Why become a member? ×

Would a bad Keyboard Player make you quit a band ?

KennysFord

In light of the recent drummer thread I thought I'd post this to see if folks have the same opinion.
I've been suffering in silence ( for the most part ) with our keyboard players over enthusiastic left hand in my function band for the last two and a half years. I've made the odd quip here and there about the band having two bass players but the guy is that sensitive I'm loathed to broach the subject with him.
The band has hit a bit of a dry patch whilst we found a replacement singer, the last one quit a couple of months back.We managed to find a replacement singer last week but even during the auditions I found myself stopping playing at points where he was playing all over me, it reinforced just how frustrating it is playing with him. I don't understand why he can't hear the horrible mush it's creating. The thing is though that he's the father of the guy that runs the band. Personally he's a nice enough guy but hyper sensitive when it comes to mentioning things like his left hand.
I should add, his right hand is fine :lol:

Edited by kennyrodgers

You've tried to broach the subject but it hasn't worked.
It sounds as if he must be at least middle-aged, so what are the chances of him changing now?
Unless you really need the money, I'd say go now before you become more bitter.
Maybe line another band up before you go.

In my last band we sacked our keyboard player. He just played exactly the same chords as the guitarist but at a higher volume (so everything turned to mush). The last straw was at a rehearsal when he spent the whole 3 hours playing with his laptop (on the floor under the keyboard) with one hand and the other hand on the keyboard. He managed to produce a lot of noises, many of them similar to white noise, but nothing that resembled what he was supposed to be playing. He got his marching orders the next day.

Why did the last singer leave? Was it related?

Honestly unless you really need the money, I would mention that it has to change as there is only room for one bassline, so if he wants to do it, there is no need for you to be doing it. Maybe he wouldn't take it well if he is oversensitive, but what is the other choice?

In answer to the thread title, no it wouldn't - unless the band had run its course.

Sounds very much like a piano player who has moved over to keyboards. I have experience of this, instead of the odd quip, have a face to face conversation, between you and him - go for a curry and discuss it.

Alternatively

When I first joined the band there was one song that he sewn the bass part up so tight that I just stopped playing and went for a drink. As new material came in, I found my way through this was to let him play him bass lines as this allowed me to explore some of the more rarefied areas of the fret board, when this raised a few eyebrows I stopped and pointed directly at the keyboard player and said he's playing the ****ing bass line that I should play. Made my point and things improved.

Edited by No lust in Jazz

I wouldn't quit because of a bad keyboard player - I'd quit because of ANY keyboard player.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are great keyboard players out there, but I've not been lucky enough to be in a band with any of 'em.

There's nothing worse than a keys player with a heavy left hand, and they all have them. IMHO, the best keys players are those who are not necessarily keys players but add texture and depth in a subtle and creative way. A keys player who is essentially a pianist is a nightmare. He will imagine he is the one everybody's come to see and the rest of the band are just supporting him in concert. They are NOT team players!

When I was at uni I played in a band with a piano player who drove us up the wall. Everything he played sounded like Bill Bailey doing a cockney knees-up, and we were trying to play jazz. Me and the drummer broke up the band on some pretext or other, then formed a new band without him in it. It seemed like a great idea until we bumped into him on the way to a rehearsal! That was awkward...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1421012088' post='2656239']
I wouldn't quit because of a bad keyboard player - I'd quit because of ANY keyboard player.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are great keyboard players out there, but I've not been lucky enough to be in a band with any of 'em.

There's nothing worse than a keys player with a heavy left hand, and they all have them. IMHO, the best keys players are those who are not necessarily keys players but add texture and depth in a subtle and creative way. A keys player who is essentially a pianist is a nightmare. He will imagine he is the one everybody's come to see and the rest of the band are just supporting him in concert. They are NOT team players!
[/quote]

This what I really wanted to say. But I was trying to be diplomatic, not that it's ever got me anywhere.

Both the long term band I was with in the late 80s/early 90s & the band I was in briefly a few years ago I left because of the keyboard players.

Not because of their playing but because they were both total *****.

Edited by RhysP

See if you can record a rehearsal or gig and ask him what he thinks, specifically, of the bass and keyboard inter-play.

If he doesn't see a problem then you'd need to say that you think there is a problem and it's making it hard for you feel happy with the bands sound.

Truckstop

A long time ago I noticed that our keys player was playing bass on his left hand that really clashed with what I needed to play. It's what keys players do naturally so he didn't notice. I pointed out that we were clashing and he stopped immediately and now adds other layers of sound. My point is that if your keys player is a decent bloke he'll see what you mean and play for the good of the band.

Hey all.
Appreciate all the replies, many thanks.
In answer to some posts....
Yes, he's middle aged and maybe set in his ways but even so, you'd kinda hope he'd be able to hear what's going on, maybe even ask me to change what I'm doing then it doesn't clash with him but nada. We play a varied set, typical wedding / function type fayre and I try as best as I can to cop the original lines and I'm not one to play four notes when one will do.
Discreet,
I think you've nailed it with this
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]"A keys player who is essentially a pianist is a nightmare. He will imagine he is the one everybody's come to see and the rest of the band are just supporting him in concert. They are NOT team players"[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3] B)[/size][/font][/color]

Edited by kennyrodgers

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1421014007' post='2656275']
...record a rehearsal or gig and ask him what he thinks, specifically, of the bass and keyboard inter-play. If he doesn't see a problem then you'd need to say that you think there is a problem and it's making it hard for you feel happy with the bands sound.
[/quote]

It's a good idea to record rehearsals as a matter of course. Then if any 'issues' arise they can be examined in the cold light of day, away from the rehearsal room or venue. If he then can't hear what the problem is, either he goes or you do. By the way, being middle-aged doesn't stop you from hearing things... I hear loads of things, me - mostly the voice of God telling me to kill Elizabeth Truss MP.

Edited by discreet

Keyboard player in a band I was in was always weighing in heavy with the left hand, often conflicting with my space.
One night in a pub gig we gaffa taped the lower couple of octaves keys on his piano - he laughed it off , problem solved!

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1421017439' post='2656353']
Its no different from anyone else in a group...
[/quote]

I dunno. In my experience keyboard players really are something else. They think they're SO great, even when they're SO crap! They're worse than guitarists! They have those little vanity cases with hair products in, and a photograph of themselves that they put on top of their keyboards when they play. And they wear weird gay clothes. And they run like girls. They smell! :on_the_quiet:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1421017742' post='2656356']
I dunno. In my experience keyboard players really are something else. They think they're SO great, even when they're SO crap! They're worse than guitarists! They have those little vanity cases with hair products in, and a photograph of themselves that they put on top of their keyboards when they play. And they wear weird gay clothes. And they run like girls. They smell! :on_the_quiet:
[/quote]

Yeh, but [b][i]apart[/i][/b] from that, they are the same as everyone else

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1421012088' post='2656239']

[/quote]
Either I'm incredibly lucky or you've only ever encountered crap kbdists. All the ivorytinklers i've ever played with have been great. My current bandmate got heavy with his left one time, I mentioned it, he apologised profusely and has never done it since. If the OP's bandmate was a team player, he would do the same without getting precious about it.