Why become a member? ×

I weighed my basses - surprising results!

JapanAxe

Having seen BC members quote weights for the basses they are selling, I have often wondered what my own basses weigh. I borrowed an accurate digital scale (indicates to nearest 10g) from work and carefully weighed all my basses:

Fender Mustang 3.96kg = 8lb11½oz
Sandberg VM4 4.20kg = 9lb4oz
1973 Precision 4.20kg = 9lb4oz
G&L L1505 4.33kg = 9lb8½oz

The Precision 'feels' heavier than the Sandberg, but is the same weight.

The Mustang is short scale, so much shorter than those two, and 'feels' a lot lighter (i.e. by more than the actual 204g/8½oz).

Most surprising is the G&L - this feels like much harder work when I play it, even though the action is fine, and I would have put it at 10-11lb. In fact it is only 130g/4½oz heavier than the Sandberg and Precision. I think the key factor is the width of the neck, both when initially picking it up to play, and whilst actually playing. I use the same Comfort Strapp for all these basses, yet I have an achier shoulder when I have played the G&L. I guess I am tensing up my left arm muscles more when I play it.

Anyone else been surprised when weighing their bass?

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1423138245' post='2681194']
7.9kg = 17lb6oz. Blimey!
[/quote]

...how!?

Warwick Corvette I had balanced perfectly but weighed just over 6kg. Current bass is made of all the exact same woods but haven't got round to weighing it yet. It has a little neck dive but still feels much lighter than the corvette.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1423142317' post='2681302']
...how!?

Warwick Corvette I had balanced perfectly but weighed just over 6kg. Current bass is made of all the exact same woods but haven't got round to weighing it yet. It has a little neck dive but still feels much lighter than the corvette.
[/quote]
1kg = 2.2lb

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1423141468' post='2681283']
Yes it's all about balance. A well-balanced bass that is comfortable will always seem lighter than one of the same weight that doesn't balance as well or is less comfortable to play.
[/quote]

Exactly this.

I have no idea how the HB is so weighty. Its a Jazz in natural finish, black scratchplate, a copy of the Fender 75 J I believe,

Luckily I only use it for 3 songs in my current set ( 4 if the drummer gets in a bit too quickly with the intro to "Sat in Your Lap" ) but even that digs in to the old shoulder a bit.

Im seriously thinking of routing away some wood underneath the scratchplate to try and lighten it a bit. Anyone know the pros and cons of such an exercise?

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1423213382' post='2682189']
I have no idea how the HB is so weighty. Its a Jazz in natural finish, black scratchplate, a copy of the Fender 75 J I believe,

Luckily I only use it for 3 songs in my current set ( 4 if the drummer gets in a bit too quickly with the intro to "Sat in Your Lap" ) but even that digs in to the old shoulder a bit.

Im seriously thinking of routing away some wood underneath the scratchplate to try and lighten it a bit. Anyone know the pros and cons of such an exercise?
[/quote]

You would probably be better off getting a light-weight Jazz body and transferring everything over to that!

• 1 year later...

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1423089479' post='2680749']
Most surprising is the G&L - this feels like much harder work when I play it, even though the action is fine, and I would have put it at 10-11lb. In fact it is only 130g/4½oz heavier than the Sandberg and Precision. I think the key factor is the width of the neck, both when initially picking it up to play, and whilst actually playing. I use the same Comfort Strapp for all these basses, yet I have an achier shoulder when I have played the G&L. I guess I am tensing up my left arm muscles more when I play it.

Anyone else been surprised when weighing their bass?
[/quote]

Interesting one, as the new owner of your G&L I have a theory. The neck is quite beefy (not as much as a Warwick FNA that I had) and with such basses it's a case of getting used to them. In addition you have very "beefy" flat stings on it. I have had EB flats before and think they sound great but they are "heavy" on the fingers and hands. The balance is great (better than my Warwick was) but it isn't a guitar to leap around the stage with as the pup picks lots of the sound from your fingers so good concentration is needed to get the best from it. Note: I'm in love with the sound coming while it sitting around playing it at home but haven't played it on stage yet

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1423181011' post='2682068']
It's all about the balance point.
[/quote]

Definitely...I had a Bongo recently that I though was one of the lightest basses that I had owned until it came to weighing it for the new owner. I was astounded to find that it was over 10lb. This was because it was well balanced and comfortable.

Edited by Pinball

Glad you're liking the G&L Ed! I did suffer a pang of seller's regret but I have just made an offer on a rather lush P so that feeling soon went.

I think you're right, there are factors in play other than the weight of the instrument. Playing the Mustang feels like a night off because the short scale means less of a stretch for the left arm/hand/fingers, even though it doesn't weigh that much less than my '73. I must get round to weighing my '63 RI...

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1465741468' post='3070634']
Glad you're liking the G&L Ed! I did suffer a pang of seller's regret but I have just made an offer on a rather lush P so that feeling soon went.
[/quote]

I hope that you get what you want.

I have wide (but now dodgy) shoulders and balance wise Stingrays and ESP Surveyors work best for me, Fenders J's and P's are OK and Spector's and Warwick's don't sit well. The latter feel at best awkward and heavier than they actually are.

• 2 months later...

Just got a Lull PJ4 weighing 7lb 12oz, and already have an old P weighing 8lb 9oz, which is enough for me.

My Jack Casady weighs only 8lb 1oz, but the hollow body does make it more neck heavy than the other two tho.

Getting older now so can't be bothered with hefty heavy basses any more.

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1423090795' post='2680775']
Oh yes, I was VERY shocked to see my HB come in at 7.9kg
[/quote]

What model? Mine I got coming in at around 14lb... which is pretty heavy. I'm going to take some wood away from under the pickgaurd. ...as it's just too heavy to be comfy

I once played a 70's Jazz that was just shy of 16lbs , try before you buy and all that!

I also gigged a Ricky for a bit on loan, that was the lightest bass I have ever known but it wanted to tip up all night giving me wrist ache in my left wrist from holding it up all the time even when I just wanted a swig of my drink or what not!

Edited by stingrayPete1977