Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz Streamliner.

piffle

Hi guys,
For sometime i have been looking for a GB streamliner head. Sadly i haven't been able to find one (except at a hugely inflated price).
So my question is .. what thoughts people may have as to a similar sounding alternative thats as simple to use. I play a Warwick streamer II
currently using a 1980's Trace Elliot AH500, with a shiny new Barefaced BT2.

cheers folks

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1425577039' post='2708785']
Well seeing as Fender recently bought out Genz, maybe their Rumble amps are worth having a look at?
[/quote]
I had a Streamliner Lozz and think it doesn't sound anything like my rumble v3.. not sure if it's just down to the cabinets?

Well I`ve no experience of the Streamliner, but it seems people are saying the Aguilar Tonehammer has a similar sound. Must admit, it`s a very old-school sounding amp, very Ampeg like maybe a bit more modern sounding, though not shrill or hi-fi at all. Works great with a Barefaced Super 12T.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1425587838' post='2708930']
Sounds like people are holding onto their Genz heads then, what a daft situation that you can't just buy them new!
[/quote]

I've got a shuttle 9.2 and the Streamliner 900 and they are brilliant. Sometimes I think about off loading one, but then I come to my senses!

I had a GB Streamliner 600, which I liked a lot. I liked the warmth of the valve preamp but found it hard to adjust on the fly - in my covers band I need to hop from fairly clean to driven - and the 'double gain' set up of the controls makes this difficult to achieve without huge volume swings. I could have done the od with a pedal, of course, but for me that kind of defeats the object and overly complicates matters. In the end I chose my TC Electronic Classic 450 over it because I found the controls easier to use on the fly - if I want a more overdriven sound I dial in more Tubetone without having to adjust the volume each time. I wouldn't say it sounded the same as the GB but similar - similar enough to get away with, anyway. As a Valve-a-like effect the Tubetone isn't bad although perhaps lacking something of the true character of a valve preamp. I imagine the RH450/750 is even better for this with its presets.

I am curious about the GK MB 500 Fusion, I have to say.

I hear what you are saying, but it is not a large enough "backbone gap" to be an issue in most situations. I had a Mesa MPulse for many years as well as full Tube amps, they have something extra over the D Class heads, but also and for me more importantly have the extra weight. For me the difference was not big enough not to go D Class.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1425813229' post='2710876']
The Streamliner was the best of the micros I tried, but I still thought - in keeping with the others - that it lacked backbone.

The Walkabout gives me the tubey tone, and small-ish size, with the heft of a transformer. I've been happy since.
[/quote]

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1425892711' post='2711761']
I hear what you are saying, but it is not a large enough "backbone gap" to be an issue in most situations. I had a Mesa MPulse for many years as well as full Tube amps, they have something extra over the D Class heads, but also and for me more importantly have the extra weight. For me the difference was not big enough not to go D Class.
[/quote]

Yep, that's where the Walkabout comes into its own. It's not big, and it's not particularly heavy.

Class D will do volume well enough and I'll use one for that lightweight gig
but it wont get anywhere near the better gigs.
Interesting little aside, a mate wanted to borrow a rig for a 'name' playing local
and asked for favours from his bass playing mates. It was interesting what was
on the desired list and what definitely wouldn't make it.. No Class D and Neo, for
a start.

This suggestion may get something of a mixed reaction, but the new Bugera Veyron amps have a very similar feature set to the Streamliners, so might be worth having a look at. I've no idea what the quality is like or whether the sound is close, but if they're up to scratch they could be an option.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1425894211' post='2711791']
There are "names" out there using class D and Neo in amongst all the other choices that are available.

The differences between items of bass gear are subjective at best.
[/quote]

But do you see them on the 'best' gigs..?