Why become a member? ×

poor attitude from newbie & me

artisan

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1425501567' post='2708028']
Surely the easiest solution would be to include a *will sell to quickest payer* in a 'for sale' thread if you're picky about buyers taking too long to organise payment. That way, you know that the seller will sell to the first person that organises themselves and pays up quickest. That would stop people from feeling like they have a right to an item because they sent a message first.
[/quote]

Yes, this is great! Let's call it 'The Silly Bollocks Rule'.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1425508247' post='2708139']

Yes, this is great! Let's call it 'The Silly Bollocks Rule'.
[/quote]

Works for me! Or maybe the 'Only-on-basschat-are-we-daft-enough-to-need-this Rule'

One time a guy mailed me asking if he can come by and look at something I was selling - no confo he'd buy, just wanted to eyeball the merchandise. I said fine, when do you want to do it? No reply.

A week goes by, the guy mails me back saying can he swing by the following weekend? Too late, says I. Gone

Says he: 'I'm really disappointed by your actions which are incredibly unfair and my girlfriend agrees with me'. So I told him not to be a big f*cking cry-baby and to f*ck off and die and that's why I had to open a new Gumtree account.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1425507528' post='2708121']

Evidently not!

If he didn't give you a solid guarantee to buy it, and you hadn't confirmed that you would hold it for him, then it's a non issue. First come first served!

:)
[/quote]

This is a genuine question, not playing devils advocate. Is 'first come first served' just a way of buyers claiming stuff or is there an actual marketplace rule I've missed?

I've always thought that (when buying on basschat) the PM to the seller is just to register my intent to buy and its up to them if they want to sell it to me. I'd totally understand if they went for someone local (making the transaction quicker and easier for the buyer) who contacted them after me if it was an easier sell for them or they got offered more money etc, providing they were fair and informed me and/or gave me the chance to increase my offer/cover postage/make my offer as appealing to the seller as another buyer's offer.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1425509159' post='2708154']
Works for me! Or maybe the 'Only-on-basschat-are-we-daft-enough-to-need-this Rule'
[/quote]

Well perhaps if the same thing happens again, a mod could adjudicate and apply the Silly Bollocks Rule when necessary.
Or just post a for-sale thread in the usual way and end it with, 'Silly Bollocks Rule applies' or some such.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1425509455' post='2708157']
Says he: 'I'm really disappointed by your actions which are incredibly unfair and my girlfriend agrees with me'. So I told him not to be a big f*cking cry-baby and to f*ck off and die and that's why I had to open a new Gumtree account.
[/quote]

It's not like you to hold back and not be up front, Skank. Remarkably restrained. :huh:

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1425509455' post='2708157']
One time a guy mailed me asking if he can come by and look at something I was selling - no confo he'd buy, just wanted to eyeball the merchandise. I said fine, when do you want to do it? No reply.

A week goes by, the guy mails me back saying can he swing by the following weekend? Too late, says I. Gone

[/quote]

Exept, I did not die. And I have you're gumtree name.

So now I will going to put something for sale you rely rely want (probably my stupid girlfriend) and when you say you want to look at it, I will tell you it sold it, and that you are a silly silly bolocks and to f*** and die. No timwaster will be tolerateded.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1425510555' post='2708173']
Exept, I did not die. And I have you're gumtree name.[/quote]

My gumtree name (if there is such a thing) is randomjoebollocks53. PM me sometime and we can quote Swinburne to each other.

[i]And in other news...[/i]

This 'Will sell to quickest payer' thing could easily be misconstrued as seller's hyperbole similar to 'First to see will buy'. Throw in some stuff like 'drives superb', 'shabby chic' and 'plays like buttah' and there's every chance people might come round just to slap the seller in the chops. And rightly so.

It's funny, because I've been unloading all sorts of stuff on Gumtree recently. The non-musical stuff attracts pleasant, reliable people who pay the asking price, arrive on time and depart with the goods. The musical gear often pulls in drab, hopeless teen f**ktards who open with 'Knock of fifty quid M8 and I'll hav it' then get tearful when you say 'Thanks but no thanks'.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1425521538' post='2708233']...
The non-musical stuff attracts pleasant, reliable people...
The musical gear often pulls in drab, hopeless teen f**ktards...
[/quote]

I'd suggest selling the amps, basses, picks, stands, pedals and whatnot as 'non-musical' items. You may well sell less of 'em, I'll allow, but so much hassle side-stepped. :sleep:

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1425501567' post='2708028']
Surely the easiest solution would be to include a *will sell to quickest payer* in a 'for sale' thread if you're picky about buyers taking too long to organise payment. That way, you know that the seller will sell to the first person that organises themselves and pays up quickest.
[/quote]

I've seen similar rules implied in for sale posts before, 'first one with the cash' etc. Don't know how literally that's been meant.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1425509479' post='2708158']
This is a genuine question, not playing devils advocate. Is 'first come first served' just a way of buyers claiming stuff or is there an actual marketplace rule I've missed?

I've always thought that (when buying on basschat) the PM to the seller is just to register my intent to buy and its up to them if they want to sell it to me. I'd totally understand if they went for someone local (making the transaction quicker and easier for the buyer) who contacted them after me if it was an easier sell for them or they got offered more money etc, providing they were fair and informed me and/or gave me the chance to increase my offer/cover postage/make my offer as appealing to the seller as another buyer's offer.
[/quote]

In an ideal world you'd be spot-on. However, when personal loss creeps into the equation it all goes out the window. It all depends on the attractiveness of the deal.

If I advertise a common £1000 bass for £950 and I sell to the nearest buyer for ease (disregarding an earlier contact) The result would be a shrug and an "Oh well, I can understand that" from the loser.

If I advertise a rare £1000 bass for £250 and do the same, the unlucky loser then feels that I've run over his cat, slept with his mother and put the pics on Face book and eaten the last doughnut thus making me the second most evil man in London (Col Sebastian Moran for those not in the know) ;)

Edited by leschirons

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1425543646' post='2708293']
...the unlucky loser then feels that I've run over his cat, slept with his mother and put the pics on Face book and eaten the last doughnut...
[/quote]

Just to be clear, eating the last doughnut is TOTALLY unacceptable under ANY circumstances.

Another one of those 'wish I haven't started this thread' threads..

He offered to buy but still hadn't confirmed he was going to buy or pay..
so on what basis did you see fit to 'hold'..??

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1425545465' post='2708320']
Just to be clear, eating the last doughnut is TOTALLY unacceptable under ANY circumstances.
[/quote]

Surely [i]someone [/i]has to sacrifice themselves and go for it..? Or should one leave it to go moldy, then give it to the tweeny..? :unsure:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1425546915' post='2708349']
Surely [i]someone [/i]has to sacrifice themselves and go for it..? Or should one leave it to go moldy, then give it to the tweeny..? :unsure:
[/quote]

It's a moot point here, much as I love the place, the French fall a long way short of the mark when it comes to making a quality doughnut :huh:

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1425549559' post='2708389']
It's a moot point here, much as I love the place, the French fall a long way short of the mark when it comes to making a quality doughnut :huh:
[/quote]

In that case, the last doughnut is safe, as are the first and all the others. If no-one likes the darned things, no-one's going to nick the last 'un, are they..? I mean, it stands to rights, doesn't it..? :mellow:

If I pm'd someone expressing interest in an item they were selling then I'd expect the onus to be on me to:

a. Confirm that I wanted to buy it
b. Tell the seller when and how I was going to pay

Conversely, I lost out on a item I wanted recently when I agreed payment method and to meet up halfway between locations. The guy was slow in giving me bank transfer details and eventually after 3-4 days told me had sold it to someone who turned up at his house with cash and to quote him 'I couldn't resist that'. I was livid at not being given the opportunity to match those terms and for his slow responses. I could tell he'd been online from his profile so he was ignoring me.

We all know what a difficult market it is for sellers so I'd have to side with the OP on this one. I've bought 2 items from him in the past and they've both been great transactions.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1425546915' post='2708349']
[/quote]

Sorry, I should have been clearer: it's unacceptable for anyone ELSE to eat the last doughnut. Bloody rude if you ask me.