailers could learn so much from a trip to Waitrose or John Lewis. Their attitude to customer service is pretty perfect. Then go to Tesco, dirty checkouts in bad repair, unhelpful stressed out staff, miserable looking customers who can't wait to get the hell out.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='thodrik' post='554624' date='Jul 28 2009, 11:45 PM']Luckily living in Glasgow, Guitar Guitar and CC Music are really good shops and the staff are usually very helpful and tend not to bullshit you or treat you like an idiot, unlike a certain other music shop in the city which I visited when I was younger.[/quote]

I know exactly what you mean about al of the above. Guitar Guitar is now my first choice of music shop, I've bought 2 basses and an Eden Nemesis Combo in there. I also got my Boss Micro BR in there too.

[quote name='ped' post='563866' date='Aug 8 2009, 10:59 PM']They have been in contact with us and are keen to improve their standing and reputation with Basschatters. I hope your positive post is a step in the right direction. Has anyone else had a positive experience there?

ped[/quote]
Interesting, hopefully that's the case, this thread being the first result when you google their name!

Edited by budget bassist

I was just speaking to a friend of mine about this today. He's got a bit of cash to burn and often pops into the bass shops in London for a quick snoop when he is down there. As soon as I mentioned the Bass Cellar he seemed to sour slightly, and told me he'd been there before but was quickly put off by the fact that the staff didn't seem interested in entertaining him as a customer. And he's a bloke of nearly 40 with a smart look, basically a walking wallet, if they took the time to talk to him.

But he likes good customer service, and obviously felt that this lot, who seemed "bored and disinterested" and seemed unwilling to engage in conversation, were not worth his timr or money. I really must go there to see this for myself.

Edited by Chris2112

[quote name='Chris2112' post='565308' date='Aug 10 2009, 07:46 PM']I was just speaking to a friend of mine about this today. He's got a bit of cash to burn and often pops into the bass shops in London for a quick snoop when he is down there. As soon as I mentioned the Bass Cellar he seemed to sour slightly, and told me he'd been there before but was quickly put off by the fact that the staff didn't seem interested in entertaining him as a customer. And he's a bloke of nearly 40 with a smart look, basically a walking wallet, if they took the time to talk to him.

But he likes good customer service, and obviously felt that this lot, who seemed "bored and disinterested" and seemed unwilling to engage in conversation, were not worth his timr or money. I really must go there to see this for myself.[/quote]

I've read this thread with horror, mainly because it's been bloody years since I've been into a bricks & mortar guitar shop, and can remember the good old days of Musical Exchanges in Brum. When we were spotty teenagers, myself and my best mate used to get the bus into Birmingham, walk across town to M.E. and literally spend 5 or 6 hours in there, just trying different stuff out (me basses, him guitars). I always used to drool over a Jetglo Ric 4001 in there, and it got to the stage where the staff used to laugh and say "your Ric is at the end of the rack, Mark, ready for you" when we walked in. To cut a long story short, come our 17th birthdays, we both walked in. Mate bought a brand new Strat & Peavy amp, and I bought a Jetglo Ric. We'd saved for the best part of 12 months to raise the money to buy those guitars. Had we been badly treated, or told we couldn't try the instruments out, there's no way we'd have bought from them...

On the positive side, I was in the market for a new strap, and called Bass Direct in Warwick. Ended up chatting away for 45 minutes to the owner (?) (really nice chap called Mark), about the stock in the shop, their amps, and music in general. He couldn't have been more helpful, to the extent of inviting me down on a Saturday (when they're normally shut) to check the place out. That's the kind of place I'll definitely be shopping at in future. Oh, and the strap and strap locks I ordered at 2PM last Friday arrived on the doorstep on Saturday morning - excellent service.