Why become a member? ×

Why did I ever agree to that

Nicko

We are torn between playing stuff we like and playing stuff the baying masses like. Myself and the drummer want to play rock music, the lead guitarist and accordion player think everyone wants to hear traditional stuff and the acoustic guitar player will do whatever he's told. What we've ended up with, I hope, is an eclectic group of numbers that will please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time as the old adage goes. Trouble is when we play dances, functions etc. we are forced into playing some horrendous dirges, which seem to go down really well. We have to gauge what kind of audience is in that night and then you know whether you are going to feel great about your art, or feel like a machine, going through the motions, although, I will say, some of the best nights we've had, have been playing old standards to a more mature audience. We've also found that if you give them their basic fare of brown eyed girls and wagon wheels, that you can throw in a couple of rock songs and get away with it.
It's a funny old game being a cover band, certainly in the west of Scotland.

I do , however, have certain songs I will never touch.
Mustang Sally
Money for nothing
Walk of life
American pie
Anything by the Doors
Anything by the Beatles
I think there's a couple of others but they have been burned from my memory!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1423692640' post='2688095']
Holy crap, I'd forgotten about some of these horrors!
Every morning I get down on my knees and thank God I'm not in a cover band. At the moment.
[/quote]

Its all music.
I can remember the unbridled joy of playing heavily syncopated runs into an odd meter of (usually 5/4 it was the 90's) for whole rehearsals...

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1423673424' post='2687808']
There are still bands out there who think Mustang Sally is cool and fun!
[/quote]

It's a long time since I played it but I bet there's still crowds at functions who love it

Think I'd rather play mustang than 500 miles , but it's all so subjective

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1423679753' post='2687901']
Why? Because I have an option that differes from others in this thread.

Is it only bass players that have this high and mighty attitude I wonder?

I understand some people hate certain songs, I have no issue with that, but why do some make blanket statements that something someone else likes is crap? What gives certain people the feeling that they know better than others?

If these songs weren't so popular we wouldn't have to play them. But then the general public are idiots and have no idea what they should like aren't?

No having a go at you personally, it just gets my goat when I'm told by someone better than me that what I like is wrong ;-)
[/quote]

Blimey Dave! Of course you're entitled to an opinion but so am I. I'm not suggesting that mine is better than yours, but II can't stand middle of the road "dad" rock, and I'm really not keen on C&W, so this song is complete anathema to me.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1423694598' post='2688133']
I remember those, so depressing!
Nothing worse than hearing some faceless session band kill a number you didn't want to hear by the original artist in the first place!
[/quote]

Oh I don't know, they had their plus points;

[URL=http://s30.photobucket.com/user/KevB64/media/22HotHits11_zps67a766f1.jpg.html][IMG]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c307/KevB64/22HotHits11_zps67a766f1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

;)

Alright by Supergrass
Gravity by Embrace
Riders on the Storm by The Doors
Fix You by Coldplay
This is how it feels by Inspiral Carpets

All songs in our repertoire - and now songs that everyone in the band refuse to play (except our keyboard player)

I was in a band that decided it would be amusing for a bunch of blokes in their 40s to play an "Ironic" version of Like a Virgin. This horror was in the set for about 6 months before the "joke" wore thin. The band split up about 15 years ago but I still cringe whenever I hear it.

[quote name='Buzzy' timestamp='1423753203' post='2688639']
I was in a band that decided it would be amusing for a bunch of blokes in their 40s to play an "Ironic" version of Like a Virgin. This horror was in the set for about 6 months before the "joke" wore thin. The band split up about 15 years ago but I still cringe whenever I hear it.
[/quote]

Ha, this is on a set list for a new 80s functions band we've got going, although we have a female lead who can pull it off .

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1423759030' post='2688737']
Ha, this is on a set list for a new 80s functions band we've got going, although we have a female lead who can pull it off .
[/quote]

Ha. You might want to rephrase that - or maybe not :ph34r:

Edited by mr zed

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1423658873' post='2687506']
we were recently asked for a special request at a wedding

rita coolidge - all time high

got to be a serious contender for worst song ever recorded
[/quote]

I just went to YouTube to find out about that one. Now considering blocking you. <_<

I was in a very short-lived 80s band and found myself having to play 'Sit Down' by James and 'Walking on Sunshine' by whoever the hell it was sang it. Both are 'switch off or change channels' tracks for me if they came on the radio, ordinarily. Luckily we only lasted 2 gigs.

Edited by Paul S

I must say, I am slightly jealous of all the players who can choose which " good " songs to play.If we played the songs we liked, we would get hauled off and never get another booking. I was told years ago, you have to play what the people want to hear. We ignored this advice and played songs we liked. Over the years we gradually learned which songs to drop and which went down well. It's amazing, the rubbish that people want to hear again and again, especially at functions. What we have to remember is, some of these people don't get out much and don't have the " pleasure" of hearing these songs over and over and over, so they demand brown eyed girl and they dance to it and we have to put up with it.

For me, its not good songs or bad songs, its more 'overdone songs' - 50 odd years of electrified pop music to draw from, much of which people have danced excitedly to, I'm amazed that many set lists distill down to such a narrow band of songs; with the same material cropping up in set lists across the land.

If you set list isn't to your liking do something about it.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1423819299' post='2689295']
I must say, I am slightly jealous of all the players who can choose which " good " songs to play.If we played the songs we liked, we would get hauled off and never get another booking. I was told years ago, you have to play what the people want to hear. We ignored this advice and played songs we liked. Over the years we gradually learned which songs to drop and which went down well. It's amazing, the rubbish that people want to hear again and again, especially at functions. What we have to remember is, some of these people don't get out much and don't have the " pleasure" of hearing these songs over and over and over, so they demand brown eyed girl and they dance to it and we have to put up with it.
[/quote]

I 100% agree, but I cant help feeling I should daw a Venn diagam here.

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1423678988' post='2687888']
^^^^ Denise LaSalle - 1985 I have it on a cd..........I'll get me coat...........

:)
[/quote]
[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1423679272' post='2687892']
Saddo :D

And of course Frankie including the twee bass intro (which my sister named her daughter after!)
[/quote]

I have both of these 'classics' on the "Hits 3' Album - on vinyl!

my old originals band used to drop a toy keyboard fuled version of nelly furdado's maneater in our set.
At christmas once we covered Meriah Cary's All I want for christmas is you, cheesy but actually quite fun as a one off as our singer could do it justice (abet in a scottish brogue)

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1423664503' post='2687627']

One of the members of the band seem to like suggesting songs from 'Dads Rock 100' type CDs you see on fathers day or the playlist from a karaoke machine.
[/quote]

Ha ha. I've just started rehearsing with a second band whose whole mission is to play songs "from one of those Father's Day CDs"

We'll see what transpires.

[quote name='NoRhino' timestamp='1423933525' post='2690555']
I've just started rehearsing with a second band whose whole mission is to play songs "from one of those Father's Day CDs"
We'll see what transpires.
[/quote]

Better hold off on the e's and wizz until you see the set list. ;)