Why become a member? ×

Paul Mcartney bass playing.

bubinga5

Something to keep in mind is that Paul often played root notes whilst recording then over-dubbed the melodic Basslines afterwards.

To understand what the Beatles were all about, go to your local library and get a few books. Revolution is a good one to pick up, covering all their tracks.

[quote name='darren' timestamp='1425451510' post='2707401']
What are you unsure about exactly? and what is the point in going to Liverpool - It's 2015! Will they still get the Beatles in Liverpool?
[/quote]

Calm down, calm down!!! :lol:

[quote name='Jebo1' timestamp='1425455850' post='2707436']
Something to keep in mind is that Paul often played root notes whilst recording then over-dubbed the melodic Basslines afterwards....
[/quote]

... and why not; but his 'live' performances from an earlier era demonstrate an ability to play (and sing...) the complete bass lines, not just the 'root'. Many, if not most, of the later 'studio' work was a whole series of overdubs and remixes, as the technical aspect advanced, for the bass, but also all the instruments and voices.A lot of the later Beatles stuff would be almost impossible to produce live, anyway.

Something to keep in mind is that Paul often played root notes whilst recording then over-dubbed the melodic Basslines afterwards.

[/quote]

Indeed - he would refrain from recording the final bassline until he had heard the rest of the arrangement. The trick, he said, was to do this but make it sound like it had always been there.
Not sure why this needs to be 'kept in mind' though, as if it's a negative or something? It's a perfectly reasonable method of composing.

[quote name='darren' timestamp='1425451510' post='2707401']
What are you unsure about exactly? and what is the point in going to Liverpool - It's 2015! Will they still get the Beatles in Liverpool?
[/quote]

You must not know the depth of the hard core Beatles fan. Liverpool, I would be in heaven just thinking about the history and breathing the air.

Blue

To understand what the Beatles were all about, go to your local library and get a few books. Revolution is a good one to pick up, covering all their tracks.
[/quote]

Astute suggestion.

It's a history that anyone in rock should have some level of knowledge from.

They happened, they were huge, still are and will never be surpassed and we will never see that level of mass appeal or success from any band again. Not in our life time.

Blue

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1425496166' post='2707963']
Better still: watch The Beatles Anthology, and get a real feel of what it must have been like at the time. Incredible.
[/quote]

There's so much out there. To me it's all relevant because I was there.

Thing is even watching [i]"A Hard Days Night"[/i] could be of value to the right person with true interest in this phenomenal part of history. Unfortunately I can't imagine anyone under 50 actually 60 appreciating or understanding the film. To me A Hard Days Night is an unbelievable work of art, every frame.

Blue

Ha ha - ditto - in a service station on the way out of London in north Kent I was about to use the facilities when McCartney appears and asks if his wife (Heather) could use the bog as the ladies was bust. As any gentleman would, I let her use the cubicle then I went on to use the stand up facilities. McCartney went as well saying thank you very much for the help...

There should be a thread on toilet conversations with bass legends...

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1425496903' post='2707967']
There's so much out there. To me it's all relevant because I was there.

Thing is even watching [i]"A Hard Days Night"[/i] could be of value to the right person with true interest in this phenomenal part of history. Unfortunately I can't imagine anyone under 50 actually 60 appreciating or understanding the film. To me A Hard Days Night is an unbelievable work of art, every frame.

Blue
[/quote]

Flipping heck, you make a lot of assumptions about people. I find that totally patronising and I think you need to give younger generations more credit. I am not yet 40 but spent my teenage years lapping up any Beatles trivia, titbit and eveything I could get my hands, ears and eyes on. I know plenty of people a lot younger than me who are more obsessed than I ever was.

And yes, I watched all of the films, a lot. Even Hard Day's Night!

We don't all fit nicely into little pigeon holes. That's why there is so much diverse music out there.

Edited by Huge Hands

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1425548494' post='2708369']
Flipping heck, you make a lot of assumptions about people. I find that totally patronising and I think you need to give younger generations more credit. I am not yet 40 but spent my teenage years lapping up any Beatles trivia, titbit and eveything I could get my hands, ears and eyes on. I know plenty of people a lot younger than me who are more obsessed than I ever was.

We don't all fit nicely into little pigeon holes. That's why there is so much diverse music out there.
[/quote]

Agreed...look at the Gallagher bros....wouldn't have an act without Paul [i]et al[/i]

[quote name='Cairobill' timestamp='1425544844' post='2708309']
Ha ha - ditto - in a service station on the way out of London in north Kent I was about to use the facilities when McCartney appears and asks if his wife (Heather) could use the bog as the ladies was bust. As any gentleman would, I let her use the cubicle then I went on to use the stand up facilities. McCartney went as well saying thank you very much for the help...

There should be a thread on toilet conversations with bass legends...
[/quote]

Friend of my was doing some work at a London studio. Goes to the toilet and all of a sudden there's a big bloke with tattoos and fuzzy hair stood next to him. That's right- he was having a slash next to Slash.

Paul McCartney's quite good too. Same friend as above did a lot of work for him in the 80s and said all paul wanted to do was make music and be with the lads. Never mentioned his money once.

I feel it's time to confess, and this seems to be the right thread to do it on, that I used to actively avoid the Beatles and any derivative of (apart from a brief dalliance with Ringo's 'Thomas the Tank Engine' period) when I started playing bass (1992) because I though it was old people's music.

I confess that I was young and ignorant and stupid..

In my defence I spent my time transcribing loads of great albums, in particular Led Zep 2, Rush's Show of Hands and a pile of old soul/Motown records, so it's not all bad.

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1425548494' post='2708369']

[/quote]

Do I make assumptions about people and patronize?

[i]"Yes, under certain circumstances and situations with certain people"[/i]

It's really great that you recognized,acknowledged and studied Beatles history, however I think your the minority. Most (not all) of your generation dismiss The Beatles as old peoples music and don't think any further.

Much Respect

Blue

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1425576601' post='2708782']
So much of it has been documented that I don't really think it's that hard to get what the Beatles were about. (even as individuals)
Edit to say.. same as the Stones for that matter.
[/quote]

If you have a genuine interest in this history, then with a little effort I think younger folks can easily get a high level idea what The Beatles were about. Problem is, most young people don't have this interest and again dismiss The Beatles as merely old peoples music.

I say;

[i]"If it wasn't for The Beatles none of us would be be playing electric bass guitars"[/i]

A lot of us had never seen an electric bass guitar until they came along. And it was passed down to each pop music generation.

Blue

Edited by blue