Why become a member? ×

Advice required re: Trust on Basschat

cloudburst

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1423268374' post='2683101']
.....I've also offered up my flawless BC feedback.....
.....I also feel that the seller is disrespecting my good name which is comprehensively evidenced in BC feedback....
[/quote]

Maybe the seller, like me, has had past experiences on the forum that have led him to believe that "Flawless Basschat Feedback" is no guarantee of anything.

At the end of the day how he wants to accept payment is up to him, not anybody else.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1423281427' post='2683135']
No real point trying to claim the moral high ground if you give enough information to identify the seller and item in question quite easily without naming names - there are plenty of valid reasons to ask for a cash sale, and not everyone is willing to be trusting on high value transactions regardless of who they are dealing with (which is quite understandable IMHO).
[/quote]

I'd prefer an instant bank transfer, tbh. With real, physical money, there's always a risk of counterfeited money, and there's also a risk of getting mugged and having the money stolen from you. Straight into the bank, for me, please. It's where the money will end up, anyway.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1423316523' post='2683428']
At the end of the day how he wants to accept payment is up to him, not anybody else.
[/quote]

True, but the seller has to be accommodating of the buyer's needs/wants too. As I said, I'm happier with a bank transfer at that sum of money. I might consider a cash sale, but if it feels wrong to me, I will either insist on a bank transfer (which makes it seem like something dodgy to the seller), or walk away from the sale.

This is why retailers offer multiple ways to pay. Some people are just happier with certain formats.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1423316656' post='2683429']

I'd prefer an instant bank transfer, tbh. With real, physical money, there's always a risk of counterfeited money, and there's also a risk of getting mugged and having the money stolen from you. Straight into the bank, for me, please. It's where the money will end up, anyway.
[/quote]

Not unknown in car trading circles.

Punter turns up to buy car - offers to pay cash, let's say £10,000 for an M3. Deal done, he drives off. 5 minutes later, 3 lads in balaclavas and with a machete turn up on the doorstep, force their way in, and demand the cash, then drive off in a second car.

Outcome - no car, no cash.

Fake contact details for buyer, no pictures of anyone, and no evidence to speak of. When I've ever accepted any amount of cash for anything, I've always done the transaction at the bank and paid it straight in. They can then check for counterfeits too.

Cash deposited and checked for fakes, the keys get handed over.

My take on this is that if you were keen to buy this keyboard S/h without warrnty for £1650 and happy to transfer funds then what diiference does it make paying cash other than having take it out of the bank and carry a substantial amount of money around ?
The sellers financial or banking circumstances are neither here nor there.
For me the question would be was I comfortable buying a complex electronic device with no comeback or spending a considerable amount more, 400quid is quite a chunk for me,to buy a nice shiny new one with warranty from a local dealer.
Is it that the sellers approach has raised concerns about his general trustworthiness regarding the instrument rather than why he wants cash ?
Personally I'd not worry about the cash thing if it was this sh keyboard that I wanted to buy.

Pleaes let us know how it pans out
Good luck!

[quote name='lonestar' timestamp='1423317062' post='2683442']
The sellers financial or banking circumstances are neither here nor there.
[/quote]

Agreed!

[quote name='lonestar' timestamp='1423317062' post='2683442']
For me the question would be was I comfortable buying a complex electronic device with no comeback or spending a considerable amount more, 400quid is quite a chunk for me,to buy a nice shiny new one with warranty from a local dealer.
[/quote]

Indeed, it is quite a chunk of money. But, I feel that if I had saved up £1600, that saving an extra £400 wouldn't be that much bother.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1423316907' post='2683438']
True, but the seller has to be accommodating of the buyer's needs/wants too.
[/quote]

That's the thing, he doesn't have to. It's up to him how he wants to sell stuff, and at what price.

We can try to negotiate, but his is the last word, he has the right to put whetever conditions he wants to. You have the right to pass.

Depending who you bank with, transfers aren't necessarily instant, so this talk of an instant transfer all depends on who you bank with.

I sold an amp on here last year. It took 48 hours for the money to arrive in my account. He banks with Santander.

Faster payments can take 2 hours, though the bank is allowed to take up to 48 hours.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1423317758' post='2683460']
That's the thing, he doesn't have to. It's up to him how he wants to sell stuff, and at what price.

We can try to negotiate, but his is the last word, he has the right to put whetever conditions he wants to. You have the right to pass.
[/quote]

True, but it is easier to sell if one accommodates the buyer. He doesn't have to, you're right, but for the sake of closing the deal, he should.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1423317815' post='2683462']
I sold an amp on here last year. It took 48 hours for the money to arrive in my account. He banks with Santander.
[/quote]

Yes, sometimes it isn't instant. I sold my iPad on BC last week, and the buyer paid by bank transfer, and even though his bank said that it could take until the end of the next banking day to go through (which would have been Tuedsday, as the deal was done on a Saturday night), it was in my account almost instantly.

It's often quite quick, although not always.

Cash also can be risky as there are a lot of forged notes out there. I sold one of my bikes last year and the buyer paid 6k in cash. I had a rather unsettling time at the bank as their machine flagged up a couple of hundred quids worth of potentially dodgy fifty quid notes. All finally proved to be ok but the bank told me it is quite common for any large sum in cash to contain a few fakes.

I seem to recall a story where someone arrived to pay & collect an item.

The buyer paid electronically while there, and the goods changed hands.

5 mins after the buyer left the buyer called his bank and cancelled the transaction as an error. Money gets pulled straight out again. It's so close to the original transfer the bank just do it.

I've been very trusting on here, and folks have been very trusting of me. We fire off large amounts of money to complete strangers on items sight unseen very regularly on the forum. Most of us presumably have faith in positive human nature, and fortunately find we are in good company much of the time.

I view this from the other direction though- I'm surprised we are not all more cautious round here, and the seller is displaying sensible skepticism towards a large transaction with a guy he has never met. He has the potential to lose his synth and a payment of £1650 in one fell swoop, so wants the cash in his hand. Very sensible I'd say.

You know you are trustworthy, he knows he is trustworthy, but you don't know each other from Jack.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1423318366' post='2683477']
Cash also can be risky as there are a lot of forged notes out there. I sold one of my bikes last year and the buyer paid 6k in cash. I had a rather unsettling time at the bank as their machine flagged up a couple of hundred quids worth of potentially dodgy fifty quid notes. All finally proved to be ok but the bank told me it is quite common for any large sum in cash to contain a few fakes.
[/quote]

I sold a bass last year, withdrew the cash from natwest. One of the 20's was a fake.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1423318169' post='2683466']
TBH, If, as the OP states, the seller is a member on here, I find it quite weird that you're all discussing this in public in the first place. :blink:
[/quote]This!

If a seller asks for a method of payment I don't agree with, I would not take it as a slight on me, I would just look elsewhere, and quite honestly, this should not have gone public, as I'm sure the BC'er who is the seller and has done nothing wrong, is going to read this thread sooner or later. :sad:

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1423318169' post='2683466']
TBH, If, as the OP states, the seller is a member on here, I find it quite weird that you're all discussing this in public in the first place. :blink:
[/quote]

Glad I'm not alone.

I must admit that I've never had a problem with large cash, or online purchases or transfers either through fora, or eBay/Gumtree.

However, I do always transfer the money out of the account it's been put in within a few minutes of it being there, so I obviously don't trust the method completely.

I used to run the bar for my local tennis club, and would regularly leave the premises with well over 1K in cash, taking it home to pay into a bank later. I know I far prefer the online method for my own comfort.

I think on this occasion the general conscensus has been made known , I dont think this needs topic needs any further exploration , if a general trustworthy topic needs raising then that should be the way to continue this discussion .
There are plenty of hints and tips in the marketplace to help come to these sort of decisions.