Why become a member? ×

poor attitude from newbie & me

artisan

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1426200866' post='2715729']
I listed some Markbass gear yesterday, it's all sold now but there were around 10 members who PM'd me saying they'd definitely buy one or more ietms, but despite having read the PM's I sent back asking them to confirm, didn't reply. I don't see why there's any onus on the seller to do anything but sell. You can't go into a shop and say 'keep that for me, I'll be back when I feel like it', so why expect to here?
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1426237578' post='2715877']
If I had received comms that made me want to hold the item, then I'd give the guy more than 3.5 hrs
before I looked around for someone else and taking it off 'hold'. I'd at least send a message saying I had other 'buyers'
and I'd only keep the item on hold for 24hrs if I didn't hear back in that time with proper details to advance the sale.
Then the onus would be on the buyer to comply...
3.5 hrs is a bit of an insult, IMO.
No wonder the newbie wasn't impressed.
I wouldn't expect buyers here to jerk you around... and the whole point of this place for sales is that it isn't the usual market place..??
[/quote]

It is a bit of a short time. I've always waited longer, sometimes holding something for over a week. But I'd do that for someone I believe in. If a regular I'm a bit familiar with asks me to hold something and I don't need the cash quickly, no problem. However, if I have someone without a "history", and makes me think he may not be all that serious, I'd be less likely to wait, especially if I have other offers. Yes, 3 hours is not a lot of time... But if the buyer really wants it all he had to say was express interest. One line. Thirty seconds is all it takes. The seller all he sees is someone who read his reply and chose not to acknowledge his message... If he wants to sell fast, I can see why he wouldn't wait. Don't you?
Everytime I've been really interested in something I made sure the seller knew it :) and that's even with people I may have exchanged PMs with and sort of knew me already.

It's nice that some people understand what I did so my thanks to you guys.
When someone PM's me expressing interest in an item I always put it on hold for them,as I operate on first come first served basis,then ask them to confirm they are definitely buying & how they want to pay.
if they have read the message but chose not to reply,which as mentioned above only takes a few seconds,then as far as I am concerned the next person in the queue gets a chance to buy.
if the first person is upset by this then boo boo to them,as is mentioned above as the seller all I want to do is sell,if the buyer really wants to buy they should get their finger out & buy.

Btw the item was a set of DB strings which would be £80 new,I sold them used but still good for £25 posted.

Edited by artisan

Perhaps not but sellers do try their best to do the best by others and sometimes, that includes more than one potential buyer! You know, I would assume the person who bought the strings told you instantly they wanted them and would pay instantly? Its that simple for communication, yeah I want them, I'll pay you 'x' later today when home.

Just had a deal go through with, I'm gonna name him, Billy Apple, I told him I wanted the case but wouldn't be down his neck of the woods for a week however, through great comms, trust and instant replies, the deal went off without a hitch. Cheers Billy :)

Edited by andy67

[quote name='andy67' timestamp='1426254539' post='2716209']
Just had a deal go through with, I'm gonna name him, Billy Apple, I told him I wanted the case but wouldn't be down his neck of the woods for a week however, through great comms, trust and instant replies, the deal went off without a hitch. Cheers Billy :)
[/quote]

That's the key - great comms. If you know what's going on then it's not an issue. It's when a potential buyer expresses an interest and then goes silent for days afterwards that really gets on my tits! Anything I sell in future will be subject to 'Silly Bollocks' rules - i.e. first to pay gets the item UNLESS an acceptable arrangement has been made via the gift of COMMUNICATION.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1426340439' post='2717107']
Blimey. Is this thread still running? My four penn'orth, for what it's worth, is that goods belong to the seller until money changes hands.
[/quote]

Or..if you've put it on hold, you've agreed to sell it to that person..
If someone said to me they were holding it for me, and then sold it, I'd be well p*****d off.
And, so it appears, was the newbie..???

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1426350883' post='2717236']
Or..if you've put it on hold, you've agreed to sell it to that person..
If someone said to me they were holding it for me, and then sold it, I'd be well p*****d off.
And, so it appears, was the newbie..???
[/quote]

Get that and the verbal contract therin but, poor communications from the buyer caused this issue as has been mentioned. So, unfortunately for the buyer, cost him the item. Learning point?

[quote name='andy67' timestamp='1426354807' post='2717281']
Get that and the verbal contract therin but, poor communications from the buyer caused this issue as has been mentioned. So, unfortunately for the buyer, cost him the item. Learning point?
[/quote]

Well, I don't see the newbie complaining here about it...and I don't know what he said to make the seller put it on hold,
but all we have is one side of the story.
We seem to not have a definition of 'hold'