Why become a member? ×

Paul Mcartney bass playing.

bubinga5

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1426021751' post='2713602']
I feel the same for Haight-Ashbury . I reckon i would be disappointed though. Not sure i would feel the 60`s vibe
[/quote]

I get that, for me, I think my appreciation and ability to understand the Beatles history and Liverpool will be higher at 61 then 20. In other words, I'm saying visiting Liverpool in my 60's will be the better experience.

Blue

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1426025754' post='2713665']
I visited Haight, Topanga Canyon, etc. at 29, and I found it to be awesome...
[/quote] Did you get the vibe of what happened 50 years ago? I would like to go, but no idea if you get the sense of what happened. I don`t believe you need to be around at the time to get the feeling of the place, but if all the history has gone, it will be hard to get any sense of what happened. It could be true, as i wasn`t born in the late 1800`s. I went to Tombstone a few years ago, and it was hard to feel any vibe there. I couldn`t really imagine Wyatt Earp strolling around the place. Seemed like a theme place more than anything

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1426039419' post='2713750']
Did you get the vibe of what happened 50 years ago? I would like to go, but no idea if you get the sense of what happened. I don`t believe you need to be around at the time to get the feeling of the place, but if all the history has gone, it will be hard to get any sense of what happened. It could be true, as i wasn`t born in the late 1800`s. I went to Tombstone a few years ago, and it was hard to feel any vibe there. I couldn`t really imagine Wyatt Earp strolling around the place. Seemed like a theme place more than anything
[/quote]

I had an amazing sense of the vibe of the place when I visited the Beatles former recording studios, Abbey Road last year. As soon as I walked up the steps into the reception I got the powerful vibe of its long musical history.
Having said that, The studio that they used - (No. 2 studio) was a lot smaller than I imagined it would be. I had always envisioned an enormous room in the pictures I had seen of it.

Edited by Hobbayne

I lived in san francisco, so went to [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Haight, as it was one of the few places you could get english cigarettes at the time. There wasn't really much of a sense of anything other than trying to get money out of tourists. However, it was interesting as they were filming George of the Jungle round the corner, that was good![/size][/font][/color]

Macca story

My big sis Rosie was a mahousive Beatles fan and thought Macca was the business

Turns out she meets him much later in life at some London gallery she was running

So I phoned her and asked.....what's he like then?....."he's very small" quoth she

"HE'S VERY TALL WHEN HE'S STANDING ON HIS MONEY" .....shouts Rosie's partner - loud enough for the whole street to hear

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1425578667' post='2708808']
I say;

[i]"If it wasn't for The Beatles none of us would be be playing electric bass guitars"[/i]

A lot of us had never seen an electric bass guitar until they came along. And it was passed down to each pop music generation.
[/quote]

Just as well the Beatles weren't that popular, otherwise we'd all be playing those dreadful Hofner violin basses.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1426197305' post='2715663']
My thoughts on The Hofner Violin Bass:

[i]"That style bass only looks cool on one guy, Paul McCartney."[/i]
[/quote]

I don't care whether it looks cool or not, it's a horrible thing to play.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1425578667' post='2708808']

I say;

[i]"If it wasn't for The Beatles none of us would be be playing electric bass guitars"[/i]

A lot of us had never seen an electric bass guitar until they came along. And it was passed down to each pop music generation.

Blue
[/quote]
The first bass guitarist I was aware of was Jet Harris:

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1426039419' post='2713750']
Did you get the vibe of what happened 50 years ago? I would like to go, but no idea if you get the sense of what happened. I don`t believe you need to be around at the time to get the feeling of the place, but if all the history has gone, it will be hard to get any sense of what happened. It could be true, as i wasn`t born in the late 1800`s. I went to Tombstone a few years ago, and it was hard to feel any vibe there. I couldn`t really imagine Wyatt Earp strolling around the place. Seemed like a theme place more than anything
[/quote]

Yes, I did.

A lot of it feels like a cash-in, but I've read enough books and heard enough accounts of what it was like to let my mind fill in the blanks.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1425495628' post='2707951']
You must not know the depth of the hard core Beatles fan. Liverpool, I would be in heaven just thinking about the history and breathing the air.
Blue
[/quote]

A late comment (dodgy internet connexion the last few weeks). A few years back we saw one of those 50/60s R&R/pop re-enactment shows at theatres in London, Birmingham, Wolverhampton and Liverpool. The same cast at each, the actors and musicians were all first rate (I won't mention the show). There was something different about the Liverpool audience, there was a buzz in the air, they were up for it. It was something I noticed. Maybe it was the venue (Empire theatre, played several times by the mop tops) or maybe the people. Even the taxi driver was talking about the show on the way back to the hotel.

Incidentally there was an interesting radio program at the weekend on the 'Scouse' language. Should be on iPlayer but perhaps not outside the UK.

Following this thread has reminded me just what a huge part of my life The Fab Four were, and still are. I was born in the North-West of England not far from Liverpool and was just entering my teens when they exploded onto the scene. My relationship with them is not just on a musical level - it's emotional. My life was evolving in parallel with The Beatles, and I always really 'got' what they were doing on an instinctive, kind of visceral level (maybe this is the point that Blue was trying to make). I remember the first time they played live (no recorded programming then) on British tv. It was an early-evening 'regional' current affairs programme, and they played one number - Love Me Do. The programme presenter was a very straight older (probably mid-30s!) guy and, to him, this was just another news item arising from the waves they were making in 'The Pool' and beyond. He didn't really get the music - but I certainly did, and the impact was [i]IMMEDIATE[/i]. From that moment on, my young life revolved around listening to Beatles music, trying to play it, waiting with baited breath for their next single or album to come out - and then being amazed at their ability to produce stuff that was always different, always better. I'll tell you someone else who [i]REALLY[/i] got it: Brian Wilson... which, at long last, brings me to one of my favourite Macca bass-lines: Back In The USSR (hope you didn't all fall asleep in the meantime).

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1427991677' post='2736824']

Even if it is... I still like it - Paul was probably playing drums the at the time!
[/quote]
He was! Ringo had temporarily left the band at this point, so they started without him.

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1427966112' post='2736321']
Following this thread has reminded me just what a huge part of my life The Fab Four were, and still are. I was born in the North-West of England not far from Liverpool and was just entering my teens when they exploded onto the scene. My relationship with them is not just on a musical level - it's emotional. My life was evolving in parallel with The Beatles, and I always really 'got' what they were doing on an instinctive, kind of visceral level (maybe this is the point that Blue was trying to make).[/quote]

Agreed, I was 11 years old in 1964. I flipped and have never been the same since, musically, emotionally or philosophically.

Blue